Live $10, 16 man SNG Deepstack evaluation needed

• elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      I just got home from the tournament described above.

It was a 16 man Deepstack SnG split to two tables initially.

Starting stack was 15,000 with 25 minute blinds starting at 50/100.

There was a particular hand which I am not sure about. We were 6 players left and I was playing a stack of around 55,000 chips with blinds 500/1000.

Action was folded on me on the cuttof with AK.

I raise to 4100 and the shortstack on SB pushes for 8,000.

BB then calls the bet and I call as well.

Flop: 2 diamonds, 7 spades, 5 of diamonds. Pot 24,000.

Big blind pushed all in for another 8,000.

I called with the reasoning that:

a) Shortstack did not matter at that moment to me as he could be pushing with any two face cards, any ace.

b) The person on the BB was actually my girlfriend which can be a very loose agressive player and can get out of line. At the time she pushed I was still beating most aces or any two high cards.

c) Even if she did have a calling range such as TT+ as long as she didnt hold exactly AA or Kk I was getting exactly 4:1 to call.

Any thoughts?

Small stack had 99 and BB had JJ . I made the call and JJ held up to win the pot
  • 10 replies
    • danan758
      danan758
      Bronze
      it sounds like u might hv to include stacks sizes and payout structure for anyone to help u here
    • danan758
      danan758
      Bronze
      look at the bright side
      if u manage to hit a king or ace and outdraw her top pair u can use your winning to make her happy later
      if she wins same thing either way great play!!
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      Don't ever fold AK getting 1/5 odds or so. Even with 2 overcards, you will be getting 25% odds against some mid pair like 99, TT, 7x. Your gf should have just pushed, but anyway, if checked to- u push as well, not much to do when eff. stack sizes are that shallow.
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      I know she had to push kurkabin, something we discussed later.

Payout structure was first three.

First 65%, second 30%, third 5% or effectively his buyin back.

Stack sizes. I was a chip leader at the moment at 55,000 along with another player who was playing a 48,000 stack.

Two players of around 30-35,000, the BB with 16,000 and shortstack with 19,000.
    • herekPL
      herekPL
      Bronze
      why u just call pre with 8k effective stack?
    • zilltine
      zilltine
      Bronze
      Originally posted by herekPL
      min raise from 4.1k would be 8.2k in most live games. That leaves OP without choice to jam. He should have thought about it and raise to 4k tho imo
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      For two reasons.

Firstly the small stack was a weak passive player. He would limp 80% of hands and folded to a raise pre flop 90% of times.

I knew I would make him get out of they way with anything below top 10% of his range, even if he shoved like he did I wouldnt mind calling obviously.

Secondly I felt there was a better chance of isolating either player, preferably the BB with position and I knew I could exploit post flop rather than shove.

What I am thinking over and over is whether the call from the BB commiting half of her stack should be seen as a weak or strong play. At the time I didnt put that into consideration even though I knew that my gf would either stab any pot or take it check check all the way.

Another thing that I didnt mention is that we play heads up with my gf 3-4 times a week so there was a lot of "I know that she knows that I know" kind of thinking going on bettween us. Maybe that was also a small reason that induced me into calling.
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Your open raise size is huge. No reason to go over 2.5bb really. Now you just say to both blinds: "I am not folding" and they need to have strong hands to do anything. With AK you want them to think they have fold equity if they shove.

Basically if BB is competent player I would put him more likely to KK+ range when he or she just flat to induce us into the pot. SB shove is counted as normal 3bet so shoving would be normal line if you dont have very sure reads on BB flatting play. No way to fold AK in flop. If someone says that you cannot shove anymore then its good timing for him to study poker rules bit more :)
    • elchipriota
      elchipriota
      Bronze
      Thank you ghaleon.
    • herekPL
      herekPL
      Bronze
      Originally posted by zilltine
      min raise from 4.1k would be 8.2k in most live games. That leaves OP without choice to jam. He should have thought about it and raise to 4k tho imo
      min raise (click raise) would be 7,1k :) b/c op raise 3k more making total 4,1k