[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL25 K2s

• dannywratten
      BB is 20/16/2.5/7.7/21/700 hands

villain seems like a decent reg, just wondering what line you guys prefer in such a spot, bet/bet/check or bet/check/call as played.

Didn't think I could ever get 3 streets from this villain, & my line looks a lot like I'm betting once then giving up on the blank turn.
      I'm cbetting pretty much my whole range on this flop so I would assume he is calling fairly wide. So by betting turn I think he folds most of the time & I only get one street of value.

Not a line I use all that often so wondering what you think.
      I would probably prefer value betting turn if I had a hand like KJ+ or a heart fell OTT giving me more equity.

Maybe another decent line would be to check back flop then go for two streets from there?

SB: $29.55 (118.2 bb)
      BB: $38.40 (153.6 bb)
      UTG: $29.02 (116.1 bb)
      MP: $35.25 (141 bb)
      CO: $42.86 (171.4 bb)
      Hero (BTN): $25 (100 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with K 2
      3 folds, Hero raises to $0.50, SB folds, BB calls $0.25

Flop: ($1.10) K 3 T (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero bets $0.77, BB calls $0.77

Turn: ($2.64) 4 (2 players)
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($2.64) 8 (2 players)
      BB bets $1.58, Hero calls $1.58

$5.80 pot ($0.29 rake)
      Final Board: K 3 T 4 8
      BB showed 5 5 and lost (-$2.85 net)
      Hero showed K 2 and won $5.51 ($2.66 net)
  • 2 replies
    • Keyser1
      Hi danny,

Without any reads I generally prefer bet/bet/check in this situation, but I think bet/check/call is certainly reasonable too when you have top pair with the worst kicker. I slightly prefer bet/bet/check because I think on average most opponents tend to make mistakes by calling bets too often rather than by betting too often.

In this situation I would encourage you to check out a stat called "bet river." Players who are likely to make these nonsensical bets with hands like 55 will usually have very high bet rivers. It's a tough stat to use correctly because you have to understand how villain's play style will affect his river betting. For example, if a super nit 12/10 player who folds to 70% of cbets has a bet river of 60%, it doesn't mean he bluffs the river a lot; it just means he only gets to the river with strong hands. A normal bet river stat is around 30. Below 30 people tend to bluff infrequently. Above 30 they tend to bluff more often.

So, when a player has a high bet river (don't forget to take into account the range a particular player will get to the river with) it could be correct to check this turn and call the river. When he has a low bet river and maybe a high WTSD or a low fold to turn cbet, then I'd recommend betting this turn.

To answer your question about whether or not to cbet: if you think villain expects you to cbet your entire range on this flop then I think it mandates that you do bet when you have top pair. If you check back on this decent cbetting board then it looks like you have SD value, which might discourage action.

FWIW, this is a good board to cbet when you minopen the button and expand villain's defense range; it's a less good board to cbet when you open for a larger sizing because boards with two broadway cards interact closely with most defense ranges that include big cards.
    • dannywratten
      Hey, thanks a lot :)
      Really cleared up what i was wondering.