Pre Flop: (pot: $0.35) Hero has 3:diamond: J:diamond:

fold, fold, Hero raises to $0.50, fold, SB calls $0.40, fold

Flop: ($1.25, 2 players) Q:heart: 6:spade: 4:spade:
      SB checks, Hero bets $0.79, SB calls $0.79

Turn: ($2.83, 2 players) K:spade:
      SB SNAPchecks, Hero SNAPbets $1.79, SB calls $1.79

River: ($6.41, 2 players) 9:club:
      SB SNAPchecks, Hero SNAPbets $4.56, ...

[edit: WTF am i doing opening this from CO? most likely btn was also a nit and i thought that this was pretty enough, sooted with a broadway ftw ofc :f_biggrin: not that it makes this a reasonable open]
      [edit2: title, i thought i was the button :D ]

villain seems quite nitty.

[P] Defended blinds passively {AKs} (1)

^ ...nah, almost definitely nitty.

in retrospect i'm not sure if i like it. nits gonna nit, worst hand he has on river is AQ i think :f_biggrin:
      but i thought that this board development was SO GOOD to barrel :f_biggrin: it actually wasn't that good, but whatever

i wasn't too concerned about what i rep but i just thought the he couldn't take the heat.
      i felt he was weak, thought it's tough for him to have Kx (wrong, he could easily have KQ) and i didn't give him credit for a flush with his line.

i think that he def folds AQ, but not sure how farther he folds.
      i also think i definitely can't bet smaller on the river.
  • 7 replies
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      How does the river card, 9c, change his decision making process from the turn? I can understand barreling the turn, if you think you have some FE (which looks a little optimistic with this guy). But betting the river seems to me not a good idea. I'd probably check/fold the flop verse someone like him. I'd also be opening J2s from CUT unless there was some reason not to.
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      yeah, it's a super obvious open from btn but from co i think it's a bit too thin as the btn should play back often.

the river - doesn't really matter.
      i just don't think that he's always on callturn callriver mode as he could easily peel the turn with his Qx (specially if his pair has a spade), also if i bet big he should be quite discouraged to call the river.

we could 2barrel and stop there to make him fold something like JJ- range. in retrospect i think that this is a better idea than 3barrel, as his callturn range should be quite strong.
      that K is a pretty good turncard as he most often shouldn't hit this K unless it's for a twopair (as he can't have a K high FD)
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      His preflop calling range could be as tight as QQ-77,AJs+,KJs+,AQo+,KQo

So he doesn't really have that much Qx

Say he calls the turn with AQs+,KJs+,AQo+,KQo. You 'may' get him fold his AQo and AQs on the river, but he's not folding the AKo,AKs,KQo,KJs,KQ + a few made flushes. Doesn't look like a good idea trying to fold him off whatever his strong range is.

But really all of this is moot I think. Opening J3s and not check/folding with zero equtiy and little FE against a guy with such a strong range seems like a waste of money to me.
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      1) Pre may be fine given the right dynamics, though J3s is insanely weak (I think it's top 50% and that's super loose for CO opening range).
      2) Flop Cbet: I don't like it. We don't have too much backdoor potential. Just check and delay cbet.
      3) Turn: Well it's a "standard" barrel card. I don't think he has many flushes given his nittiness. I think it's fine, we do it to fold out pairs worse than QX.
      4) River: Hmmmm on one hand it's a decent bluff card cos JT got there too. On the other hand, I think given how nitty he is, we are going to be looking at KQ really often. Could we fold out AQ? I'm not sure. I think he has all combos of AQ cos he's too nitty to 3bet that.

I could go either way. I don't think this is like the best spot ever to bluff, but I don't think it's bad either.

Main thing i dislike about your play is the flop bet cos you have no potential. And if you are always firing away like that I suspect you may be bluffing too much.

ah yes i agree with most of what jules said
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      nice, delay cbet definitely better.

also yeah, i am bluffing too much. :f_biggrin:
      the gameplan is something like, open all buttons, fire any reasonable flop and if i think that the turn is a pretty good scare card i'll most often also fire turn and river. :f_biggrin:

that said, i've been a fullring zoom nit for a way longer than healthy time and i'm also way overrolled for this limit, so i want to see what i can get away with.
      give me a break :D

i was already writing a post so it goes below:

from his perspective, AK will fold the flop sometimes, KJ and worse random hands will fold the flop VERY often.
      that's why i think that he almost never hits this K.

so his range that gets to the turn -> something like QT+, JJ-77, some random flushdraws, A K.
      on the turn JJ-77, maybe QT no spades fold (but unlikely) which i think that is a nice achievement.

when he calls, though, he should have at least J Jx and at most a flush, but i don't give him credit for too many because of his line+timings.
      that said, he definitely should have a pretty strong range by the river and it's usually not a good idea to try to bluff people out of strong ranges. :f_biggrin:
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      yeah good that you realize this.

You know, i used to play like you. 3barreling all the time. I remember someone calling me with AJ 3 streets SB vs my BU. I was like WTF? How could he have done that? My range is uncapped, i have AK AQ all sets all 2 pairs bla bla bla

Then it dawned upon me that I was bluffing too much. So I much prefer a more balanced style these days. You don't have to win every pot you know?
    • Tomaloc
      Tomaloc
      Bronze
      i know, i built my entire roll with a tanking redline :f_biggrin:

of course no damns were given since the green line was good, but i believe that it's good to see the other side of the story.
      after enough time i should be able to incorporate this into a well balanced style and be able to mix it up more often.

hand results -> he timebank-folded. nits gonna herofold also