Philosophical question:Short stack and 3-bet pots

• Kombaiyashii
      Kombaiyashii
      Bronze
      Hi folks,

I've got a philosophical question here regarding short stack play and how it relates to 3-bet pots (in large stack games)...

If I had a 40bb effective stack and I raise to 3x which is then called. The pot will equal (depending on who actually calls) approximately 7.5bb which is about 20% of my total stack.

Now if I had a full effective 100bb stack and 3-bet a guy to 9bb (who raised x3 and then calls) the pot would be 19.5 which again is approximately 20% of the rest of the effective stack.

I've asked this on several theory forums and they tend to agree that mathematically, these pots should play exactly the same (as long as the opponents are on similar ranges) if they were to be played optimally.

So if I develop my 3-bet game to be extremely good, I would have a similar strategy that a pro-shorty would adopt once our stack to pot ratio's are the same.

I really want to become very good at 3-betting. The problem is with most forums, I don't think that they really know good 3-bet post flop play. They mostly want to play easy hands and take the lower variance/low return option. So I was thinking of learning short stack play to improve my 3-bet game in large stacks.

Do you think this is a good idea?
  • 1 reply
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Kombaiyashii
      I've asked this on several theory forums and they tend to agree that mathematically, these pots should play exactly the same (as long as the opponents are on similar ranges) if they were to be played optimally.
      problem is the bolded part, that will NEVER happen