[NL2-NL10] NL2 Zoom a Trio of Hands

• Sashalyuber
      Sashalyuber
      Bronze
      PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

Button ($4.26)
      SB ($2.25)
      BB ($2)
      UTG ($3.31)
      UTG+1 ($2.06)
      MP1 ($3.08)
      MP2 ($5.53)
      MP3 ($1.01)
      Hero (CO) ($2.16)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A:spade: , 9:club:
      5 folds, Hero bets $0.06, Button calls $0.06, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.15) 10:club: , 2:heart: , 5:spade: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.08, Button calls $0.08

Turn: ($0.31) 9:heart: (2 players)
      Hero checks, Button bets $0.16, Hero folds

Total pot: $0.31 | Rake: $0.01

Was Villains bet on the turn a C-bet, after my check or do you believe he was showing strength? Or more likely is it different for every opponent? I've been dealing with a lot of theses kinds of lines lately and I am just wondering what is the best way to interpret them. I would absolutely love to hear how other players at this limit play their C-Bets after they get a call. When is a good time to turn C-bet? What kind of flop should you look for? Things like that... :)

Results:

Button didn't show

PokerStars Zoom No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

saw flop | saw showdown

Button ($3.08)
      SB ($2.54)
      BB ($1.38)
      UTG ($3.75)
      UTG+1 ($1.98)
      MP1 ($1.03)
      MP2 ($2)
      Hero (MP3) ($2.13)
      CO ($2.65)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 5:diamond: , 5:club:
      1 fold, UTG+1 bets $0.06, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.06, 4 folds

Flop: ($0.15) 2:spade: , 8:diamond: , 4:club: (2 players)
      UTG+1 bets $0.04, Hero raises to $0.14, UTG+1 calls $0.10

Turn: ($0.43) 2:heart: (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $0.28, UTG+1 calls $0.28

River: ($0.99) 7:club: (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero checks

Total pot: $0.99 | Rake: $0.03

With this hand I am just wondering if my play is correct. I suspected Villiain was holding some over cards and by his small bet on the flop I thought perhaps he was just c-beting. With my PP a raise looked good and of course with the turn card not likely not improving anyone's hand, another turn bet also seemed okay. What I am wondering is if I should have continued the aggression on the river? Furthermore what if the turn card had been something like a jack or Q how would my play likely change?

Results:

UTG+1 had A:club: , Q:diamond: (one pair, twos).
      Hero had 5:diamond: , 5:club: (two pair, fives and twos).
      Outcome: Hero won $0.96

saw flop | saw showdown

Button ($0.91)
      Hero (SB) ($2.04)
      BB ($3.29)
      UTG ($1.54)
      UTG+1 ($2.38)
      MP1 ($1.30)
      MP2 ($2.03)
      MP3 ($0.97)
      CO ($5.27)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q:diamond: , A:diamond:
      2 folds, MP1 bets $0.08, 4 folds, Hero calls $0.07, 1 fold

Flop: ($0.18) 5:diamond: , J:club: , 9:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 bets $0.06, Hero calls $0.06

Turn: ($0.30) J:spade: (2 players)
      Hero checks, MP1 checks

River: ($0.30) 8:heart: (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.20, 1 fold

Total pot: $0.30 | Rake: $0.01

This hand brings up a point that ive wanted to get clarification on for a while. I have it clearly listed in my "What not to do Book" that I should not check the turn then try to steal the river when I don't have a hand. Don't try to steal the river when you haven't showed any aggression!! I have been restraining from trying to steal the river period. In any situation I just don't steal the river. What I am wondering is if a more experienced player at these limits could offer up their opinion when it comes to stealing the river. What kind of flop and player do you look for what kind of line do you need to have, so on and so forth... Any insight would be awesome!

Results:

Hero didn't show Q:diamond: , A:diamond: (nothing).
  • 1 reply
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

I want to ask you to just post one hand in a thread next time.

About the hands:

#1 Not really need to open this hand but if you think you can play it ok postflop it's fine.

Cbetting this flop is fine.

On the turn we do pick up some showdown value and we have to ask ourselves what are the possible scenarios.
      If we bet - are there any worse hands to call or better to fold. I generally don't think that there are better hands that are going to fold here. There might be some worse hands that could call us (for example KQ/KJ/QJ that decided to float the flop) or some PPs. Also when we bet we have some fold equity.
      If we check we can either check/fold which I think is a little bit weak, or check/call which might be a good option if we had any particular information about villain about how he plays.

Without information I prefer to just bet and c/f the river.

When is a good time to turn C-bet?
      Basically it's good to cbet the turn as a bluff when:
      - we do pick up extra equity - for example we had a backdoor FD on the flop and hit the FD on the turn
      - the card is a good for our range (we pick up extra fold equity) - for example we have Q9 and cbet on T64r and the turn comes an ace. Since ace would hit our range very well it's a good card to bet.

Preflop calling is fine.

Postflop I think it's a better option to call the flop bet and try to get to SD as cheap as possible.

As played on the flop, I prefer checking back the turn.

On the river checking back is just fine.

Furthermore what if the turn card had been something like a jack or Q how would my play likely change?
      Well since you mostly put him on overcards Q will be a bad card for us and I'd check.

Calling preflop is fine but you have to be cautious with your postflop play.

So I think a lot of players struggle to play those bets on the flop and with this your NonSD winnings would struggle a lot.
      What do you achieve by calling the flop OOP?
      What is your plan to play the hand on those three turn cards: 4 :spade: , T :club: , A :heart: if he bets 2/3 pot?
      I think without any plan it's just best to fold with A high.

As played on the flop and turn, I'd just check the river. We have A high and we could win the pot from times to times.

Do you have anything to add or ask?

Best,
      Plamen