[NL20-NL50] FR50 AK 4bet pot

• circoflax
      circoflax
      Bronze
      Full Tilt, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP1: $57.35 (114.7 bb)
      MP2: $58.45 (116.9 bb)
      MP3: $79.85 (159.7 bb)
      CO: $63.20 (126.4 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $59.50 (119 bb)
      SB: $50 (100 bb)
      BB: $50 (100 bb)
      UTG+2: $53.35 (106.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with K A
      4 folds, CO raises to $1.50, Hero raises to $4.50, 2 folds, CO raises to $9, Hero calls $4.50

Flop: ($18.75) K 9 Q (2 players)
      CO bets $10, Hero calls $10

Turn: ($38.75) 3 (2 players)
      CO bets $25, Hero folds

Villain is unknown, something like 20/15 over the first 10 hands or so. I was 3betting a lot at that table.
      Maybe put in a 5bet pre? Shoving I think doesn't accomplish much right there. Or just fold it? I always have trouble making decisions like this with AK against unknowns.
  • 4 replies
    • Saren113
      Saren113
      Bronze
      Why call the flop, to fold the turn? that's just burning money tbh. Well the thing is if you 5b you put alot of pressure on villian, but you can never ever 5b fold obv ^^.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Circoflax,

How long have you been at NL50 for? I think that once we get to NL50 we should have some form of game plan that we want to stick too. If we are going for the aggressive game plan of "3betting alot" then its likely we are going to start getting 4bet bluffed.

This means that as a standard adjustment we need to 5bet all in vs these 4bets otherwise they can just continue to make very easy 4bets vs us and show a great profit. Because we want to have some good hands and not only shove as a bluff, AK is actually a great hand as we don't always flop a pair but when we get it all in and we are called we are not even in very bad shape.

As played on the flop, std call. On the turn I think its very close but your fold looks ok, it really looks like we have a good hand such as AQ/KQ/KJ/AK and I don't think he would expect us to fold these hands when we've shown the strength on the flop.

This is another way to exploit aggressive players if the flop was qj3 and we have AK we can maybe call and represent a strong hand :)
    • circoflax
      circoflax
      Bronze
      When it goes to the preflop war (BTNvsCO and BTNvsBlinds especially) I always look at villain's 4bet, good regs have the vsHero stat double to their normal range, so I start to shove a lot when I have that info. JJ+, AK for value. I also sometimes shove low PP and Axs as bluffs. Not very sure what to do with TT-AQ, it depends on the dynamic. I do it a lot in SH, less in FR where people are tighter.

The problem with this guy is that he is unknown, he min 4bets, and we are 120BB deep, so shoving AK into 20BB 4bet I think only gets called by better. Unless he's a super spazzy fish but since he recognized I was abusing the button I don't think he was one.

And yeah, I've been playing NL50 and NL100 for a while now, more than 500k hands at NL50, but I still make a lot of mistakes.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Cool, how are you finding the differences between NL50 and NL100?

Ok so again, talking about adjusting, vs normal players and stack sizes we would shove AK. Cool, now we are deeper and have a small 4bet, we should probably have a 5b/fold range and a 5b/call range OR we ONLY have a CALL or FOLD range.

This means that if we are going to re-raise AA/KK then we need to sometimes 5b bluff. What hands to do it with? Probably hands that have blockers to good hands such as AJ/KJ and KQ.

If we are going to have a 5bet for value range then we should most likely include AK in the range.

Whilst I understand FR is tighter, once we get to CO V BTN I really think the war and battle starts no matter if its 6max or full ring. If it hasn't started then you probably aren't 3betting enough ;)

BTW, in the future remember to press the button for me to evaluate again incase I miss your post :)