[NL20-NL50] FR88 bottom set

• circoflax
      Full Tilt, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 8 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BB: $53.05 (106.1 bb)
      UTG+2: $90.95 (181.9 bb)
      MP1: $90.65 (181.3 bb)
      MP2: $50 (100 bb)
      Hero (MP3): $50 (100 bb)
      CO: $62.30 (124.6 bb)
      BTN: $50 (100 bb)
      SB: $81.35 (162.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 8 8
      UTG+2 raises to $1.50, MP1 calls $1.50, MP2 calls $1.50, Hero raises to $7, 2 folds, SB calls $6.75, BB folds, UTG+2 calls $5.50, 2 folds

Flop: ($24.50) T 8 Q (3 players)
      SB bets $15.65, UTG+2 folds, Hero calls $15.65

Turn: ($55.80) 2 (2 players)
      SB bets $35.70, Hero ?

I was 3betting 88 against UTG because he was a super fishy guy 60/30 over 200 hands or so, always calling the 3bets. I mean he showed stuff like A2s, Q7s etc, opening EP and calling big 3bets OOP.

SB is aggro reg, 21/19/12. Donk flop 10%. Just give him QQ and fold?
  • 2 replies
    • pleno1
      Hi Circoflax,

I think pre flop is really interesting. You have identified him to be a fishy player who is likely to not fold and continue with a worse range (worse pocket pairs, some bad Ax hands etc) however what we have to consider is that when he calls, its likely the rest of the guys come along in the pot too. This means that to continue in the hand we basically need to flop a set.

Even on boards such as

Etc, we will be playing against 4 people who 1) Won't continue with worse hands because we look incredibly strong and 2) We can't afford to bet the flop and then fold meaning we very often bet/call vs 4 players multiway with a very vulnerable hand.

Post flop, we describe the guy as an "aggro donk" if he had QQ pre flop I think he would just go ahead and 4bet pre flop and go with the hand. He only needs to have some Qx hands for us to go with the hand. Also if he IS flatting QQ then he will flat KK/AA too presumably?

Here is a quick equilab example:

Equity Win Tie
      MP2 75.25% 75.25% 0.00% 88
      MP3 24.75% 24.75% 0.00% QQ+, TT, AQs, KQs, QJs

You see we have a great hand edge here.

Also, what do you think about raising flop? If we think he has a strong range including top pair and better then we have great equity and can just go with the hand right now. If a card such as a j or a 9 comes then it could really slow the action down and he may even check fold certain hands?

Looking forward to your thoughts on the hand.

• circoflax
      Wasn't very worried about the other 2 guys calling my 3bet, I was doing it to isolate the fish. They were ok regs and I guess they had some mediocre hands hoping to play a cheap pot with the fish IP. Once I make a 3b that doesn't give them odds to setmine, I don't think any of them is ever calling. May cold 4bet and in that case I just fold. I the 2 guys had some AK-AQ-KQ hand, I think they would have 3bet themselves against that guy.

On the other hand, from my experience at NL50 FR (I wrote in a different post, I played something like 500k hands), people who cold call a 3bet almost always have QQ or AK and they don't know what to do, so they call. I have seen some weaker players doing it with JJ-TT. Now if the SB is aware of the fact that I'm trying to isolate the fish with a strong range but not necessarilly premium, I think he could widen his range to TT+, AQ+.
      I don't think he would do it though with AA-KK, he could try to trap me because of my wide range, but I don't think he would like to play a hand like that OOP 3way.

I just couldn't believe it I was being slapped like that and I hit my set which was far more than I was hoping for.

And I'm not raising flop because he's insta-mucking all worse hands if I do.