[NL20-NL50] call?

• daisuke3823
      Hand converted with online PokerStrategy.com hand converter:

$0.1/$0.25 No-Limit Hold'em (6 handed)

Known players:
      CO (Hero):

Preflop: Hero is CO with T, J.
      2 folds, Hero raises to $0.62, 2 folds, BB calls $0.37.

Flop: ($1.34) 8, 6, Q (2 players)
      BB bets $1.00, Hero calls $1.00.

Turn: ($3.34) 2 (2 players)
      BB bets $1.00, Hero folds, BB gets uncalled bet back.

Final Pot: $3.34.

he is unknown,
      until when can I call to his donks with my gutshot?
      I thought of bluff raising on the turn but he is unknown so I didnt do it.
      how should I play this hand?
  • 3 replies
    • mbml
      You have 4 outs right? Which is about 9% equity.
      You are being offered 1/5.34 = 18.7%. I think you may have a little bit of implied odds if you hit your draw (and you are drawing to the nuts), you could cooler 75s and 7Ts with your nut straight. Of course he may not always have these hands but he could if he's loose passive.

You should also evaluate your other option which is to raise. I don't think he's very strong here so I might just raise Turn and bomb the River as well.

Vs an unknown I slightly prefer calling. But if you have small sample telling you that he's a random weak fish who has low WTSD then I prefer bluffing.
    • Farmarchist
      Is just folding the flop a good option?
    • BogdanPS
      Considering that we only have J high I would much more prefer to raise rather than call.

Fishy villains like to donk weak pairs (along with Qx hands) here and they can fold that to a raise. Since he is unknown by raising we may also get some information.

1) Does he donk/raise?
      2) Does he donk/call and then check or donk again?
      3) Does he donk/fold?

If it's 1 or 3 nothing else happens, we make a mental note and move on.

If it's 2 then we can even take a free card for our gutshot if we don't want to continue bluffing into unknown (especially on a blank turn).

Farmarchist, folding the flop is an option however it's one of our worst because we learn nothing from the opponent and I can see both calling and raising as more viable options (not just for info but for winning money).