ArtCascade

• ArtCascade
      ArtCascade
      Bronze
      wat r a pokur? ees dat 1 of dooze gais on feisbowk dat alweis poke mee?

While I may be better than a lolcat at poker, it is not by much. But I'll see what I can do about that. :P

I come from starcraft, and I am here partially because of pokerstrategy.com sponsoring some of the teamliquid.net toournaments (ty for that!).

I read up on the first articles here, did the quiz, and started playing on titanpoker in June, but didn't play enough to release more than the first $10 dollars, so I stopped, but I have taken it up again now a few weeks ago. I am reading (watching) up on the theory and posting hands while trying not to lose my $10 dollars. I am barely keeping my head above the water, possible more by luck than skill, but I feel that I am learning a lot as I go. I was almost for sure -EV when I started, and I may still be, but I am definitely doing a lot less stupid decisions that when I started, so I hope the curve will turn around. :)

The curve btw, is here:

If I bust on titan there seem to be some free $10 on PTR, and $7.70 on poker770, so not all hope rests with these 3 buy-ins.

I have posted hand both here and on liquidpoker (poker site related to the starcraft forum teamliquid.net), watched videos etc, but figured I should try this course thing as well.

Let me skip directly to the first homework!
      1) What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I like games. I want to solve them, and beat them. Poker seems like a nice challenge for me. :) I don't really expect to get any big income from this. Which doesn't mean that I don't care if I do well or not, I still really want to understand the game, but because of the intellectual challenge rather than the $$$.

2) What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Umm, what are my strengths? If any? For the second it seems like I am overplaying my hands, but I think it has changed during my 2.5k hands. At first I was playing VERY nitty, and when I posted hands (on liquidpoker.net) everyone told me to bet bet bet. Without knowing WHEN to bet, I started betting more in essentially random hands, which immediately took a few BIs from my BR. Now I am trying to tighten up again, but I still have no clue when to fold and when to bet. Probably I call too much though, and fold/bet too little, like most beginners.

Not sure how I react to bad beats, as I have been lucky so far. Haven't really lost any big all-ins that I was favoured in, but I hope I can handle that. Not sure my bank roll can though! :P

3) What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      To fold a large fraction of the hands early on, and play the strongest hands by betting. So in general keep the initiative, fold or bet often, call less.

Sorry for the wall of text, and thanks for all the work Veriz!
  • 3 replies
    • ArtCascade
      ArtCascade
      Bronze
      Can add my stats as well while at it...

edit: oops, broke the forum layout. spoiler seems to fix it though. :)
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello,

My name is Bogdan and I am the coach that will be taking over this section (from Veriz).

Before the end of the week I will be able to come in this thread and respond to you. Please stay tuned :)

Best regards.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by ArtCascade

Let me skip directly to the first homework!
      1) What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I like games. I want to solve them, and beat them. Poker seems like a nice challenge for me. :) I don't really expect to get any big income from this. Which doesn't mean that I don't care if I do well or not, I still really want to understand the game, but because of the intellectual challenge rather than the $$$.

2) What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Umm, what are my strengths? If any? For the second it seems like I am overplaying my hands, but I think it has changed during my 2.5k hands. At first I was playing VERY nitty, and when I posted hands (on liquidpoker.net) everyone told me to bet bet bet. Without knowing WHEN to bet, I started betting more in essentially random hands, which immediately took a few BIs from my BR. Now I am trying to tighten up again, but I still have no clue when to fold and when to bet. Probably I call too much though, and fold/bet too little, like most beginners.

Not sure how I react to bad beats, as I have been lucky so far. Haven't really lost any big all-ins that I was favoured in, but I hope I can handle that. Not sure my bank roll can though! :P

3) What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      To fold a large fraction of the hands early on, and play the strongest hands by betting. So in general keep the initiative, fold or bet often, call less.
      Hi ArtCascade,

Welcome to our course.

Let's take a look at your homework:

1) Sounds great. While poker, like Starcraft, is not a game that really can be solved the challenge to try and "solve" as much of it is always there. The rewards can be good as well.

2) Looks like you may be trying to learn from what people are telling you rather than from understanding why to do certain things (why bet/bet/bet).

You can work on this by posting hands on our forums, reading the articles and attending the private coaches (there's a great beginners coaching every Sunday - details can be found here: http://www.pokerstrategy.com/coaching/176691/)

3) Tight Aggressive in my book: someone that plays fewer hands preflop but when he does play a hand he is aggressive postflop.

Good luck with your journey and keep us posted.