[NL2-NL10] 88 oop

• legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      Party, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

UTG: $2.84 (28.4 bb)
      CO: $12.81 (128.1 bb)
      BTN: $10 (100 bb)
      Hero (BB): $11.75 (117.5 bb)
      MP: $15.14 (151.4 bb)
      SB: $10.25 (102.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8 8
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.25, SB folds, Hero raises to $0.80, BTN calls $0.55

Flop: ($1.65) 7 2 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $1.20, BTN calls $1.20

Turn: ($4.05) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $1.70, Hero calls $1.70

River: ($7.45) 9 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $4, Hero folds

Results:
      $7.45 pot ($0.37 rake)
      Final Board: 7 2 2 3 9
      BTN mucked and won $7.08 ($3.38 net)
      Hero mucked 8 8 and lost (-$3.70 net)

Vs unknown. How should i have played this hand? I put unknown on quite a tight range.
      Is the contibet mandatory? I imagine i want to protect my hand against overcards.

was the check/call a mistake on the turn?

was the check/fold a mistake on the river? It's quite a big bet and I don't see myself ahead enough to make the call profitable
  • 7 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Interesting spot.

Against unknown I do prefer calling preflop and playing postflop. The hand plays quite easy.

So betting the flop is good - there are worse hands that could call us, also we will be happy if QJ for instance folds.
      I'd make it around $0.9-$1 though.

If you decide to c/c the turn then I think you have to c/c the river. Otherwise you just donate him 18bb.
      Also a good option for the turn might be a bet, because you don't get in those c/c spots, and you don't have to make it big - sth like his bet will do the job.

Best,
      Plamen
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      If i were to barrell the turn, what would be my plan on this river? check/call? or check/fold?

I did realise that when i c/c the turn that it seems like a stupid play to then c/f this river cause it is relatively blank but i don't think i'm ahead of much of his range.

What would you suggest was a reasonable range for an unknown villain to have in this spot?
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello again,

If you bet the turn again I think you should check/fold the river since they rarely float on two streets.

As played his range could be quite wide in my opinion since I expect him to call this flop with a lot of floats (basically most overcards that have backdoor FD) so I'd give it a try with something like this - TT-66,AQs-ATs,KTs+,QTs+,JTs,87s (in order not to write the colours - just assume that "s" is hearts/diamonds/clubs) and also we could give him some of the offsuit hands like AQ/KQ/AJ.

It's really hard considering he is unknown but I think this might be close.
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      yeah that makes sense now that i consider what i would do in that situation. Just another quick question... Earlier you said that you would call preflop and that this hand plays quite easy. What did you mean by that ?
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Well what I meant by "the hand plays easy" is that:
      We already have a made hand, we can check/call on a lot of boards, also villain won't cbet all the time. We keep the pot smaller which is cool since we are OOP. If we hit our 8 we most probably have the best hand also.

I think 3betting is rather bad, because we play in a bigger pot OOP where his range is relatively stronger and we can't really bet/bet/bet unless we have a set or something.

I'm not quite sure I explained this well so if you have any further questions or you misunderstood something feel free to ask.

Best,
      Plamen
    • legand73
      legand73
      Bronze
      I'm not that comfortable just calling 88 before the flop because i see myself ahead of his range (it seems too strong a hand to just call). Like against my own Btn opening range i'm a 60/40 favourite. It would feel like i was wasting that equity because most flops i wouldn't feel comfortable on.

Any broadway card on the flop, and i'm check/calling but not feeling great about it. And the turn won't be that much easier. It's like i only hope to get to the showdown for cheap but i don't see that happening all too often
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      88 is better being played in single raised pots (set potential) or for preflop allins. It is not so good in 3bet pots (poor playability)