This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] Floating

• maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Bronze
      Prima, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

CO: $8.70 (87 bb)
      BTN: $10.76 (107.6 bb)
      SB: $10.03 (100.3 bb) Anon table, don't have stats now
      Hero (BB): $10 (100 bb)
      UTG: $8.78 (87.8 bb)
      MP: $9.71 (97.1 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J A
      4 folds, SB raises to $0.35, Hero calls $0.25

I'm still torn between 3betting here or just calling.

Flop: ($0.70) T 5 2 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.30, Hero calls $0.30

His bet size isn't exuberating a lot of confidence. I got 2 overcards, backdoor flush and straight draw so I decide to float.

Turn: ($1.30) 3 (2 players)
      SB bets $0.30, Hero raises to $1, SB calls $0.70

Turn bet is completely weak. I decide to raise based purely on his bet size and am turning my hand into a bluff now.

River: ($3.30) 8 (2 players)
      SB checks, Hero bets $2.20, SB folds

I don't think this river could have helped him. If he called turn with a draw he didn't hit. Overcards will be forced to fold, I can even make AQ/AK fold so I bet. If he had a TP kind if hand he would have bet stronger on the turn to protect against draws and if he had a draw he just didn't hit so relying purely on fold equity now.
  • 1 reply
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Preflop: Without stats, this should be a call. As a general rule of thumb, if your hand is not strong enough to 5bet allin, then don't 3bet it in the first place (unless you are 3betting it as a bluff). AJs is clearly not a bluff hand and we don't want to face a 4bet and be forced to fold. There could be exceptions though, for example i usually 3bet this hand in these positions at higher limits. But that's because i 3bet bluff a lot so my opponents react by calling wider and also 4betting wider so I need to widen my value range too.

I don't think that applies to you, so call now.

Flop: Sure, float is good. Ace high might even be the best hand
      Turn + River: Yes good play. I might go even bigger to ensure a fold but your thought process is great.

If he does call, take a note, and avoid pulling off such hero bluffs vs him so often in the future.