[NL2-NL10] NL4SH JJ - vs small donkbet on flop

• muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      Villain is unknown

Flop: When he donks pretty small I don't think he is very strong. I think I can either raise fold (basically bet/fold if I treat his small donkbet as a check) I decided to treat his small donk bet as a check and "bet/fold" for protection an value vs weaker pairs and draws. I would expect his DB/call range to consist of draws, weaker pairs and some KX. I think this is the same situation as if villain checks to me I would play bet/fold here as a standard for the same reasons.

Turn: I am not sure why I decided to just call the Turn here. I am not sure really what to do here in general. I think I need to review my play vs donkbets on flop and turn.

My options are:
      1. raise/fold = continue with my value/protection line and assume I am not being bluffed if raised. The plan would be to x/beh R un-improved and take a free / cheap showdown wherever possible .
      2. call and re-evaluate river: and try to reach showdown as cheaply as possibly. My hand has showdown value but I don't want to risk turning it into a bluff
      3. fold: I think this would be way too weak. I think villain can have some draws and worse pairs very often here given his preflop and flop actions.

Given that he is showing strength I think calling and re-evaluate R and get to showdown would be the best line here in hindsight.

River: I didn't think I could extract much further value on the R here, so just x/beh with my showdown value.

Cheers

PartyGaming - $0.04 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (CO): $4.87
      BTN: $1.10
      SB: $2.09
      BB: $0.70
      UTG: $1.70
      MP: $3.86

SB posts SB $0.02, BB posts BB $0.04

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.06) Hero has J:diamond: J:spade:

fold, MP calls $0.04, Hero raises to $0.16, fold, fold, fold, MP calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.38, 2 players) 9:spade: 6:club: K:club:
      MP bets $0.08, Hero raises to $0.30, MP calls $0.22

Turn: ($0.98, 2 players) 6:spade:
      MP bets $0.16, Hero calls $0.16

River: ($1.30, 2 players) K:spade:
      MP checks, Hero checks

MP shows 9:diamond: 8:diamond: (Two Pair, Kings and Nines) (Pre 19%, Flop 22%, Turn 5%)
      Hero shows J:diamond: J:spade: (Two Pair, Kings and Jacks) (Pre 81%, Flop 78%, Turn 95%)
      Hero wins $1.24
  • 2 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Flop is fine, I'd also raise and bet sizing is good.

On the turn when he donks small again fish usually have a 9x, TT, JJ, QQ, draws that they want to see a cheap river with ( some rare 6x/Kx are also present).

Because of this I'd also raise the turn again for value/protection. I'd raise fold to about 0.7 or so (doesn't have to be overly big so he still calls with 1p hands).

On the river he checks to us and I think we can bet fold, considering that we checked the turn. Tx, 9x type hands can still call a 1/2 bet and maybe even A high.
    • muel294
      muel294
      Bronze
      thanks Bogdan

if we had raised the Turn and got called I assume we are just x/beh for free showdown?