Hero (BTN): $50.23
      SB: $23.20
      BB: $37.52
      UTG: $44.83
      MP: $52.87
      CO: $44.98

SB posts SB $0.10, BB posts BB $0.25

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.35) Hero has K:diamond: J:heart:

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.50, fold, BB raises to $1.50, Hero calls $1.00

Flop: ($3.10, 2 players) 3:diamond: Q:club: 8:diamond:
      BB checks, Hero bets $1.96, BB calls $1.96

Turn: ($7.02, 2 players) 9:club:
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($7.02, 2 players) 4:diamond:
      BB checks, Hero bets $4.44...

i think i can rep flushdraws and Qx better fairly well with this line. think that we can valuebet as low as QJ otr
      sizings? do you think it's a reasonable line?

in general, what do you think about just 3barreling nearly a 100% range on nearly 100% of runouts in this spot?
  • 3 replies
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      The idea of barreling is OK but I don't like doing it 100% if the time. The nice thing is that opponent will usually c/r his strong hands. I don't know how competent or tricky he is capable of playing but I wouldn't find it too surprising that he checks KK+ here. If you want to make him fold some air you can do it without betting a bunch of streets.

With a low equity hand such as yours I actually prefer checking back flop. If you check back flop you can have 8x, 99, TT, probably JJ too, QT a resonable amount of the time as well. Then, you can rep turns for value and he will probably try and represent K and J when they hit so you get value.

My thinking is: decide what you want to bluff him of off then act accordingly. Don't try to bluff him off everything because that's just never gonna happen. Given the low equity of your hand but good BD equity I think it's close between barreling or checking back and repping thin value hands to make him fold his really weak hands.

He might not be good enough to check/call a decent range here but if I put myself in his spot I am well aware you have all sets in your range so I wouldn't go to crazy with cbetting. It's one of the spots I cbet a ridiculously small amount of the time against someone I perceive as OK regular.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Hey,

- Preflop, I think 4B/F is great with this hand? The hand still doesn't play great and villain isn't also superaggro. We also don't really know how he plays in 3B pots. Do you agree with me?

- Flop, what do you think villains' range is when he checks flop? I think its more bluffcatchheavy than nuthand (slowplay/trap) hand-heavy. This is why I think that firing 2 barrels with some equity is great in this spot. I'm checking equilab and vs those bluffcatching hands we still have only ~20% EQ so that's probably with you ment Emmanuel? This is too little because we can't be sure he folds QJ or JJ vs 2 barrels? But how can we just check and give up on the hand whilst this seems a spot we need to bluff because we never win? Don't you think bet F followed by bet T has more FE with checking behind the flop and bet T?

Thanks
    • EmanuelC16
      EmanuelC16
      Bronze
      Hi,

Given the odds we get preflop and being deep IP in a BU vs BB situation where both ranges are quite wide, I think KJo is definitely defendable and most often I do call it, would only fold if being dominated is a big issue. He is way looser than average for VPIP/PFR so I think 3bet stat will be reasonably loose as well. If you compare someone being a bit looser than average in these positions, you can defend KJo IP imo. 4betting could be an option if you think you can't call it profitably and he folds often enough. Being IP though I tend to 4bet a lot less and call a lot more and play postflop. That's where the money is made!

About villains postflop range after the check I kind of agree but what do bluffcatchers do? The answer is in the name, they catch bluffs so I would not start bluffing with KJo with an over that is like 50/50 to be good and just backdoor draws, not even all to the nuts. When you check back flop you can have JJ, TT, 99, turned set, can be pot controlling a hand like QTs or Q9s since you are deep. Since you are deep though, I also think it's a bit more likely he can have a check/raising range for value here. I think that our goal with a very low equity hand such as KJo here should be to bluff him of air or underpairs if he has them. I would not try and make him fold 8x or better almost ever. I would use better equity hands for that such as ATcc, JTcc, 76dd, maybe 8x with clubs, A3cc, etc. Basically, more potential to make the nuts later on. KJo almost never makes the nuts til the river so I think we get too spewy by betting it into a range that folds it's air later for a cheap price anyway but also a range that still contains quite a few hands that don't fold to one bet.