Hero (BTN): 124.4 BB
      SB: 124.6 BB
      BB: 121.2 BB (VP 14 / PR 9 / Hands 61)
      UTG: 166.6 BB
      MP: 95.8 BB (VP 13 / PR 13 / Hands 8)
      CO: 106.8 BB

SB posts SB 0.4 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.07) Hero has A:spade: Q:club:

fold, MP raises to 2 BB, fold, Hero raises to 6 BB, fold, BB calls 5 BB, MP calls 4 BB

Flop: ($0.92, 3 players) Q:spade: K:spade: 7:club:
      BB checks, MP checks, Hero?

PF: MP doesn't show much strength, so I raise with the intention of winning the hand here or getting value from worse hands.

F: Hero has middle pair, top kicker, with backdoor draws to the nut flush and straight. However there are a few hands which could be beating him {77, KT+}. His opponent's ranges will mostly consist of broadway cards so there is a good chance one could have Kx.

Hero could bet here, he would be protecting his hand from any draws but runs the risk of either over-playing his hand or having to fold a hand with decent equity to a raise. However, if he does bet then he has numerous cards which he could fire a second barrel on, Xc, T, J, A, Q. He also has position, there is a decent chance that his opponent's would have donked if they were strong.

By checking behind, he will be able to place a delayed c-bet if they other plays check around to him due to his position. He will then be able to get value from Qx hands which would have otherwise folded to a bet on the flop. However, if he is ahead then he lets his draws see a free card.

Since his hand isn't very strong, he doesn't have to protect a marginal hand that could already be far behind. Therefore, I find favour in checking behind here and re-evaluating on the turn.
  • 3 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

I like 3betting preflop but I'd do it somethink like 7-8bb against a minraise.

On the flop I think that checking back and betting are both good options, but I would just got for a bet because of the following reasons:
      - there are worse hands that can call us - Qx/draws
      - we can pick up the pot right here which is nice
      - we have position so we can get to the river for free if we need.
      Overall being aggressive is better than being passive and in the long term it would pay.

Anything to add?

Best,
      Plamen
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      Edit: Forgot to include the stats which I have on my opponents, how does this change your decision, if it does at all?

I guess the only thing this changes is that I can't expect BB to call with Qx and I don't think he could have any draws to call with here. Though I guess I can get him to fold significant chunk of his range here. Also, if I did check behind, and he bet the turn then I don't think he has any bluffs here.

But I guess that MP could still find a call with worse.

PS. I really like your explanations so far, thanks a lot!
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello again,

We don't really have many hands on them so stats won't change much here.

We have just 8 hands for MP so we can consider him as an unknown.

BB looks nitty so we can expect that his calling range here is almost always pocket pairs which is another thing that leads us to betting since he will most likely be folding so we just have to worry about MP.

Also, if I did check behind, and he bet the turn then I don't think he has any bluffs here.
      Exactly. I'd just fold if he bets.

PS. I really like your explanations so far, thanks a lot!
      Thanks.

Best,
      Plamen