Party Poker $25 No Limit Hold'em - 4 players - View hand 1999797
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

CO: $20.34
      BTN: $17.52
      Hero (SB): $25.00
      BB: $36.21

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is SB with 4 :club: 4 :spade:
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.75, BB calls $0.50

Flop: ($1.50) 3 :club: Q :heart: 6 :spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, BB bets $1, Hero folds

Villain: unknown reg.

Is this check/fold not way too weak? I mean, could we not even just cBet our whole range on this flop vs an unknown reg?

My plan for the turn if I cBet: check/fold without improving.
  • 3 replies
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Avatars91,

We could still CB here whilst we definitely have fold equity + also some backdoors even which may work out. :) He may also float the flop even with Ace high here so could even 2nd barrel.

Best Regards.
      Bronze
      He may also float the flop even with Ace high here so could even 2nd barrel.

2nd barreling on any turn card with this hand in this spot as a default on these limits vs unknowns = good, right?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      I think check/folding is fine unless you have good folding equity both on flop and on good barrel cards. Usually any card that is good for you on the turn improves him as well so you end up with less folds and the only way to make the play +EV would be to fire river as well when both pair + draw ranges miss to make him fold anything but Qx. The problem is being SB vs BB, you get the least amount of credit for a hand here when you barrel and your equity is abismal. His bluffs have 25%+ so he can quite profitably float or bluff raise.

Ranges are quite different than when you open UTG and you can rep very strong Qx and not a lot of air. At the same time, he defends a lot more Qx hands and 65, 63s type hands even so his postflop value range is also wider to begin with. What I mean is, your air range increases and his value range does the same. It means you can't use the same ideas like from when opening a tight range, unless you actually do open a very tight range from SB. Do you? Are you perceived as doing so? If you open tight and he doesn't know, bluffing is still bad since he perceives you as having a wide range anyway.