Building a bankroll : sit&go or cash games?

• 23 replies
    • chenny8888
      chenny8888
      Bronze
      Hi bounce73, at the lower limits, i would say the winrate is about the same for both. However I'd say for beginners, sitngos are more difficult to play and also slightly more fun than micro limit fullring cash.
    • zayd88
      zayd88
      Bronze
      I prefer sitngos because they are a lot more fun which makes multitabling them very easy.
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zayd88
      I prefer sitngos because they are a lot more fun which makes multitabling them very easy.
      I completely disagree with this statement. Multitabling SNGs is a lot harder than multitabling cash games.

Tournaments have blind increases and you cant sit back and wait for good hands all the time. Sooner or later you will have to start thinking about stealing and defending. It requires more attention and therefore its harder to multitable.

At the moment i play 4 tables when i play cash games (BSS), could try more but my monitor is kinda small :) . When i play SNG i play 2 tables at most, have tried up to 4 but i loose details and my play suffers a lot.
    • finchybg
      finchybg
      Bronze
      1$ and 2$ sng's have huge rake..
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      FL FTW \o/ :)
    • AlLaf
      AlLaf
      Bronze
      Cash games all the way!!!! No questions asked. I agree; SnG'sand donkaments are way tougher to multitable, and a cold streak can leave you winless for a long time... Harsh. µNL IS easy enough that you can multitable 4 to 8 very easily, thus cutting down variance a lot. And yes, huge rake for micro-limits sngs...

This might stir some things up, but I do believe cash game is the real deal :P .
    • bounce73
      bounce73
      Bronze
      thanks so much for your feed back so far i also would like to clarify something, i 've been playing poker for a little while now, manly sit&goes with some good results on PartyPoker and mix results on PokerStars(here i play manly mtts)occasionally i play some cash games ,but very rarely.
      I also understand the difference beetween the two games and how to approach them.
      Lately i've been playing at Titans at lower stakes than PP or PS just because i wanted to became a member of poker strategy (which i think is a fantastic site by the way with a great family feeling ,some good posts and some fantastic articles and videos which are also free....great .....unlikely another big site of which i am also a member ..P5s...where people just love to abuse each other a lot).
      So i came across some good posts, articles and video about nl cash game that made me think about becaming more serious about them.
      i would like to play nl $25 and progress to nl $50 with appropriate BR.
      So comparing to sit and goes can ROI be more profitable? also Variance? Swings? just any information that can help me understand more what to expect.
      Thanks so much again and i hope you can help me
    • phpps
      phpps
      Bronze
      I prefer cash tables personally, although i do play the odd sit n go but since i dont play enough of them i find it hard to judge the ROI. Does Elephant keep track of the ROI? As well i dont like the time commitment with SnGs since i have a very short attention span so if i feel i am losing focus in a cash game i just leave where as in a SnG you are committed to finishing the game.

As well I just got to the point in my BR where i can start playing the 5.50 SnGs rather that the 1 and 2 $ ones which i think is way more of a draw then actual skill involved.

And agreed on the multitabling with SnGs it is too hard to keep track of which stage you are at in the SnG (push or fold) and since you need to be more progressively aggressive on SnGs too many tables makes that hard to keep track of.
    • CoreySteel
      CoreySteel
      Bronze
      Originally posted by phpps
      Does Elephant keep track of the ROI?
      No. Elephant doesn't support SNGs. (yet)
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      Cash is for cash, SNG is for fun.
    • arjun2001
      arjun2001
      Bronze
      Wherever you make money.

I say Sit and Go's because you can win 4x your buy-in or much more for 3-5 table SNG's, they are fun and also at lower limits people get out really soon and you can make money by just folding and not risking too much.

You don't risk your whole stack either. For example you spend $1.20 to win$4.50, in cash games you have $5 to win $5.

In the end its all about what you win at.....
    • bounce73
      bounce73
      Bronze
      Thanks so much for all yours feedbacks guys i'll give a shot at nl 10 this weekend so wish me luck . Also i was very pleased to see a brief comment by Sonic xt since it was his blog that made me think about playing cash games
      See you all at the poker tables and hopefully i won't be too much of a donk
    • SonicXT
      SonicXT
      Bronze
      It's just a personal opinion though. Helemaalnicks would probably have said the reverse.

Personally, I just feel you can study the game at your own pace in cash games and you have the full array of poker at your disposal. You might play shortstacked, fullstacked and at some points (ultra)deepstacked, your opponents don't change their game and neither should you during the course of the game. That makes it easier to make some playerdependant moves and go into the psychological factor of the game. That is, of course, at the higher limits. In the beginning it's just a pure 'play your own cards' game due to the number of calling stations.

SNG's are less deepstacked and revolve more on luck and preflop allins and coinflips and on the longer run there is a skill difference of course, but I just don't like it too much as there's less psychological postflop play to be done. The push or fold is just not for me :)

And thanks, I guess it's a nice compliment that my blog might have persuaded you :)
    • bounce73
      bounce73
      Bronze
      Thanks again for you imput Sonic and i understand the two different dinamics of s&g and cash games at a low limit at least, since i've been studying both for a while now.
      I also agree with the fact that in s&gs there is a lot of luck involved especially with the push fold stage and mentally i can take it but when it comes to building my bankroll the swings can be frustrating.
      This why i decided, especially after reading your blog ,to approach my BR building with cash games which i think could offer a more stable option with less luck involved.
      Thanks again Sonic and your comments really mean a lot to me.
      Goodl luck at the tables (ovviously not against me :D ....lol )
    • darkonebg
      darkonebg
      Headadmin
      Headadmin
      Wellcome to the army of cashgamers :D
      Even at the higher limits, you will often be going fishing, something that increases your winrate a lot, and is impossible in SnG's.
    • cannell555
      cannell555
      Bronze
      Whats impossible in SnG's? SnG's aren't as much about luck as you guys are making out tbh. Its about making the right moves at the right times, against the right players. Its a far more advanced game, and if you can adapt to the many situations, you can make a killing. Theres alot of $$$ to be made from SnG's, and imo you can build a BR far faster with them.
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      yeh i prefer sng's too, I dunno about you guys but I'd probably find it hard making 4 buyins in an hour playing cash games, which you can do pretty easily playing sng's. Plus your risking less at a time than with cash games, like say u got "bad beat" n lost 3 buyins in a round, I think that could tilt anyone whos not that experienced in it, but if you were playing sng's the badbeats seem to be more spread out :D
    • Grimzor
      Grimzor
      Bronze
      Originally posted by p0kerQT
      I dunno about you guys but I'd probably find it hard making 4 buyins in an hour playing cash games, which you can do pretty easily playing sng's. Plus your risking less at a time than with cash games, like say u got "bad beat" n lost 3 buyins in a round, I think that could tilt anyone whos not that experienced in it, but if you were playing sng's the badbeats seem to be more spread out :D
      Measuring and comparing profits in buy-ins between cash games and sng is wrong. You say i wont make 4 buyins an hour playing cash game. True, but one my buy-in is like 5 your buy-ins. $$$ is what matters.

You say you put less at risk. ok, but lets look at it from other perspective. I get bad cards - i just fold, fold, fold and lose only blinds which are small, i dont put my money in and risk almost nothing. You have paid your buyin in sng already, you cant sit out all the time so you have to play and its higher chance you will be all in in marginal situation.

Or lets see situation where you got dealt very good hands all the time. Imagine you could double up all the time. On cash game you double up, double up, double up and have lots of money. In sng you double up, double up, have like 10x more chips, dominate the table, just kick opponents in the ballz and in the end ... win only those 4buyins.

I am not saying one is better than the other. Just want to say it is nearly impossible to compare which is better.
    • p0kerQT
      p0kerQT
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Grimzor
      Measuring and comparing profits in buy-ins between cash games and sng is wrong. You say i wont make 4 buyins an hour playing cash game. True, but one my buy-in is like 5 your buy-ins. $$$ is what matters.
      ok so you could put 15 of "my buyins" at risk in 5 mins, as oppose to 1 of my buyins over an hour, and you can just fold fold fold ur bad cards but you're still losing money in the blinds, n paying rake on every hand you play.

And if I double up 10x then I win the sng, which is the point, I know you can't win more than the actual prize :\ But its pretty unlikely that a whole table at a cash game is gonna ship u all their money is it?

Im not saying sng IS better than cash, its just what I'm used to n prefer playing.