[NL20-NL50] [SH]NL25 TT 4b pot

• dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Gold
      BU 31/23/3.7/9.7/154hands

3b from BU 23.8%
      FTcbet 22%/raise cbet 44%

Really confused in this spot, not too happy about 4betting but this guy seems kind of spewy so I thought he is 5b shoving a lot.

I don't really like my flop line either, but I thought he is stabbing wide if I check since I'm usually c/folding so I turned it into bluff.

What's your 4b/broke range pre vs this guy?
      & do you prefer b/c or b/f over c/shove?

SB: $7.62 (30.5 bb)
      BB: $15 (60 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $25.90 (103.6 bb)
      MP: $19 (76 bb)
      CO: $114.74 (459 bb)
      BTN: $45.59 (182.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T T
      Hero raises to $0.75, 2 folds, BTN raises to $2.25, 2 folds, Hero raises to $5.60, BTN calls $3.35

Flop: ($11.55) J 4 6 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $6.50, Hero raises to $20.30 and is all-in, BTN folds

Results:
      $24.55 pot ($1.22 rake)
      Final Board: J 4 6
      Hero mucked T T and won $23.33 ($11.23 net)
      BTN mucked and lost (-$12.10 net)
  • 3 replies
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey Danny,

Just becuase somebody seems spewy doesn't mean we should overadjust.

If somebody 5bet jams 87s btn v sb then it doesn't mean we should automatically get in 10s from UTG.

He will realise the strength you show here even if he knows his own image.

I would prefer to exploit something that you know is solid, i.e you know he 5bet jams 78s, so start 4b/callign 88/99 from the button vs him.

Also its his btn vs utg stat that is important here.

Makes sense?

As played, with your read, I think the c/jam is pretty nice to get a bit of value from his random spew range.
    • dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Gold
      Hey thanks! Yeh makes a lot of sense.
      What's your 4b broke range pre here? It was kind of difficult for me being UTG vs BU.

Are you 4betting QQ+AK with a few suited bockers as bluffs? Or is it ok to be a bit more depolarised?
      Maybe add JJ & AQs?

Now that I know he calls 4 bets IP I think I can 4b a slightly wider value range, correct?
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Originally posted by dannywratten
      Hey thanks! Yeh makes a lot of sense.
      What's your 4b broke range pre here? It was kind of difficult for me being UTG vs BU.

Are you 4betting QQ+AK with a few suited bockers as bluffs? Or is it ok to be a bit more depolarised?
      Maybe add JJ & AQs?

Now that I know he calls 4 bets IP I think I can 4b a slightly wider value range, correct?
      I think QQ+, AK should be your standard to 4bet/broke from UTG then for bluffs it depends what suited hands you open that you cannot call a 3bet even OOP. For example, KQs is probably OK to call once you see him 3bet very very wide and will probably dominate a reasonable amount of his broadways. Stuff like AJo, ATs, QJ, KJs is probably what you can turn into a bluff and 4bet/fold.

There's another nice benefit that just exists given your UTG range. Once your bluff 4bet gets called, you probably are still ahead of his range with almost any bluff unless he 3bet/flats premiums and basically never jams. I don't think he does it because it would be too much next level thinking imo.

Regarding your polarized/depolarized question, I think this answers it pretty well: your UTG range makes your 4bet bluffs quite strong so although you think of it as polarized (you always fold to a 5bet with a part of them), vs his range you are probably still reasonably ahead. A UTG 4bet from a solid player is just naturally strong which is why a lot of good players don't have a 3betting range vs another very solid UTG opponent.