vuciitis

• vuciitis
      vuciitis
      Bronze
      HEY HEY!

Im too lazy to learn some poker theory by my own so i see some potentional here for me in taking this class. Hopefully this will push me little more to watch videos and read some more this great stuff u guys are offering here. Will do my best in homeworks and will try not to cheat to get maximum knowledge value for my invested time :)
  • 13 replies
    • vuciitis
      vuciitis
      Bronze
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

Well, i started to play poker like two and a half or even three years ago. At first it was just for fun, i was depositing and skinking money all the time and i was having fun doing that. Then i found PS.com and got my 50$ BR, started to play more cautious and started to learn some theory. I kinda liked the fact i was starting to get some sense of the game what just made me like it even more. Now i have been playing for a while and i finally feel like a winning player and trying to make some decent BR for climbing up the stakes and hopefully get some semi pro status in poker so i can work just part time and keep becoming better in the game. After i achieve that, who knows. Hard work must be applied here before i will get that far... :)

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

Well every poker player who have playd a decent amount of hands could write here an essay for cople pages at least, but i will try to summerize it just to touch the headlines.

First of all, as i have a full time job, poker becomes in second place which means most of the sessions are played after work when i am tired or even excaused. So i cant bring my maximum focus at the tables and that often leads to situations were i push my self in a spots were i dont know what to do and i make a mistake which costs me hardly grinded proffit of the session. Sometimes i commit too much to the pot were i shouldnt just because i feel i got some read on my oponent. I think i do this because i feel like i dont have enough time to play as much as i would like and i try to force some advanced spots were actually is none, were i should play really simple. Basicly the ammount of hands i can or am able to play per session after my day job often are not enough to get some valuable spots naturally so i feel like i need to force them what ofc is wrong. Working on this one, to keep my mindset clean through all the session.

Second thing i have noticed is i commit my self too much to spots were i shouldnt in micro stakes. I very often make good reads and play as i should knowing what my oponents have, but micro stakes players make too loose calls to bluff, so i lost tons of my profit here... And i mean like every session. I know at least half of my plays would work against good players which draws accordingly to ods or goes to showdown with top pairs with at least decent kickers. Basicly its just hard for me to give up the spot, where i know i could be proffitable in a long term vs thinking players. So, im trying to adjust my game and use almost no bluffs as i feel i am loosing most of my profit here.

Another thing i find my self struggling, often i make mistakes putting my opponents on a certain range, because they tend to call 3bets / 4bets with no logic and too loose which makes postflop dificult for me, were i often make mistakes. So i feel like this course would be pretty good for me to learn playing basics and stick with them. At least as long as i move up through micro stakes.

To continue i know i play too lose vs players i have no reads. I like to call multi way limp pots with almost any suited connectors from any position. In theory, if the pot odds and even implied odds are good as they most likely will pay off if i hit my hand on flop, i should put my money in before the flop. But in too many situations i find my self confused what to do, most likely with a decision to commit tons of money or not when i dont flop nuts. Lets say on hand like 98s in the middle position with 2 limps before me and a call on the button on 9 4 2 , 6 rainbow board where i have bet the flop, got 1 caller (BU), bet the turn and faced huge raise... I dont wana fold, but i dont wana commit like half stack on turn and face a decision for all my chips on the river with most likely an overcard on board and all in bet from my oponent... So im trying to avoid spots like these were i dont feel comfortable. I better lose some value atm than lose some proffit.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

Well, basicly i understand it as playing preflop small range of hands and try to put as much money as possible, to make pot big fast, to force all none premium hands out which lets us to put oponents on ranges more easy and gives our hand some extra fold equity even if we are behind on flop as they know our tight image and they know they will probably have to commit all stack to see the showdown which they dont want to do without TOP TOP or better as they know in most cases we will be ahead of their ranges.

And i have a question - may i do all my homeworks when i have a time or i can just move to next one when the previous have been accepted from a teacher? :)
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hello,

My name is Bogdan and I am the coach that will be taking over this section (from Veriz).

Before the end of the week I will be able to come in this thread and respond to you. Please stay tuned :)

Best regards.
    • vuciitis
      vuciitis
      Bronze
      i have heard that veriz is gone for some reason, so already figured out that this could take a while as things clears out for u guys...

any way, nice to see im not forgotten here :)
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by vuciitis
      Question 1: What is your motivation for playing poker? (Be as vague or specific as you want with this one, but try to think of all the reasons and elaborate on them.)

Well, i started to play poker like two and a half or even three years ago. At first it was just for fun, i was depositing and skinking money all the time and i was having fun doing that. Then i found PS.com and got my 50$ BR, started to play more cautious and started to learn some theory. I kinda liked the fact i was starting to get some sense of the game what just made me like it even more. Now i have been playing for a while and i finally feel like a winning player and trying to make some decent BR for climbing up the stakes and hopefully get some semi pro status in poker so i can work just part time and keep becoming better in the game. After i achieve that, who knows. Hard work must be applied here before i will get that far... :)
      Hi Vuciitis,

Welcome to the course !

Question 2: What are your weaknesses when playing poker? (What are the mistakes you know you are making during your games? Are you playing while you're tired? Are you tilting easily? Want to see the showdown too much? Write down as many as you think are affecting you.)

Well every poker player who have playd a decent amount of hands could write here an essay for cople pages at least, but i will try to summerize it just to touch the headlines.

First of all, as i have a full time job, poker becomes in second place which means most of the sessions are played after work when i am tired or even excaused. So i cant bring my maximum focus at the tables and that often leads to situations were i push my self in a spots were i dont know what to do and i make a mistake which costs me hardly grinded proffit of the session. Sometimes i commit too much to the pot were i shouldnt just because i feel i got some read on my oponent. I think i do this because i feel like i dont have enough time to play as much as i would like and i try to force some advanced spots were actually is none, were i should play really simple. Basicly the ammount of hands i can or am able to play per session after my day job often are not enough to get some valuable spots naturally so i feel like i need to force them what ofc is wrong. Working on this one, to keep my mindset clean through all the session.

Second thing i have noticed is i commit my self too much to spots were i shouldnt in micro stakes. I very often make good reads and play as i should knowing what my oponents have, but micro stakes players make too loose calls to bluff, so i lost tons of my profit here... And i mean like every session. I know at least half of my plays would work against good players which draws accordingly to ods or goes to showdown with top pairs with at least decent kickers. Basicly its just hard for me to give up the spot, where i know i could be proffitable in a long term vs thinking players. So, im trying to adjust my game and use almost no bluffs as i feel i am loosing most of my profit here.

Another thing i find my self struggling, often i make mistakes putting my opponents on a certain range, because they tend to call 3bets / 4bets with no logic and too loose which makes postflop dificult for me, were i often make mistakes. So i feel like this course would be pretty good for me to learn playing basics and stick with them. At least as long as i move up through micro stakes.

To continue i know i play too lose vs players i have no reads. I like to call multi way limp pots with almost any suited connectors from any position. In theory, if the pot odds and even implied odds are good as they most likely will pay off if i hit my hand on flop, i should put my money in before the flop. But in too many situations i find my self confused what to do, most likely with a decision to commit tons of money or not when i dont flop nuts. Lets say on hand like 98s in the middle position with 2 limps before me and a call on the button on 9 4 2 , 6 rainbow board where i have bet the flop, got 1 caller (BU), bet the turn and faced huge raise... I dont wana fold, but i dont wana commit like half stack on turn and face a decision for all my chips on the river with most likely an overcard on board and all in bet from my oponent... So im trying to avoid spots like these were i dont feel comfortable. I better lose some value atm than lose some proffit.
      First off, I recommend that you play shorter sessions and avoid at all costs to play when you are really tired. Sometimes it helps if you can take a nap after work and then play.

Another thing you can try is to add more sessions in the morning before you go to work (when you are in the freshest/best state of mind).

Second of all, do not give credit to your opponents. You are playing versus weaker opponents yet you think of them as thinking opponents. Poker is a game of limited information which means that the more information you have the better you can play. For example the information you may be missing here is the fact that players (at the limits you play) are weak and calling stations.

Remember what we teach: valuebet a lot more than bluff at the lower limits.

Thirdly, as you already mentioned, try to avoid marginal spots with low connectors. Your value, implied or not, is limited at best.

Question 3: What does it mean to play tight aggressive? (Describe in your own words what playing tight aggressive is and why does it work.)

Well, basicly i understand it as playing preflop small range of hands and try to put as much money as possible, to make pot big fast, to force all none premium hands out which lets us to put oponents on ranges more easy and gives our hand some extra fold equity even if we are behind on flop as they know our tight image and they know they will probably have to commit all stack to see the showdown which they dont want to do without TOP TOP or better as they know in most cases we will be ahead of their ranges.
      In my eyes: TAG = tight preflop, aggressive postflop. Because of a tight range preflop the person has a stronger range postflop and thus can be more aggressive.

And i have a question - may i do all my homeworks when i have a time or i can just move to next one when the previous have been accepted from a teacher? :)
      You can do the homeworks as you wish. You do not have to wait for my approval.

I'm sorry it took a bit longer to get back to you but from now on I should be able to respond in a timely fashion :)

As a side note don't forget to post hands on our evaluation forums and I'd like to invite you to the No-Limit Special [Beginner] Coaching that is held every Sunday (http://www.pokerstrategy.com/coaching/176692/)
    • vuciitis
      vuciitis
      Bronze
      nice to hear from you :)

i have posted some hands already and planning to do that in future too, hand experts there are pretty smart and explains situation good enough that beginners like me can understand.

about the coachings - i have started to take a part in them and i actually joined yours too yesterday ;)
    • vuciitis
      vuciitis
      Bronze
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)

Checked starting hands chart one more time, just to be clear i havent missed anything. Can say for sure that i completely agree with the chart. Only exception that comes in my mind could be calling in position a little bit more loose vs player who have lost bigger pot in last hand or got sucked out considering he might be steaming and pay off lighter if i hit my hand.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

well in cash games preflop i have no dificulties, at least when i make a mistake i can understand what and why after without a help of the judge. SNG`s on the other hand brings up tons of questions preflop (as they should) so, i will add link to that even if its not about NL cash games.

hand

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)

------ Equity---- Win ----- Tie -----------------------
      MP2 45.27% 26.93% 18.35% (88, AJs, KQs, AKo)
      MP3 54.73% 36.38% 18.35% (AKo)
    • vuciitis
      vuciitis
      Bronze
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)

Preflop:
      MP2 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% KsQs
      MP3 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% 3d3c

Postfop:
      MP2 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% KsQs
      MP3 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% 3d3c

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1:$2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero)$2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with A J
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 2 6 3 (3players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

So, im not sure if i used equilab right, but considering i have no tells and i have no idea how my oponent is playing i got equity like this on the turn (i dont think its any use here but still i waned to calculate it just to practice as i have never used it before besides this course)

CO 49.09% 46.12% 2.97% AcJc
      BU 50.91% 47.94% 2.97% random

Still he might be bluffing here with big ace because of the draw heavy board and my check in the flop and even if im behind atm i have still 9 outs to the nuts if he dont have a set already, and 2 overs which might be good if he dont have A2-A6 and 4 outs for split if he dont have pocket 77

Pot ods are pretty good atm : have to call 0,22$ more to win 1.01$ (if i didnt made a mistake in calculating pot size) Which is 5:1 wich is close to my flush outs and considering chance of split and overs i think the call is profitable. I would call here and see the river, depending on the card that comes i would bet or check and see his bet size on the river which might give me some more information.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

Well, as i mentioned before, i know i try to bluff too much and some times overplay my hands. But thouse are tipical beginner mistakes i guess and im trying to remember not to do that when im having my session :)

posted some hands i had trouble with:

hand 1
      hand 2
      hand 3

ps. sorry for no suit icons for hands as i had done this a while ago and saved as word doc, hope its not much trouble for you :)
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Question 1: What do you think you could play differently than suggested in the BSS Starting Hands Chart and why? (Are there any hands you would play differently? Do you have a problem or question about how a specific hand or hands should be played?)

Checked starting hands chart one more time, just to be clear i havent missed anything. Can say for sure that i completely agree with the chart. Only exception that comes in my mind could be calling in position a little bit more loose vs player who have lost bigger pot in last hand or got sucked out considering he might be steaming and pay off lighter if i hit my hand.
      What does the starting hand chart do?
      Should we modify those hands based on additional information that we gain at the table? If so, give us some examples of adjustments one can make.

Question 2: Do you have questions about your preflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. ( Post your hand in the Hand evaluation forums and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

well in cash games preflop i have no dificulties, at least when i make a mistake i can understand what and why after without a help of the judge. SNG`s on the other hand brings up tons of questions preflop (as they should) so, i will add link to that even if its not about NL cash games.

hand

Question 3: What is the equity of AKo against the top 5% range? 5% means 88+, AJs+, KQs, AKo. ( You can either calculate this yourself or use an equity calculator such as the PokerStrategy.com Equilab.)

------ Equity---- Win ----- Tie -----------------------
      MP2 45.27% 26.93% 18.35% (88, AJs, KQs, AKo)
      MP3 54.73% 36.38% 18.35% (AKo)
      Looks good.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Question 1: You are holding KQ. What is your preflop equity against an opponent who has 33? How does the equity change on this flop: J53? (Tip: you can use the Equilab to help you with this task.)

Preflop:
      MP2 50.78% 50.40% 0.38% KsQs
      MP3 49.22% 48.84% 0.38% 3d3c

Postfop:
      MP2 26.46% 26.46% 0.00% KsQs
      MP3 73.54% 73.54% 0.00% 3d3c
      Looks good.

Question 2: What would you do in the following hand? (Remember that it is important to explain your reasons, simply posting "Fold" or "Call" isn't enough!)
      No Limit hold'em $2 (9-handed)
      Players and stacks:
      UTG: $2.00
      UTG+1:$2.08
      MP1: $1.92
      MP2: $1.00
      MP3: $3.06
      CO: (Hero)$2.08
      BU: $2.00
      SB: $2.00
      BB: $1.24
      Preflop: Hero is CO with A J
      5 folds, Hero raises to $0.08, BU calls $0.08, SB folds, BB calls $0.06.
      Flop: ($0.25) 2 6 3 (3players)
      BB checks, Hero checks, BU checks.
      Turn: ($0.25) 5 (3players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.22, BU raises to $0.44, BB folds, Hero...?

So, im not sure if i used equilab right, but considering i have no tells and i have no idea how my oponent is playing i got equity like this on the turn (i dont think its any use here but still i waned to calculate it just to practice as i have never used it before besides this course)

CO 49.09% 46.12% 2.97% AcJc
      BU 50.91% 47.94% 2.97% random

Still he might be bluffing here with big ace because of the draw heavy board and my check in the flop and even if im behind atm i have still 9 outs to the nuts if he dont have a set already, and 2 overs which might be good if he dont have A2-A6 and 4 outs for split if he dont have pocket 77

Pot ods are pretty good atm : have to call 0,22$ more to win 1.01$ (if i didnt made a mistake in calculating pot size) Which is 5:1 wich is close to my flush outs and considering chance of split and overs i think the call is profitable. I would call here and see the river, depending on the card that comes i would bet or check and see his bet size on the river which might give me some more information.
      Calling here is fine considering we have the nut flush draw (backdoor) so we have implied odds (along with ok pot odds).

Your equilab calculation above looks at your equity versus a random hand. Villain in this spot doesn't quite have 100% of his range so you'd need to narrow it down a bit.

Question 3: Do you have questions about your postflop play? Post your hand for evaluation. (Post your hand in the hand evaluation forum and provide a link to your hand in your private thread in the Locker Room.)

Well, as i mentioned before, i know i try to bluff too much and some times overplay my hands. But thouse are tipical beginner mistakes i guess and im trying to remember not to do that when im having my session :)

posted some hands i had trouble with:

hand 1
      hand 2
      hand 3

ps. sorry for no suit icons for hands as i had done this a while ago and saved as word doc, hope its not much trouble for you :)
      No worries. All your hands should have answers :)
    • vuciitis
      vuciitis
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS

Should we modify those hands based on additional information that we gain at the table? If so, give us some examples of adjustments one can make.
      As i understand this, starting hand chart is a middle point how to chose the right hands to play vs average players. But adjusting them based on information i have on them i play more loose against players which are looser than average and i play tighter against tighter players considering their ranges are different - wider/tighter. Also i would 3bet my premium hands more against players who have big 3bet calling % and make a bigger opening bet vs calling stations considering they dont care if they call x3bb or x4-5bb opening raise, if they want to play that hand they will still call... This would make pot preflop bigger and a potentially bigger bets possible after the flop if i hit my hand or the board is pretty save for my pocket pair to value bet.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic

As i understand this, starting hand chart is a middle point how to chose the right hands to play vs average players. But adjusting them based on information i have on them i play more loose against players which are looser than average and i play tighter against tighter players considering their ranges are different - wider/tighter. Also i would 3bet my premium hands more against players who have big 3bet calling % and make a bigger opening bet vs calling stations considering they dont care if they call x3bb or x4-5bb opening raise, if they want to play that hand they will still call... This would make pot preflop bigger and a potentially bigger bets possible after the flop if i hit my hand or the board is pretty save for my pocket pair to value bet.
      Those are just some adjustments we can make and you are on the right track.

We can also adjust the range based on stack sizes for example.
    • vuciitis
      vuciitis
      Bronze

Those are just some adjustments we can make and you are on the right track.

We can also adjust the range based on stack sizes for example.
      i see u want to squeeze some more out of me :)

talking about stack sizes i guess you want me to add that i should play low pocket pairs only against oponent who have stack deep enough, so if i hit my set on the flop, i am able to get full value out of it, what means the amount i invest of the pot should be less than the stack size split with the odds of me hitting a set on the flop, which was 13% if im not mistaken. So it would be a simple formula like this - [money invested preflop x 13 < oponents stack size]. If i get it right, then its called implied odds. Also i know that many ppl use small stack strategies, but im not exactly sure how does it works, i guess they play more loose than normal, so i guess i should play wider range against short stacks.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Exactly, for PPs, if you play for set mine you want to use the 20 rule so stack size (and raise size) are very important.

Against short stacks it really depends.

There are types that play really nitty because they play a ton of tables and we can still play tight versus them. And there are looser ones. The higher you move up in limits the looser they will get.