[NL2-NL10] 77 set: slowplay?

• Imimba1
      Imimba1
      Bronze
      Poker Stars $10.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 2009634
      DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

MP: $16.98 - VPIP: 30, PFR: 16, 3B: 2, AF: 1,0, Hands: 203, CC:35, WTS:39, FtoCB: 33
      Hero (CO): $10.55 - VPIP: 21, PFR: 16, 3B: 4, AF: 2,0, Hands: 56117
      BTN: $10.00 - VPIP: 20, PFR: 15, 3B: 0, AF: 3,0, Hands: 41
      SB: $17.07 - VPIP: 15, PFR: 12, 3B: 7, AF: 1,7, Hands: 74
      BB: $55.02 - VPIP: 27, PFR: 27, 3B: 22, AF: 4,0, Hands: 22
      UTG: $10.48 - VPIP: 20, PFR: 20, 3B: 12, AF: 5,0, Hands: 61

Pre Flop: ($0.15) Hero is CO with 7 :club: 7 :heart:
      UTG raises to $0.30, MP calls $0.30, Hero calls $0.30, 3 folds

Flop: ($1.05) A :heart: 7 :spade: T :club: (3 players)
      UTG bets $0.60, MP calls $0.60, Hero?
  • 9 replies
    • pucilpet
      pucilpet
      Bronze
      Maybe it is just me but I don't like slow playing bottom set against two villains. There's a high likelyhood that one of the villains has a draw to the nuts and you're giving them a possibility to draw cheaply.

Also it's pretty likely that either or both of them has a hand they want to continue (Ax comes to mind) - even if raised. You'll get more value from those with raising here.

If I've got nuts, I'll go for a bit of a slow play all day long - even multiway... ;)
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Before you making your decision on the flop think about how you would play the turn and how various cards can change the board. Are there scare cards for us or them (cards that kill the action)?

I would say that on this board I can see ourselves slowplaying one street but we could also raise to get value from Ax especially from MP who seems fishy.
    • Imimba1
      Imimba1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by BogdanPS
      Before you making your decision on the flop think about how you would play the turn and how various cards can change the board. Are there scare cards for us or them (cards that kill the action)?

I would say that on this board I can see ourselves slowplaying one street but we could also raise to get value from Ax especially from MP who seems fishy.
      I really like your style. You not only say what to do, but how to think, which is very useful, thank you very much!

Well, if I call the flop, the pot is 2.85$, and effective stack size: 9.65$.
      No scarecard can come, the board is A-high already, and no draws.

If villain bets only 1.5$ on the turn, we both call, the pot is 7.35$, and stack size is 8.15$. (Or 1.8$, 8.25$, 7.85$) I have position, so thankfully I can raise on the river, or bet for value. All in all, I think position gives us the right to slowplay till river. I mean, with 1 raise all the money goes in, I have position, so I can decide when to do it. Better later
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      You are welcome :)

Position does give us the chance to slowplay till the river but we also want to potentially get the money in on various turns. For example a 8 or 9 or turns that bring FDs (because villains range will hit more).

Now his range is split in two: one that would play for stacks anyway and against that we don't care if we slowplay or raise (hands like sets, 2p).

And the other part of his range is made of hands that won't play for stacks (complete air, 1p hands, etc.). So we have to maximize value versus this part of his range.
    • Imimba1
      Imimba1
      Bronze

Position does give us the chance to slowplay till the river but we also want to potentially get the money in on various turns. For example a 8 or 9 or turns that bring FDs (because villains range will hit more).

Now his range is split in two: one that would play for stacks anyway and against that we don't care if we slowplay or raise (hands like sets, 2p).

And the other part of his range is made of hands that won't play for stacks (complete air, 1p hands, etc.). So we have to maximize value versus this part of his range.
      +1, niceee
    • Imimba1
      Imimba1
      Bronze
      really nice
    • Imimba1
      Imimba1
      Bronze

I'm still digesting this, really good line of thought!!!
    • Imimba1
      Imimba1
      Bronze
      still nice
    • Imimba1
      Imimba1
      Bronze
      Still awesome post