icm and bb winrate

• 2483wxm
      I have been playing 45 turbos on stars and had a winrate of 1.5 bb/100 hands just playing tight (had no idea of ICM).

Since using ICM this stat became negative.

I mean does playing for equity reduces bb winrate, from mathematical perspective?
  • 3 replies
    • kurrkabin
      Hi, 2483wxm!

Winrate on which blind level? Plus you should aim for EV ROI more rather than blinds per hands ratio imo. You can use the second to see if you are loosing or winning at a certain blind level(after a good sample), hence you can improve and find some leaks.

ICM is crucial when playing STTs. Don't forget and don't question it : ) Especially in FR sngs where most of it is ICM and less postflop. Also, STTs are $EV, not cEV. Except for the HU, when there is no ICM tax paid.

• pzhon
      If your goal is to win chips, your win rate in bb/100 will tend to be higher than if your goal is to gain ICM equity.

In practice, in typical SNG tournaments, while you aim for ICM equity you should also be winning chips in almost all phases of the game. There are particular situations in which you should be losing chips, such as when you have the second stack on the bubble and an aggressive big stack on your right is pushing every hand, but these should tend to be balanced by the times you get to be the bully. So, losing chips may be a sign of poor play.

Many players do not really understand the ICM. They use the ICM as an excuse for cowardly, unprofitable plays even when the ICM says they are actually not risk-averse (such as most of the time in a MTT SNG before the final table), or the gamble is good enough despite their risk aversion. This is one of the reasons I wrote ICM Explorer, to quantify risk aversion and to be able to apply it consistently.

I would be surprised if your sample size were really large enough to tell your win rate since your change of strategy.
    • AugustusCaesar
      Hey there :)

Just 1 question - What is your sample size ?

You need to multitable these like crazy (35-40 would be my recommendation) to get a decent sample ..