$0.12/$0.25 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players

UTG: $24.56 (98.2 bb)
      Hero (MP): $26.83 (107.3 bb)
      CO: $24.88 (99.5 bb)
      BTN: $27.16 (108.6 bb)
      SB: $34.47 (137.9 bb)
      BB: $24.12 (96.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 7 7
      UTG calls $0.25, Hero raises to $1.12, CO calls $1.12, 2 folds, BB calls $0.87, UTG calls $0.87

Flop: ($4.60) 5 6 3 (4 players)
      BB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets $2.75, CO calls $2.75, 2 folds

Turn: ($10.10) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

River: ($10.10) 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, CO checks

Hey,
      UTG is fish, CO is new reg and I dont have a many hands on him, no info on BB.
  • 3 replies
    • Keyser1
      Keyser1
      Bronze
      Hi Danny,
      These multiway pots with marginal overpairs are always very difficult. What was your plan on the turn after checking if the CO bets? Were you check-calling the turn and check-folding the river? Or just folding the turn?

In these close spots with marginal hands I think just betting is probably going to be the best line. I know betting the turn feels too thin, and it kinda is. But there are still a number of draws in villain's range that we can bet against for protection and possibly value (any club draw, 87, 89, plus some 6x hands). I'm definitely not thrilled about the situation when I bet this turn but I think it's likely to be more profitable than checking and guessing.

I'm hesitant to tell you to "just bet when your hand is sorta strong and you're not sure how to proceed after checking" because I think it's a lazy way of looking at the situation, but I must say there are some times where the easy line is also the most profitable line.
    • DannyJQ
      DannyJQ
      Bronze
      Hey Keyser,

thank you for the detailed response and sorry i didn't put more info about my actions.

Yes, I was check/calling the turn and check/folding the river.

I also see your point about keeping the initiative and I also noticed this is beocming a problem in my game lately so I will definitely work on that and bet more in thin spots rather than checking and guessing after that.

If i bet the turn and he calls then the same river comes what should be my line? :rolleyes:

Regards,
      DannyJQ
    • Keyser1
      Keyser1
      Bronze
      Originally posted by DannyJQ
      Hey Keyser,

thank you for the detailed response and sorry i didn't put more info about my actions.

Yes, I was check/calling the turn and check/folding the river.
      No worries. I assumed you were check-calling the turn but I wanted to make sure.

I also see your point about keeping the initiative and I also noticed this is beocming a problem in my game lately so I will definitely work on that and bet more in thin spots rather than checking and guessing after that.
      Yep, it's common for people to freeze up in these close spots and err toward the passive or cautious line. Regardless of whether betting or checking is best in this spot (it's very close) I do think erring toward the aggressive line is generally a better idea. Just be sure not to overdo it: you shouldn't always bet twice with every weak pair. It's just that as a general approach to this game, I'd recommend defaulting to an aggressive line rather than defaulting to a passive line.

If i bet the turn and he calls then the same river comes what should be my line? :rolleyes:
      I think you should check/fold against a regular. The multiway action of the flop is important. When he calls with two people left he's never floating with a very weak hand. Your range for cbetting into 3 other players on a wet board is strong. He's going to have 77+, 6x, draws. When the board pairs on the turn and you bet I don't expect him to call with draws, so his river range is likely to be strong. I'd be a little suspicious on this particular river card that puts a 4-straight on the board if he bets because it should narrow his value betting range, but I wouldn't be suspicious enough to call given the strength of his range.

In a heads-up to the flop situation or against a fish I would be more inclined to bet the turn and check-call a blank river. Here, I think missed draws are a small portion of villain's range and there are no worse hands he'd bet for value, so I'd just check and fold.