[NL2-NL10] NL5 Zoom AKs Sqz vs BTN & Sb

• cheekopeh
      cheekopeh
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $6.19 (123.8 bb)
      SB: $6.63 (132.6 bb)
      Hero (BB): $7.31 (146.2 bb)
      UTG: $12.98 (259.6 bb)
      MP: $5.30 (106 bb)
      CO: $2.62 (52.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A K
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.15, SB calls $0.13, Hero raises to $0.70, BTN calls $0.55, SB calls $0.55

Flop: ($2.10) 6 9 5 (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, BTN bets $1.35, 2 folds

Results:
      $2.10 pot ($0.09 rake)
      Final Board: 6 9 5
      BTN mucked and won $2.01 ($1.31 net)
      SB mucked and lost (-$0.70 net)
      Hero mucked A K and lost (-$0.70 net)

BTN is unknown, Sb is 18/8 over 117 hands.

PF: I try not to overplay AK especially OOP since it's pretty easy for me to spew with it. However, I think I can assume BTN's open-raising range is wide, and Sb is usually weak as well w his flat. Thus squeezing would be a very profitable play in the long run.

My question is, how do I decide if calling or 3-betting in this hand is the best line to take? In my case, I would just flat if open-raiser was UTG. Are there any other factors to take into account?
  • 3 replies
    • CPallo
      CPallo
      Bronze
      Hellow,

I can never see myself flatting this hand, especially when we are OOP. Usually squeeze makes good result here and you will win in the long run, especially when you usually take the pot with cbet on a HU pot.

Now you just had 2 opponents against you, so not much to do. I had played the same way, there's too many hands in their flat range that beat us now.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Stack sizes, opponents, table dynamics/table image are all very important aspects of your preflop line.

Preflop the most important question to ask if you would go with your hand versus a 4bet or not. If your answer is not then we just turned a really nice hand into a bluff so I'd prefer calling (unless I still feel that the dead money I collect preflop is more than what i can make by calling).

Our squeeze size is also too big, especially if we are bluffing. 4x would be more than enough.

As played we should check/fold that flop in-between two players that we don't have much info on.
    • cheekopeh
      cheekopeh
      Bronze
      CPallo- Thanks for the feedback, I agree with you. But Coach has another line of thought so I'll ask and see what he says again (:

BogdanPS- Hi Coach, I don't know if I'm right to say this so please correct me. I 3bet my hand for value because I think that BU opening range and Sb's calling range are both very wide. I also feel AKs is also ahead of their 3bet calling range. I can show immediate profit if they fold pre and even if called post, my range will still be ahead of theirs.

I will not go with my hand vs 4bet because it is very likely they have KKs or AAs. Does that actually mean I'm turning my hand into a bluff if I 3b for value/Fold to 4-bet??

P.S : My sqz size is value raise, so I did 4x + 1 caller approximately = $(0.15 x 4) + 0.15 = $0.75~