poker is not as it was

    • CRI4BRA
      CRI4BRA
      Bronze
      Joined: 14.02.2008 Posts: 147
      2012 poker tables

      nits

      regs

      some sharks

      - coolered hands - bonus from software

      i thought these days of moving my roll to some other trading activities than poker

      for example : play on a horse which has decent chances to win on the racetrack is so much better ( + ev ) than buying in on a 2012 poker table

      and this is only an example, there are many markets on the net



      edit to add something meaningful to the situation

      the fact that so much people are so concerned about the rakeback they got now and what they had before is simply telling that they are not getting money for skill differential anymore, but from a quarter of rake which is max 5% of the pot

      so really someone is calling herself a poker player and is so desperate about a 1.25% of the money they contribute to the pot?

      bunch of nits playing 12+ multitabling they are the future pokerplayers, and the thing is keeping them at the tables is the 1.25% of the money they put in the pot

      no thank you, and have fun at the tables
  • 21 replies
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Bronze
      Joined: 24.03.2008 Posts: 447
      Ok...Bye!

      +

      "play on a horse which has decent chances to win on the racetrack is so much better ( + ev ) than buying in on a 2012 poker table" = LOL :heart:
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      Joined: 18.07.2010 Posts: 694
      Well, a couple of extra percentages we can get back from the rake we pay can be significant because the rake is HUGE.

      And the games are much tougher than it was a couple of years ago so now every bit counts.
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      Joined: 25.01.2010 Posts: 4,816
      games are still good, quit bitching


      ofc they are not as good as they were before, when any 11/9 could win @ 5bb/100 on midstakes, but oh well.
    • martoman2k10
      martoman2k10
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.08.2010 Posts: 669
      well it's like that with many things. When I used to play CS in 2005 - the skill level all round was dire, even at top levels, compared to now. Games evolve, and so should the players playing them - in order to be successful.

      Go do something productive with your time - put the TV on.
    • Krishjanis
      Krishjanis
      Bronze
      Joined: 04.01.2010 Posts: 977
      boo hoo life got hard, i sad
    • tommygecko
      tommygecko
      Bronze
      Joined: 11.08.2012 Posts: 1,229
      Well I started not too long ago too I would have to say if I started in like 2007 or 2008 I wouldn't be as good back then as I am now because there probably weren't many online learning materials available back then. So IMO it's true people are more skillful now but if you study hard enough with the resources available now you can still be ahead easily. Just like in real life you got to adapt to changes.

      Furthermore there are still fishes out there, I see so many players limp/call or limp/raise with premium hands and play passively afterwards it is quite astonishing.
    • JimC6
      JimC6
      Bronze
      Joined: 01.04.2011 Posts: 458
      Betting on horses is way way -EV, I have a few bets now and again but it's one of them things if you want to make money from it you need to put an awful lot of time into it and even then you can't be sure, I have seen horses that on paper have everything pointing to the win but then they come last.


      Also there are worse bad beats too, a few times I have seen horses 10+ lengths clear with less than a furlong and then they trip, the jockey falls off or some other crazy shit.


      I agree there is better places to put your money though, this season I have made 10 times more betting on F1 than I have at poker. That is because I really love F1, I watch everything to do with F1, I read everything there is on F1 and am a bit obsessed playing F1 on PS3.
    • hackbinder
      hackbinder
      Bronze
      Joined: 15.05.2009 Posts: 618
      Originally posted by CRI4BRA
      no thank you, and have fun at the tables
      i think the FUN is the biggest reason people play

      it IS a game

      playing games is fun

      playing challenging games can be more fun

      I guess you don't like fun

      ;)
    • sileekhunt
      sileekhunt
      Bronze
      Joined: 09.06.2010 Posts: 286
      bwahahahahahaha :D
    • CRI4BRA
      CRI4BRA
      Bronze
      Joined: 14.02.2008 Posts: 147
      Originally posted by hackbinder
      Originally posted by CRI4BRA
      no thank you, and have fun at the tables
      i think the FUN is the biggest reason people play

      it IS a game

      playing games is fun

      playing challenging games can be more fun

      I guess you don't like fun

      ;)

      i will tell you a secret , but dont tell anyone : making money professionally for a living is not fun

      also striving to improve is not fun

      fun is when you log in because you want to play poker today , you dont do it daily, you do it when you please, and certainly is not a daily routine for you.

      yes, you're right, i dont like fun unless im going to a party or disney land and im paying for it, because (sshhhhhhh) you have to pay to have fun for real
    • CRI4BRA
      CRI4BRA
      Bronze
      Joined: 14.02.2008 Posts: 147
      Originally posted by JimC6
      Betting on horses is way way -EV, I have a few bets now and again but it's one of them things if you want to make money from it you need to put an awful lot of time into it and even then you can't be sure, I have seen horses that on paper have everything pointing to the win but then they come last.


      Also there are worse bad beats too, a few times I have seen horses 10+ lengths clear with less than a furlong and then they trip, the jockey falls off or some other crazy shit.


      I agree there is better places to put your money though, this season I have made 10 times more betting on F1 than I have at poker. That is because I really love F1, I watch everything to do with F1, I read everything there is on F1 and am a bit obsessed playing F1 on PS3.
      +1

      i like your style jim

      appreciate your reply post, thank you
    • CRI4BRA
      CRI4BRA
      Bronze
      Joined: 14.02.2008 Posts: 147
      games are tougher year after year

      there is a TREND started after Moneymaker Boom

      could anyone see a major event that could change the direction of the trend?

      Because riding over an upward trend is tough. If you dont clearly see the picture try drawing on a piece of paper the two lines LOL

      Carbon Poker is such a sad view. Is like catching a large number of sharks and their close relatives ( like barracudas) and throwing them in a water tank to eat whatever they can.
      When US players will be left out it will be different levels of fishiness between the regulars in the game. And then , like now you'll keep your eyes peeled :f_eek: for EV spots
    • CallumN
      CallumN
      Bronze
      Joined: 04.01.2012 Posts: 1,141
      Originally posted by CRI4BRA
      for example : play on a horse which has decent chances to win on the racetrack is so much better ( + ev ) than buying in on a 2012 poker table
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Joined: 17.01.2011 Posts: 6,860
      nl2 will always be there for us
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.09.2009 Posts: 21,926
      Originally posted by CallumN
      Originally posted by CRI4BRA
      for example : play on a horse which has decent chances to win on the racetrack is so much better ( + ev ) than buying in on a 2012 poker table
      + w-infinity!
    • NightFrostaSS
      NightFrostaSS
      Bronze
      Joined: 25.10.2008 Posts: 5,255
      I started in 2008 and thought there's only nits and very little fish, now it's the end of 2012 and I think there's still plenty of fish and I'd rather have nits at my tables than all solid regs. A matter of perspective.

      And 1% difference or 10% difference in rakeback always mattered, poker is all about taking small edges that add up in the long run, so why would you pass some of them up.
    • w34z3l
      w34z3l
      Coach
      Coach
      Joined: 03.08.2009 Posts: 13,297
      Originally posted by CRI4BRA

      the fact that so much people are so concerned about the rakeback they got now and what they had before is simply telling that they are not getting money for skill differential anymore, but from a quarter of rake which is max 5% of the pot

      This is a misconception.

      In order to make money after rake-back, you still need a skill edge over your opponents. If all players were of equal skill they would gradually lose their rolls to the rake even if they got some rake-back.

      Just because you are showing a negative win-rate does not automatically mean you are not better than your opponents. It just means your winrate vs them is smaller than the amount of rake you pay.

      In other words, if you can break even after rake, you are playing better poker than the average player on your limit.
    • vmarqui
      vmarqui
      Bronze
      Joined: 25.01.2010 Posts: 4,816
      no money in horses, everyone's solid
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Joined: 27.12.2010 Posts: 154
      Originally posted by CRI4BRA
      Originally posted by hackbinder
      Originally posted by CRI4BRA
      no thank you, and have fun at the tables
      i think the FUN is the biggest reason people play

      it IS a game

      playing games is fun

      playing challenging games can be more fun

      I guess you don't like fun

      ;)

      i will tell you a secret , but dont tell anyone : making money professionally for a living is not fun

      also striving to improve is not fun

      fun is when you log in because you want to play poker today , you dont do it daily, you do it when you please, and certainly is not a daily routine for you.

      yes, you're right, i dont like fun unless im going to a party or disney land and im paying for it, because (sshhhhhhh) you have to pay to have fun for real
      I think it depends on your definition of fun
    • 1
    • 2