This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] 88 oop

• legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

UTG: $2.84 (28.4 bb)
      CO: $12.81 (128.1 bb)
      BTN: $10 (100 bb)
      Hero (BB): $11.75 (117.5 bb)
      MP: $15.14 (151.4 bb)
      SB: $10.25 (102.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8 8
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.25, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.80, BTN calls $0.55

Flop: ($1.65) 7 2 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.20, BTN calls $1.20

Turn: ($4.05) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.70, Hero calls $1.70

River: ($7.45) 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $4, Hero folds

Results:
      $7.45 pot ($0.37 rake)
      Final Board: 7 2 2 3 9
      BTN mucked and won $7.08 ($3.38 net)
      Hero mucked 8 8 and lost (-$3.70 net)

Vs unknown. How should i have played this hand? I put unknown on quite a tight range.
      Is the contibet mandatory? I imagine i want to protect my hand against overcards.

was the check/call a mistake on the turn?

was the check/fold a mistake on the river? It's quite a big bet and I don't see myself ahead enough to make the call profitable
  • 7 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Interesting spot.

Against unknown I do prefer calling preflop and playing postflop. The hand plays quite easy.

So betting the flop is good - there are worse hands that could call us, also we will be happy if QJ for instance folds.
      I'd make it around $0.9-$1 though.

If you decide to c/c the turn then I think you have to c/c the river. Otherwise you just donate him 18bb.
      Also a good option for the turn might be a bet, because you don't get in those c/c spots, and you don't have to make it big - sth like his bet will do the job.

Best,
      Plamen
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      If i were to barrell the turn, what would be my plan on this river? check/call? or check/fold?

I did realise that when i c/c the turn that it seems like a stupid play to then c/f this river cause it is relatively blank but i don't think i'm ahead of much of his range.

What would you suggest was a reasonable range for an unknown villain to have in this spot?
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello again,

If you bet the turn again I think you should check/fold the river since they rarely float on two streets.

As played his range could be quite wide in my opinion since I expect him to call this flop with a lot of floats (basically most overcards that have backdoor FD) so I'd give it a try with something like this - TT-66,AQs-ATs,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,87s (in order not to write the colours - just assume that "s" is hearts/diamonds/clubs) and also we could give him some of the offsuit hands like AQ/KQ/AJ.

It's really hard considering he is unknown but I think this might be close.
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      yeah that makes sense now that i consider what i would do in that situation. Just another quick question... Earlier you said that you would call preflop and that this hand plays quite easy. What did you mean by that ?
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Well what I meant by "the hand plays easy" is that:
      We already have a made hand, we can check/call on a lot of boards, also villain won't cbet all the time. We keep the pot smaller which is cool since we are OOP. If we hit our 8 we most probably have the best hand also.

I think 3betting is rather bad, because we play in a bigger pot OOP where his range is relatively stronger and we can't really bet/bet/bet unless we have a set or something.

I'm not quite sure I explained this well so if you have any further questions or you misunderstood something feel free to ask.

Best,
      Plamen
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      I'm not that comfortable just calling 88 before the flop because i see myself ahead of his range (it seems too strong a hand to just call). Like against my own Btn opening range i'm a 60/40 favourite. It would feel like i was wasting that equity because most flops i wouldn't feel comfortable on.

Any broadway card on the flop, and i'm check/calling but not feeling great about it. And the turn won't be that much easier. It's like i only hope to get to the showdown for cheap but i don't see that happening all too often
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      88 is better being played in single raised pots (set potential) or for preflop allins. It is not so good in 3bet pots (poor playability)