[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL25 KTo

• dannywratten
      dannywratten
      Gold
      CO 27/18/23 hands

Kind of a loose 3b by me, probably not standard but I like to 3b a lot vs unknowns until I know how they react.

Didn't really like c/c or c/r flop seeing as he can check back a lot of mid card hands with decent equity & playing the turn would be difficult. When he raises I think there are a lot of draws in his range & only a few value hands so I wasn't planning on folding.

OK line, or spewy?

CO: $25 (100 bb)
      BTN: $41.71 (166.8 bb)
      SB: $25.35 (101.4 bb)
      Hero (BB): $29.08 (116.3 bb)
      UTG: $20.93 (83.7 bb)
      MP: $54.17 (216.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K T
      2 folds, CO raises to $0.75, 2 folds, Hero raises to $2.50, CO calls $1.75

Flop: ($5.10) T 3 6 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.50, CO raises to $6.75, Hero raises to $26.58 and is all-in, CO calls $15.75 and is all-in

Turn: ($50.10) 3 (2 players, 2 are all-in)
      River: ($50.10) 8 (2 players, 2 are all-in)

Results:
      $50.10 pot ($2.50 rake)
      Final Board: T 3 6 3 8
      CO showed 9 8 and lost (-$25 net)
      Hero showed K T and won $47.60 ($22.60 net)
  • 1 reply
    • Keyser1
      Keyser1
      Bronze
      Hi danny,
      Yep, your 3bet is a little loose and it's not standard, but I think your reason for 3betting is valid. You say you like to 3bet against unknowns so you can figure out how they react. That's a reasonable strategy. If villain continues to roll over facing your 3bets then you can keep pounding on him. If he plays back, you can tighten up your range and capitalize on your aggressive image.

That said, I think against a CO or early opener, I'd probably choose a different hand to 3bet. KTo just has such poor postflop playability and reverse implied odds. If this 27/18 villain were opening on the button then 3betting KTo would be more justifiable. Your hand would be a bit too weak to call but a bit too strong to fold. A button opener is more likely to fold preflop because people open far more hands on the button than on the CO, which means you're less likely to get involved in a postflop situation with your hand that has reverse implied odds. Against the CO, I think you're going to be bad spots postflop so often that the 3bet will become -EV.

I know some good players who 3bet these types of hands frequently, so I'm not saying it's a strategy that's without merit. For me personally, I've never had good results doing so, so I tend to stick to a more polarized range

After you 3bet this hand and flop top pair I think your shove is standard and I would probably play it the same way, but you could consider an alternative line of just calling his flop raise and folding if he bets turn. It's a line I use very infrequently but I think this is an okay time for it. He's likely to give up with his bluffs because it looks like you're not folding. If he is bluffing, he's also likely to continue his bluff on a king or ten.