Pre Flop: (pot: $0.35) Hero has A:heart: A:diamond:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.75, BTN calls $0.75, fold, fold

Flop: ($1.85, 2 players) 7:spade: 2:diamond: 3:heart:
      Hero bets $1.25, BTN calls $1.25

Turn: ($4.35, 2 players) 7:diamond:
      Hero bets $3.00, BTN calls $3.00

River: ($10.35, 2 players) 5:diamond:
      Hero bets $5.00, BTN calls $5.00

Do you think I should of bet the pot on the river...? I was in two minds whether to pot bet or 50% and hope he calls/raises thinking the 50% sizing may induce a raise. Player is 27/19 after 50 hands. But not seen much of note to this point in the way of SD's etc. Or should I of just kept it simple and bet $7-$8?

Edited because bet sizing was in BB and pot in $'s.
  • 4 replies
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      bets in bb and pot on $ is SOOOOO weird

i'd just bet (way) bigger every street.

in any case, unless you bet like 30% pot, if he raises the river you have a quite easy fold.
      people don't double float to bluff raise the river that often and don't do it for value with JJ either.
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Tomaloc
      bets in bb and pot on $ is SOOOOO weird

Yeah I know, I will look for the option to change it ... Guessing there must be a way.

Originally posted by Tomaloc

i'd just bet (way) bigger every street.

in any case, unless you bet like 30% pot, if he raises the river you have a quite easy fold.
      people don't double float to bluff raise the river that often and don't do it for value with JJ either.

So like $1.75 on the flop... $5 Turn ... $15/shove River? With adjusted totals.

And yes, I did think I would have a job to call a shove on the river, but at the same time I am pretty aggressive and looser than the average TAG, and I expect anyone looking to have noticed this within 50 hands and expect me to often have 44+ that didn't make a set A,T+ maybe. AQs+ and AK, maybe 4,5s. Plus, I have played there previous to this database in last 2 months so regs have more on me atm than I do on them.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      load a hand -> options -> display options -> untick show chips in bb

if they think that you are barreling wide their adjustment will be to call you looser, not to float two streets with air to bluffshove or make razor thin valueraises on the river.
      7x that was the flop's top pair also improved so i'm definitely not happy vs a river shove.

i think that 80%+/80%/shove is doable but quite hard to balance. should be fine against a fish that will never fold any overpair though, otherwise you'll isolate against a nutted range.

against a good opponent, sizings as played are fine, but i'd still bet 2/3 on the river and fold to a raise.
      i just didn't take btn as solid at first because 27/19 but for 50 hands that may easily be just sample noise.
    • Keyser1
      Keyser1
      Bronze
      Hi MrMardyBum,

I'd consider check-calling this turn and river. It might sound a bit strange but let's think about villain's range:

Many of the hands you're targeting by bet/bet/shoving in this hand are worse overpairs. Hands like 88-TT are possible, but hands like JJ-KK are unlikely to be in his villain's cold calling range button vs. CO. TT is a value 3bet for a lot of people, too. So basically, by betting turn and shoving river you're hoping he has 88/99 (which are in his range but not a huge part of it) or makes some bad calls with 44-66.

A lot of the reason you'd bet turn and river on other boards is to get value from top pair. Here, you obviously can't get value from top pair anymore now that top pair is trips. In my opinion, that means you should shift your plan toward trying to maximizing against villain's floats + widen his betting range by getting him to bet turn with hands that won't call a bet. I think you achieve that better by check-calling.

Without knowing anything about villain it's hard to say for sure what types of hands are in his flop calling range. If he is not folding to very many cbets then I think it's likely he's going to float this board button vs. CO with a lot of random overcards, hands with BDFDs, backdoor OESDs like 89, or Ax, etc. Many of those hands are either going to
      a) fold when you bet the turn
      b) bluff raise the turn representing trips. IME, you get raised a lot when you barrel the turn after the top card pairs. Unless you have such a good read that allows you to bet/call turn and check-call AI on the river, I think it might be best to avoid that by check-calling turn.

Once you check this turn it looks like you're giving up and are afraid of the seven. A lot of villains will bet/bet once you check trying to rep it. His range is polarized when he does that, and since it's hard to have trips, he's likely to have bluffs.

I've also found that many micro and small stakes players play poorly when the preflop raiser checks the turn. Generally their leak is that they bet too often in spots where they don't get called by worse or fold out better. What this means is that you're likely going to get another bet out of a hand like 66 when you check anyway, and you're unlikely to get two bets out of that hand by betting. You'd get the same value against those portions of villain's range but by checking you'd also get more value out of villain's floats.