doulgan

• doulgan
      doulgan
      Bronze
      Hi. I started playing poker about 2 years ago, earned something like $100 with my first bankroll, but had to withdraw it to pay a part of my studies, and than I just went onto some other things in life. Now, I have a job working the 3rd shift, and since it is not that demanding I have the time and the place to start playing poker again, and I cannot start anything without a theoretical background, so here I am.
  • 3 replies
    • doulgan
      doulgan
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I got married half a year ago, and now I am a proud father of a little baby girl. Working the third shift leaves me with a couple of hours a day where I can do something productive, and not just watch tv and buzz on the net. Needing a couple extra dollars a month, and a brain stimulant, I decided to play poker again. Why I started playing poker in the first place is a whole different thing tho (no kidding, no wife and kids then :D ). I am a really good chess player, or I was when I was training it, and this was a pretty good substitute for it, than could earn me a few bucks on the side so I gave it a try. I love the challenges and the competition.

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Mostly playing only my hands, and sometimes not having enough concentration. Also, when I get into a bad situation, for example they see me raising pre flop and folding on the flop, somebody starts exploiting me and I don't know how to get back to my regular play against a player that started dominating me, I am better when I am the aggressor (same story in chess :D ). Also, I need a lot of work on afterflop play including the amounts of bets, when to put more when less money in, and I rarely try to put my opponents on a specific hand, but at 1 2 cents NL, its not always easy to do that, so at some point I gave up :D . Also because I had an initial success with poker, I never got the habit to analyze my hands, instead I focused more on the playing part.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Choosing your hands preflop, playing in position, mostly raising or folding, rarely calling (u need a better hand to call than to raise rule), playing more aggressive when rest of the table is passive and vice versa, putting big money on big hands, controlling pots with small hands.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello,

My name is Bogdan and I am the coach that will be taking over this section (from Veriz).

Before the end of the week I will be able to come in this thread and respond to you. Please stay tuned :)

Best regards.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by doulgan
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker?
      I got married half a year ago, and now I am a proud father of a little baby girl. Working the third shift leaves me with a couple of hours a day where I can do something productive, and not just watch tv and buzz on the net. Needing a couple extra dollars a month, and a brain stimulant, I decided to play poker again. Why I started playing poker in the first place is a whole different thing tho (no kidding, no wife and kids then :D ). I am a really good chess player, or I was when I was training it, and this was a pretty good substitute for it, than could earn me a few bucks on the side so I gave it a try. I love the challenges and the competition.
      Hi Doulgan,

First off, congratulations :)

I too was a big chess fan back in the day (highscool/university) and I always found poker to be similar in many ways (although in chess we have all the information on the table).

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker?
      Mostly playing only my hands, and sometimes not having enough concentration. Also, when I get into a bad situation, for example they see me raising pre flop and folding on the flop, somebody starts exploiting me and I don't know how to get back to my regular play against a player that started dominating me, I am better when I am the aggressor (same story in chess :D ). Also, I need a lot of work on afterflop play including the amounts of bets, when to put more when less money in, and I rarely try to put my opponents on a specific hand, but at 1 2 cents NL, its not always easy to do that, so at some point I gave up :D . Also because I had an initial success with poker, I never got the habit to analyze my hands, instead I focused more on the playing part.
      I would recommend that you start posting hands on our hand evaluation forums. I would also recommend that you attend the No-Limit Special [Beginner] coaching that I hold every Sunday (http://www.pokerstrategy.com/coaching/176692/).

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive?
      Choosing your hands preflop, playing in position, mostly raising or folding, rarely calling (u need a better hand to call than to raise rule), playing more aggressive when rest of the table is passive and vice versa, putting big money on big hands, controlling pots with small hands.
      TAG = tight preflop, aggressive postflop (play fewer hands but when you play them you play them aggressively)

Good luck with the next step and don't forget to keep us posted.