[NL2-NL10] [FR] NL2 AQo(2) 22-11-12

• Resilence
      IPoker, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 9 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (CO): $2 (100 bb)
      BTN: $1.99 (99.5 bb)
      SB: $3.49 (174.5 bb)
      BB: $2.03 (101.5 bb)
      UTG+1: $1.67 (83.5 bb)
      UTG+2: $1.02 (51 bb)
      MP1: $1.02 (51 bb)
      MP2: $2.90 (145 bb)
      MP3: $2.12 (106 bb)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A Q
      UTG+1 raises to $0.07, 4 folds, Hero raises to $0.26, 3 folds, UTG+1 calls $0.19

Flop: ($0.55) 3 8 Q (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $0.44, UTG+1 calls $0.44

Turn: ($1.43) 2 (2 players)
      UTG+1 checks, Hero bets $0.98, UTG+1 calls $0.97 and is all-in

River: ($3.37) 2 (2 players, 1 is all-in)

Made a 3bet to figure out what type of player he was + it was to good to lay down, don't like calling with AQ, as you usuall don't know where you stand if you hit.

Not sure that I can give up on turn, he could be calling me with a draw, the pot was rather large at this point, and thought I'd give it a shove...

• 3 replies
    • mbml
      You should really review the reasons for betting/raising.
      1) Bet for value from worse hands
      2) Bet to bluff out stronger

Your reasoning to "raise and see where you are at" is a typical mistake from beginners. Instead, you should call, and keep his worse hands in, because raising isolates yourself against hands that beat you.

With that said, I think raising may be a decent option for a couple of reasons. Firstly, he is a 83.5bb stack, meaning he is probably a weak passive player. Now you probably need to know how wide his opening range is. But if he opens a lot of hands and doesn't fold to 3bets most of the time (meaning he calls with so many worse hands like AT/AJ/KQ/KJ/QJ/JT), then 3betting for value is surely a good play. And of course we can very easily fold to a 4bet cos a 4bet from microstakes players is usually the nuts.

So we would be 3betting purely because we think we get called by many worse hands, but fold cos we know we are always beat.

In your case, you are unsure of his playstyle, and you are just raising to find out what he had. This doesn't make too much sense cos he could very easily have a really tight opening range and raising just doesn't accomplish anything.

As played if you 3bet AQ and he calls you, assuming he always 4bets QQ+ preflop, you have the virtual nuts (unless he somehow has 88). So this is a very easy bet bet all-in.

*Side note: I think your sizings are a little too large. You can bet smaller on all streets in a 3bet pot cos u can get all the money in by the river anyway.
    • Resilence
      I know I'm betting for value, but the bet also gives me some kind of info on the guy, is he a weak player or a strong player.
      I'm ahead in most cases if he calls me, and it's rather weak play to just call, most PP folds the flop if missed, especially with a high card as A or K, If they continue they usually have a good PP or a K or an A = easy fold.
      I saw a video on this, giving this type of play +EV on an unknown player, (to mark him as reg or fishy, If he lays down his hand I get money, if he calls me with weaker, I win money in the long run, if he reraises me I have the worst hand...) Now I know he will call with worse, and call a shove with FD.
    • mbml
      I must quote you here for inconsistent logic

"Made a 3bet to figure out what type of player he was"

If you want to 3bet AQ for thin value, then you should do so, knowing he calls you with worse. You shouldn't 3bet to find out what type of player he is, because if he's an unknown to you, you should take the more cautious approach of calling.

What if he were the type of player to 4bet bluff a lot? Then your AQ is wasted. What if he never ever calls with worse? If he always folds AJ and KQ then you are wasting your chance at dominating him postflop too.