[NL20-NL50] NL25sh - AT bvb vs fish

• Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze
      Hey,

What about preflop? Should we get it in? I think he isn't shoving a loose range even though he is shortstacked. Just looks like a passive fish.

3bet can be for value but we don't have room to play postflop... Is this bad? :P

Should we call the flop? :]

Poker Stars $25.00 No Limit Hold'em - 5 players - View hand 2009489
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $25.00 - VPIP: 19, PFR: 17, 3B: 5, AF: 2.7, Hands: 174
      SB: $8.03 - VPIP: 50, PFR: 13, 3B: 0, AF: 1.0, Hands: 24
      Hero (BB): $26.14 - VPIP: 17, PFR: 14, 3B: 6, AF: 3.6, Hands: 535581
      UTG: $33.64 - VPIP: 20, PFR: 16, 3B: 5, AF: 1.5, Hands: 214
      CO: $32.75 - VPIP: 17, PFR: 11, 3B: 8, AF: 2.0, Hands: 35

Pre Flop: ($0.35) Hero is BB with A :club: T :heart:
      3 folds, SB raises to $0.50, Hero calls $0.25

Flop: ($1.00) 7 :diamond: J :club: 5 :heart: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.50, Hero calls $0.50

Turn: ($2.00) 5 :diamond: (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks

River: ($2.00) 9 :diamond: (2 players)
      SB bets $0.50, Hero folds

Final Pot: $2.00
      SB wins $1.91
      (Rake: $0.09)
  • 2 replies
    • Keyser1
      Keyser1
      Bronze
      Hi Farmarchist,

I like that you're posting some of these small spots that many people feel are inconsequential. A lot of players only like to focus on the big pots where they got stacked or stacked someone else. It makes sense--the pots where you either won or lost a lot of money seem like the spots that determine whether you win or lose a lot of money at poker. Those spots are important, of course, but I believe that poker is a game of inches, and these preflop and flop decisions in small pots are even more important than the big hands that are usually coolers anyway.

I like thinking about these spots myself because I don't think there's ever a clear answer, just a few things we can consider.

I would play this hand the same way that you did. As you mentioned, villain is shortstacked but with stats of 50/13 he's likely just a passive fish who won't stack off light preflop. Players who have a very wide spread between their VPIP and PFR can only get that spread by limping a lot and cold calling a lot. Their open raises tend to be relatively strong, even if his open raise here is just a minopen from the SB. I expect players with similar stat profiles to open limp the SB a lot. Against his raising range I don't want to 3bet and stack off because I'd expect ATo to be behind.

You asked,
      3bet can be for value but we don't have room to play postflop... Is this bad?
      Not having room to play postflop would be a problem if we're 3betting a polarized 3betting hand like 76s. With 30bbs, big card hands like ATo actually play pretty well. We're looking to make a pair and get the money in. Two broadway cards are great for that purpose. Our overcards help.

So I don't think not having too much room to play postflop is a bad thing when you have cards like this. That's not to say 3betting here is a good idea. I don't think it is against this player. I'm just saying that fundamentally, this is the type of hand you want in a 3bet pot with these effective stack sizes.

Against his small flop sizing I think it's a clear call. His range is relatively snug but our ATo high still has SD value. He also looks like the type of player who isn't likely to run two or three barrel bluffs. I think we can call his small flop bet and get to showdown frequently.

Your river fold looks good. Even though he bet tiny, there's just too many ways for us to be beat.
    • Farmarchist
      Farmarchist
      Bronze