[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL 50 AK 4way flop

• DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      On Game, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

MP: $65.53 (131.1 bb)
      CO: $102.29 (204.6 bb)
      BTN: $59.62 (119.2 bb)
      SB: $64.28 (128.6 bb)
      BB: $119.51 (239 bb)
      Hero (UTG): $50 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K A
      Hero raises to $2, MP calls $2, CO folds, BTN calls $2, SB folds, BB calls $1.50

Flop: ($8.25) A 4 2 (4 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $6, MP calls $6, 2 folds

Turn: ($20.25) T (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $6, Hero calls $6

River: ($32.25) K (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP bets $16.25, Hero folds

I was surprised when I reviewed this hand.

My logic was like he is not calling flop with worse than AQ so it's better to bluffcatch... wrong since I just said that he is not calling flop with worse than AQ --> no bluffs in his range.

I think best play is to just go bet bet bet with medium barrels to get value from AQ and fold when raised.
  • 7 replies
    • duder1n0
      duder1n0
      Gold
      I agree, 3street valuebet/fold, medium sizing is also a good idea, so he could call us down with worse.
      But as played, why did you fold on the river? Do you think he always just has 44/22 here, and we will never be good with top2?
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      Hey,

Vs these opponents, when we have top pair top kicker we should keep betting and betting and betting. If our hand strength changes or our opponent raises we can normally make a very easy fold.

As played this river is a super standard SNAP call, he can have a2/a4/a10 combos and we are getting a very good price.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Originally posted by pleno1
      Hey,

Vs these opponents, when we have top pair top kicker we should keep betting and betting and betting. If our hand strength changes or our opponent raises we can normally make a very easy fold.

As played this river is a super standard SNAP call, he can have a2/a4/a10 combos and we are getting a very good price.
      Can you explain this a little further? Why keep betting? Why is checking worse? This looks like a leak in my game and I don't really undestand.

In this hand I'd expect this guy to be very nitty in his calls on the flop as it is 4way and I represent a shitload of strength (I even think my bet size should be smaller - maybe even half pot to induce calls from weak aces)
    • SPeedFANat1c
      SPeedFANat1c
      Gold
      he can have a2/a4/a10

A2, A4 calling preflop in MP? NOt many stats but call open in MP is 0 (5). And standard is not to call with A2 in MP I think.
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      If u think he folds AQ,AJ on the turn, u should bet amount he calls, same for the river. Checking isn't that good because, as u said, he has no bluffs. So he will bet AQ once and check the river, since he expects us to be pretty strong. We will miss some value from AQ,AJ that way.

I'd go for 60% pot bet all streets here.

As played, definitely call the river, u have almost the nuts there. He could bet even AQ for that sizing.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      What about going lower 40-50%? Don't you think it increases our chance of getting called by AQ/AJ?
    • imfromsweden007
      imfromsweden007
      Bronze
      To be honest I don't mind check/folding turn.

I know, sounds weak, but like someone pointed out, he's very strong when he calls our flop bet. He can certainly have AQ, but he is never going to bet a big bet on the turn with AQ. He's going to put out a little gay bet of 6$ or just check back. If he bets small, we can c/c. If he bets big, we can c/f.

As played, snap river dude! You have the toppest two pairs!

ifs