[NL2-NL10] Floating

• maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Prima, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $8.70 (87 bb)
      BTN: $10.76 (107.6 bb)
      SB: $10.03 (100.3 bb) Anon table, don't have stats now
      Hero (BB): $10 (100 bb)
      UTG: $8.78 (87.8 bb)
      MP: $9.71 (97.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J A
      4 folds, SB raises to $0.35, Hero calls $0.25

I'm still torn between 3betting here or just calling.

Flop: ($0.70) T 5 2 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30

His bet size isn't exuberating a lot of confidence. I got 2 overcards, backdoor flush and straight draw so I decide to float.

Turn: ($1.30) 3 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.30, Hero raises to $1, SB calls $0.70

Turn bet is completely weak. I decide to raise based purely on his bet size and am turning my hand into a bluff now.

River: ($3.30) 8 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2.20, SB folds

I don't think this river could have helped him. If he called turn with a draw he didn't hit. Overcards will be forced to fold, I can even make AQ/AK fold so I bet. If he had a TP kind if hand he would have bet stronger on the turn to protect against draws and if he had a draw he just didn't hit so relying purely on fold equity now.
  • 1 reply
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Preflop: Without stats, this should be a call. As a general rule of thumb, if your hand is not strong enough to 5bet allin, then don't 3bet it in the first place (unless you are 3betting it as a bluff). AJs is clearly not a bluff hand and we don't want to face a 4bet and be forced to fold. There could be exceptions though, for example i usually 3bet this hand in these positions at higher limits. But that's because i 3bet bluff a lot so my opponents react by calling wider and also 4betting wider so I need to widen my value range too.

I don't think that applies to you, so call now.

Flop: Sure, float is good. Ace high might even be the best hand
      Turn + River: Yes good play. I might go even bigger to ensure a fold but your thought process is great.

If he does call, take a note, and avoid pulling off such hero bluffs vs him so often in the future.