[NL2-NL10] Pair on board

• Crixus26
      Crixus26
      Bronze
      Pacific, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

UTG+2: $1.20 (60 bb)
      MP1: $2.89 (144.5 bb)
      MP2: $0.80 (40 bb)
      MP3: $2.24 (112 bb)
      CO: $2.38 (119 bb)
      BTN: $0.45 (22.5 bb)
      SB: $2 (100 bb)
      BB: $4.18 (209 bb)
      Hero (UTG+1): $2.08 (104 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with K A
      Hero raises to $0.08, UTG+2 calls $0.08, MP1 calls $0.08, 6 folds

Flop: ($0.27) T K T (3 players)
      Hero bets $0.14, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $0.14

Turn: ($0.55) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.27, MP1 calls $0.27

River: ($1.09) 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 bets $0.81, Hero folds

Results:
      $1.09 pot ($0.06 rake)
      Final Board: T K T 2 9
      MP1 mucked and won $1.03 ($0.54 net)
      Hero mucked K A and lost (-$0.49 net)

Hi,

Please need advice on this hand.
      I raised on flop to test the waters. Raised again on turn, but there is flush, full house or only 3 T's possible for the villain. After he called turn, I assumed he has something better than my Kings.
  • 3 replies
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      I like the raise preflop.
      But I don't like the reasoning you give... 'testing the waters' isn't a very clear or rational reason for a raise. Instead, it should be for value as you have a premium hand and want to get money in the pot so you can win it! Also, folding is right-out and limping puts you out of position versus later callers who are more likely to call because you made the pot bigger (plus they'd call anyways).

On the Flop and Turn you c-bet. I think this is great, though it isn't a 'raise' as you describe. But the sizing is much too small. You are giving great odds for the other players to call with a wide range of draws. Instead bet 75%-85% of the pot to protect your good hand from draws and to get value from people who are behind you.

On the turn I don't mind the bet either. A flush draw was only part of the villain's range. If he starts to show aggression I would then consider a fold. Luckily you have opened your back-door nut-flush with you Ace of Spades. Again, the bet size is quite small compared to the pot and doesn't maximize value or possible protection versus straight draws.

On the river, why do you check? You showed aggression the whole time, and the 9h doesn't really change anything unless you put the villain on exactly QJ, which is hard to do. When he calls the turn, he may have something better than your kinds. But at NL2 there is also a good chance he has KQ or something like K9. With no other stats or reads, and just his passive play, I wouldn't give him to much credit.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello Crixus26,

By the way it's not a raise on the flop but just a Bet. We are betting there for value + protection. Though as played betting on both streets & Check/Folding river seems to be fine but you just need to do it bigger.

Best Regards.
    • Crixus26
      Crixus26
      Bronze
      Thanks guys for the reply and your opinion...definitely my bets should be bigger, I will work on that ;)