[NL2-NL10] Flop play?

• maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Prima, $0.02/$0.04 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 5 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $6.27 (156.8 bb)
      BB: $5.29 (132.3 bb)
      MP: $4.61 (115.3 bb)
      Hero (CO): $4 (100 bb)
      BTN: $4.06 (101.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K J
      MP folds, Hero raises to $0.12, BTN folds, SB calls $0.10, BB calls $0.08

Flop: ($0.36) 9 Q K (3 players)
      SB bets $0.12, BB calls $0.12, Hero calls $0.12

Turn: ($0.72) A (3 players)
      SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets $0.44, 2 folds
  • 5 replies
    • PhoenixPhreak
      PhoenixPhreak
      Bronze
      I like the PF play. :)

What is your plan for the turn when you simply call the flop?
      I prefer to raise the flop for value and protection. If I get raised then I'm probably beat by two pair or a made straight. More likely though, if someone calls my raise I might check behind them on the turn for pot control, unless I hit my straight or or another King. I don't like how wet the board is.

Often I overvalue my hands and play aggressively. The plan to call, hope to improve, and take it away on the turn if checked to also seems like a valid line.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      I was torn between raising flop or calling. I finally thought, KJ perhaps wasn't good enough to protect and called with the plan to, take turn IP if they check or take it down if I hit, or give up if they still show aggression and I don't improve.

However now I'm thinking maybe calling wasn't best cause my draw wasn't too strong. J doesn't improve my hands, reverse implied odds and flush draws have more outs than my draw.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Hello maheepsangari,

What is the plan of the turn Bet? How many worse hands do you see paying you there? Do you expect them to have Ax hands in their range there?

Best Regards.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Turn bet was to get thin value from draws.

If Sb donked with a Kx then I had most of his hands beat unless he has KQ/AK which he plans to c/r turn with. If SB donked with FD then I could get thin value from him+protection.
    • veriz
      veriz
      Black
      Originally posted by maheepsangari
      Turn bet was to get thin value from draws.

If Sb donked with a Kx then I had most of his hands beat unless he has KQ/AK which he plans to c/r turn with. If SB donked with FD then I could get thin value from him+protection.
      Yes, seems to be reasonable thought. But you have to watch out in those spots, especially if we ain't against loose players cause we ain't gonna get called from a lot worse hands.