[NL2-NL10] TT vs UTG open

• JHTAN
      JHTAN
      Bronze
      Full Tilt, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, Rush, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $13.08 (130.8 bb)
      SB: $12.02 (120.2 bb)
      BB: $36.79 (367.9 bb)
      UTG: $10.60 (106 bb)
      MP: $13.94 (139.4 bb)
      Hero (CO): $10.16 (101.6 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T T
      UTG raises to $0.30, MP folds, Hero calls $0.30, 3 folds

Flop: ($0.75) 3 9 3 (2 players)
      UTG bets $0.49, Hero raises to $1.30, UTG folds

Results:
      $1.73 pot ($0.11 rake)
      Final Board: 3 9 3
      UTG mucked and lost (-$0.79 net)
      Hero mucked T T and won $1.62 ($0.83 net)

Hello,

UTG is unknown. If I have JJ, is that good to 3bet?
      I noticed that for TT, probability no overcard on Flop is 31% and people like to cbet expecially this broad.
      I think VS villain that like to barrel Flop and Turn, then raise Flop is good. However, VS villain that like to cbet Flop then play honest Turn and River then call Flop is good; but how to play VS unknown?

Thanks.
  • 5 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Hi JHtan.

Would JJ be a 3bet for value or bluff?

Can you explain why you think this: "I think VS villain that like to barrel Flop and Turn, then raise Flop is good. However, VS villain that like to cbet Flop then play honest Turn and River then call Flop is good; but how to play VS unknown?"

Isn't raising flop turning our hand into a bluff? What worse calls/continues and what better folds?
    • JHTAN
      JHTAN
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Hi JHtan.

Can you explain why you think this: "I think VS villain that like to barrel Flop and Turn, then raise Flop is good. However, VS villain that like to cbet Flop then play honest Turn and River then call Flop is good; but how to play VS unknown?"

Isn't raising flop turning our hand into a bluff? What worse calls/continues and what better folds?
      Hi Bogdan,

1)JJ for value if he calls with worse hand and for protection because we will have overcard(Q,K,A) on Flop 57%.
      2)I mean we can't call Flop then give up on Turn if villain bets again. Villain can bets on many Turn cards. For example, I like to raise low pocket pair on this broad to protect my hand because my equity will decrease on Turn VS villain's range. I know that balancing is not important on this limit, ie we don't raise Flop with monster only.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by JHTAN
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Hi JHtan.

Hi Bogdan,

1)JJ for value if he calls with worse hand and for protection because we will have overcard(Q,K,A) on Flop 57%.
      2)I mean we can't call Flop then give up on Turn if villain bets again. Villain can bets on many Turn cards. For example, I like to raise low pocket pair on this broad to protect my hand because my equity will decrease on Turn VS villain's range. I know that balancing is not important on this limit, ie we don't raise Flop with monster only.
      1) Against a UTG raise your 3-bet would be more like a bluff because we are 3-bet/folding and even hands that he calls are doing ok versus us. So instead of turning my hand into a semi-bluff preflop we can call and play in position with a decent hand (implied odds hand) especially if there are fish behind us.

2) But while you protect by raising the flop you also turn your hand into a bluff. We can't really go broke here and we can't expect him to call (m)any worse hands.

On top of it you are protecting against, at most, 2 overcards which means that the chance he hits either is about 12% for the turn (6 outs)>
    • JHTAN
      JHTAN
      Bronze
      Hi Bordan,

Postflop, do you mean we should play passively on Flop with pocket pair?
      For example, Preflop, we(MP,CO,BU) call with JJ, Postflop we call his cbet on this Flop IP and try to check it down if he checks to us on Turn and River?

Thanks.
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Originally posted by JHTAN
      Hi Bordan,

Postflop, do you mean we should play passively on Flop with pocket pair?
      For example, Preflop, we(MP,CO,BU) call with JJ, Postflop we call his cbet on this Flop IP and try to check it down if he checks to us on Turn and River?

Thanks.
      Hi,

It really depends on the board texture and villain but in general on these boards, if we can't raise for value, what else is left? We can't fold and surely we don't want to turn our hand into a bluff.

The idea would not necessarily be to call one and ck down. There are turns we can bet for value/protection and even ones where we have to fold like an A (when a tight opener double barrels).