BTN: $16.11
      Hero (SB): $20.92
      BB: $12.99

Villain is a fish - 68/17/2.8/28 over 29 hands

Hero posts SB $0.10, BB posts BB $0.20

Pre Flop: ($0.30) Hero has T:club: T:heart:

BTN calls $0.20, Hero raises to $0.90, BB calls $0.70, fold

Flop: ($2.00, 2 players) 5:club: 5:diamond: 7:spade:
      Hero bets $1.50, BB raises to $3.00, Hero raises to $4.50, BB raises to $6.00, Hero raises to $13.00, fold

Please ignore the flop min3bet I wanted to shove. It was a missclick.
  • 3 replies
    • Keyser1
      Keyser1
      Bronze
      Hi prevolsek,

You played this hand well, even with the flop 3bet misclick. A 68/17 who limped called the button is too erratic to ever consider folding your hand, so you just need to decide how you want to get the money in. Here are your options as I see them:

1) Shoving. It's okay, but not my first choice. The problem with shoving is that you force villain to have something to call you with. This player seems so erratic that he won't necessarily have that something. Even if he's terrible he can't call a shove with jack high.

2) Clicking it back. Also fine. It allows villain to call with whatever random overcards or backdoor draws or ace highs. It also allows villain to spaz, as he did in this hand.

3) Calling and checking the turn. I think this is reasonable if you think that villain is likely to bluff on the turn after you check. The downside is that some villains will just check back the turn and get two free shots to improve against your fairly vulnerable hand while not putting any money in the pot when you're ahead.

4) Calling and donking very small on the turn. This is a line I use on occasion against weak players that I've had good results with. I find that there's a special breed of fish who like to make this minraises wide but won't make big bluffs on later streets. However, they often can't resist shoving over the turn donk with their air. I'd probably recommend this line more if you had AA in this hand so there's less potential to be outdrawn.

All of the above choices are reasonable in this spot. Which one is best just depends on your best read of this villain.
    • pleno1
      pleno1
      Coach
      Coach
      That is a fantastic post
    • prevolsek
      prevolsek
      Silver
      :f_thumbsup: