How to crush nl5 video blog w/ ilovemagic

• ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      Hello, my name is Andrew, I am a regular here at pokerstrategy, a poker enthusiast, and a soon to be "vlog'er"!! Yeah, thats right, you all get to see how I think in real time, and not have to shorten sentences because I don't feel like writing them. I'm going to call it "The Micro Stakes Insider w/ ilovemagic". It is now called "How to crush NL5 vlog"

I'm a little short on cash atm, but no problemo for me. I can still play microstakes, home games, and "vlog"..haha love that word. Anyways, I'm currently working on finding a solution with the camera setup on my laptop. The sound just seems a little off atm, and I am working to fix that currently. I have a very busy life, but have played well over 350k hands at the microstakes. I feel I qualify to offer some of the best advice I've been given, as well as tips/reminders for beginners, or anyone looking for another fresh perspective on the game. I feel mine is pretty interesting to say the least.

For now I am not going to be offering any advice on tilt management, as that is one of my biggest foes in poker, and in life. Everything else I have learned I follow quite well, and can preach effectively, but I'll leave that up to anyone else to decide. I still need to work on proper focus management at times, as well, which can lead quite easily to tilt for myself, I'm sure many others. These are just a couple of things I plan on talking about in the future, as well as working hard to fix them now, so I can start winning. I think many players will be able to relate to my outlook on the game from this website, as my play style doesn't really vary from the basic BSS NL strategy offered here at PS. Especially at the lower limits, although when I'm on my A game, my hand and board reading skills are a couple of my best attributes, and some of the most finely attuned. Game theory is something I like to talk about with anyone, at any time. I'm always looking to get a fresh perspective and offer my own thoughts to any poker conversation.

I'm planning 1 vlog per week as of now, and I have begun my BR from $10, and will work it up as much as I can in the coming years, and hopefully gain a following in the process. Also to try to show myself anything is possible when you set your mind to it, and follow advice given from the pros. I'm hoping the vlog will hold me accountable and I will practice BRM/ Tilt management as much as possible so I don't lose my opportunity to connect with the poker community. Contribution off the tables is key to anyone's success in poker. Anyone will tell you that.

I hope @roopopper, @tomaloc are still in my corner and anyone else I forgot please just say my name and I will be back reading your blog again!

I look forward to playing online again. It took me a while to get my head screwed on straight and realize I'd rather play then not play so I'd better stick to what I know and stop doing things the "Andrew" way when it comes to tilt management and BRM. I also look forward to vlogging, and hope everyone else will be just as excited as I during the upcoming days!!

Peace. ;)
  • 15 replies
    • bogstratos
      bogstratos
      Bronze
      Hello mate, nice to see you again! I followed your previous blogs even tho I didn't think I posted in them, and I hope this time tilt will not fk you up again. You should really focus on improving that!

I never liked vlogging myself, but it looks interesting, as nobody seems to do that here, so I'm looking forward to your first one :) .

I just started playing through the micros again myself, if you want you can check out my blog. Also, you can accept my friend request and we can talk on Skype or sth :D .

Good luck with your new blog!
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      Hello pokerstrategists worldwide. First, I have a heavy heart for those victims involved in the shootings at Sandy Hook school in Newtown, Conn. I just feel absolutely dreadful for the families and chills run down my spine even considering how I might feel if I had been victimized by one of these types if crimes. Our hearts go out to all of you through this time that is supposed to be filled with jingle bells and holiday cheer.

On a lighter note...check out my first edition of the Micro Stakes Insider, a free service I will be providing here at PS (...admittedly probably for good reason at this point!! :f_biggrin: :) until further notice. It's aim is to educate (even myself) and make people think more when they sit down to play poker. It will have many valuable tips I have picked up in my journey, and I have faith that many can benefit from the teachings here at PS.

I am "over the moon" excited that the vlog is finally ready for take off and I hope all of you will crave these videos just as I crave making them, soon enough.

Veriz, Bierbaer, Hasenbratten, and any coaches I'm forgetting thank you for teaching me how to win, and to always be thinking. I feel confident enough to cruise through the micros with all of my experience now. I will make you all proud. (even if you dont remember me lol) ...

My Br starts off at $25 , and I stress this to everyone:
      NOT RECCOMMENDED for beginners or broke people. My plan of BRM is going to go like this:
      NL2 - 5 BI to play, 2-4 tables max
      NL5 - 5 BI to play, 2-4 tables to start
      NL10 - 7 BI to play, 2 tables to start
      NL16 - 10 BI to start, 2 tables to start
      NL25 - 25 BI to start, 1 table to start
      NL50 - 25 BI to start, 1 table to start
      then we are out of the micros!

If you don't like my BRM strategy there is a great one, that works very well and has been tested and true at the beginning of the article No limit BSS

Reasoning: I want to see if I can avoid the minimal variance I foresee at NL2, 5, 10, and 16. I will just reload...eventually, if ever I should felt.

The tables need to be identified better, and the screen reso needs to be better. i will try tweaking that this week while im off. Does anyone have experience with video editing programs such as virtual dub, the one I'm using?

Anyways without further ado, I apologize in advance the videos can only get better from here and this is my first time ever doing one so please bear with me!!!!!!!! Avail in 1080p!! (best quality)

And here's something to listen to while you play...dont worry, its over an hour long so u wont be distracted changing songs!!

wow, really went on a nice little heater tonight! BR$50!
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by ilovemagic
      Anyways, I'm currently working on finding a solution with the camera setup on my laptop. The sound just seems a little off atm, and I am working to fix that currently.

Noise-cancelling mic ftw!

For now I am not going to be offering any advice on tilt management, as that is one of my biggest foes in poker, and in life.

Have you read :
      The quick guide to skyrocketing your poker and life productivity - COMPLETED!
      and
      +++Q&A with Jared Tendler!!+++
      There is a lot of great material in there on managing your mindset.

I am currently working my way through The Mental Game of Poker by Jared Tendler -- The same guy that answers all the Qs in the 2nd link.

I look forward to playing online again. It took me a while to get my head screwed on straight and realize I'd rather play then not play so I'd better stick to what I know and stop doing things the "Andrew" way when it comes to tilt management and BRM. I also look forward to vlogging, and hope everyone else will be just as excited as I during the upcoming days!!

Peace. ;)

What a great concept!
      I look forward to more material!

Just remember to keep some time to relax and enjoy yourself!
      --VS
    • SneakyhanD
      SneakyhanD
      Bronze
      Nice to see you're blogging :) been a while since I saw your nickname :)

-btw, cool thing you like AceVentura , he's a wizard ! isn't he ?
      also, he's Israeli, we have many good artists in israel :)
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      bogstratos - if your still around, i will deffo chk out ur blog!

Yes, tilt management is the area I need to work on more then anything. I want to work on it now as well, which should help immensely. I still need a stop loss limit, especially working with such a low BI amt. I'm hoping with the new video content I'm publishing every now and then to help me stay on track with my thinking and possibly improve my mindset as well. I have not stuck to PS's BRM strategy at all really, in the past. It's deffo up for discussion lol.

I think a lot of it had to do with the fact I had untreated ADHD for so long, and along with that comes impulse control and compulsion problems. I am now being treated for it again, and the results have been better then expected so far, but damn the medication is expensive. So far have not even come close to tilting so hopefully that continues. I have a greater amount of focus as well now, and am so self aware that even the slightest bit of tiredness or mental fatigue I can feel coming the second it hits me. Before I wouldn't acknowledge it until too late... :O The long break from the game was nice too. Gave me some time to think about things, put things into better perspective.

VorpalF2F- why noice cancelling mic? What do you like about jared tendler? ive seen him before online, not too much though. I found him quite boring, and I need a bit of energy coming from whoever is trying to teach me something most of the time !! But maybe your exp. is diff with him? I also glanced over at the ways to "become more productive" but was quickly turned off of it because of its length. In what ways have you become more productive since reading that?

SneakyHand, yea there are some great tracks on that album surprisingly, because I had never heard it before, and the beginning of it was terrible, but once it gets going its really relaxing. Israel? cool :) Wizard?!? how so?

Did anyone like my video lol!? :f_p:
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      VorpalF2F- why noice cancelling mic?

Noise cancelling mic means that background noise doesn't make it into the video. Very clear and clean sound

What do you like about jared tendler? ive seen him before online, not too much though. I found him quite boring, and I need a bit of energy coming from whoever is trying to teach me something most of the time !! But maybe your exp. is diff with him?

I've never seen him in video, so boring or energy means little to me. His book is very useful in that it provides a process by which you slowly gain control over your mindset. I'm working through that process now, and I've seen positive results.
      The problem is I can't tell if I'm running good because my mindset has improved, or my mindset has improved because I'm running good.

I also glanced over at the ways to "become more productive" but was quickly turned off of it because of its length. In what ways have you become more productive since reading that?
      I did not become the slightest bit more productive after reading it.

I went through the various points, and some I was already doing.
      Others I thought would work for me, and I've been doing several -- mostly organizational thing. Small stuff that frees up my time.
      Still others just don't fit with how my life situation is at present.

Yes it is long, but you don't have to do everything all at once. Cherry pick the easy ones.

• ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      Originally posted by VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F- why noice cancelling mic?

Noise cancelling mic means that background noise doesn't make it into the video. Very clear and clean sound

ahhhhhhh, that would help the viewcount eh?!..and the ears! :D

What do you like about jared tendler? ive seen him before online, not too much though. I found him quite boring, and I need a bit of energy coming from whoever is trying to teach me something most of the time !! But maybe your exp. is diff with him?

I've never seen him in video, so boring or energy means little to me. His book is very useful in that it provides a process by which you slowly gain control over your mindset. I'm working through that process now, and I've seen positive results.
      The problem is I can't tell if I'm running good because my mindset has improved, or my mindset has improved because I'm running good.

This , I'm sure, is probably one of the best problems a poker player can face in their journey, hehe. :s_pleased:

I also glanced over at the ways to "become more productive" but was quickly turned off of it because of its length. In what ways have you become more productive since reading that?
      I did not become the slightest bit more productive after reading it.

:D :D :D :D :D haha at least ur honest!

I went through the various points, and some I was already doing.
      Others I thought would work for me, and I've been doing several -- mostly organizational thing. Small stuff that frees up my time.

TIME IS MONEY SIR :D
      Still others just don't fit with how my life situation is at present.

Yes it is long, but you don't have to do everything all at once. Cherry pick the easy ones.

That's great advice. Now I dont feel like I have to read it from beginning to end to get the point of it!! I'll check that out for sure.
    • hendo2000
      hendo2000
      Bronze
      Hey, nice video, I think by saying your thought processes out loud and where they can be seen by others is a really great idea, it forces you to actually think rather than go into autopilot mode and you can see your own leaks more easily imo.

BR management is a bit dangerous but you seem confident and solid so fingers crossed that you go onwards and upwards. Subbed :)
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      Originally posted by hendo2000
      Hey, nice video, I think by saying your thought processes out loud and where they can be seen by others is a really great idea, it forces you to actually think rather than go into autopilot mode and you can see your own leaks more easily imo.

BR management is a bit dangerous but you seem confident and solid so fingers crossed that you go onwards and upwards. Subbed :)

You are absolutely right about the BRM. I am reevaluating it after the unexpected heater. I would much rather play then not play, and I even have great fun at NL5, which helps me play my A game. I think I will take at least a 2 BI shot at NL10 once I have $70, because I do have experience there and feel comfortable there as well, but if I lose 2 BI, I dont mind moving back down to NL5 and starting with 10BI because that doubles my initial starting point anyways, which was $25.
      Once I make enough to take my initially planned NL16 shot, I will heavily consider having a full 15BI before moving to that limit, which is one I have little experience with from NL16 and up.

Also right about feeling confident and solid. I believe players who learn, and correspond with others at PS have a fantastic edge on the competition. I feel I have to share my experience with the newer generation of poker players as a way of not only giving back to the community what was so freely given to me, but at the same time like you said, I get to think my way thru each situation, no matter how big or small. I wish I could've shown the first video, because it had more losing hands in it, ones where I normally would've tilted, either that day, or a couple days later like before. I ended up just brushing it off within moments. It just comes from working on that area of my mind, and taking some time off from the game to figure out what was important to me.

Some might disagree with giving out my screen name and such. I really have no issue with giving out my screen name, because the player pool at stars is endless, and the good players will figure me out soon enough anyways ;)

I'm hoping this blog will keep me away from the poker tables whenever I'm not in the right mindset. That is another intention of this blog.

Do you keep a blog sir?
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      Hey pokerstrategy! Here is some bonus content made during some quiet time today!

Watch in HD!!

-table dynamics
      -getting a read of the situation
      -betting
      -playing AA and AK

ENJOY!!!
    • SherlockHolmes2ez
      SherlockHolmes2ez
      Bronze
      Nice Blog
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      bump? allowed?
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      bump
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      I admire your play on the AK hand.

The biggest challenge to TAGs is when to back off the aggression.

On the AA hand, though, I can't see that he doesn't have pocket 6s, 4s or Js.
      In his case, it could possibly be that he thought he was ahead.

Almost everyone with initiative would CBet as you did, and I find that a lot of players now will try to 3Bet at least once w/ a hand that has some showdown value, since you too may have missed the flop.

He was technically right, but you had a made hand without it.
    • ilovemagic
      ilovemagic
      Bronze
      Yeah, exactly as u said, the only thing i'll add in is he DEFFO thought he was ahead the whole hand on the AA hand. Also shows us how a player can easily overcommit his stack on a seemingly not dangerous flop if you make it look like you're just trying to push them off the hand like in the AA hand. He most likely thought I was sitting on AK again. It is a reminder of me to really try to be sure of my reads, and if I think I can make loose all ins only having ~100 hands on someone who really isnt playing that bad, think again. I am constantly learning to think about as much pertinent information, objective and subjective, as I can as I make my decisions at the table. It also reminds me to play more conservative against a generally unknown player until I get a sure read on them. Even NL5 has some thinking regs who can be bluffed off their TPTK from time to time. You can even profit off them. Ive won some big pots off of people I originally thought to be playing a solid strategic game, only to have them slip up and expose their leaks.