[NL2-NL10] NL10 SH - AKo vs short stack

• ILuvBeachVB
      ILuvBeachVB
      Bronze
      No Limit Hold'em $0.05/$0.10
      Full Tilt Poker
      6 players
      Formatted by pokercopilot.com - Mac OS X hand history analysis and tracking

Stacks:
      UTG - UTG ($15.67)
      MP - MP ($4.36)
      CO - CO ($16.26)
      BTN - BTN ($4.06)
      SB - SB ($13.84)
      BB - Hero ($10.00)

Preflop: ($0.15, 6 players) Hero is BB with A:heart: K:diamond:
      1 fold, MP calls $0.10, 1 fold, BTN raises to $0.40, 1 fold, Hero raises to $1.30, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.90

Flop: 8:diamond: T:spade: 2:diamond: ($2.75, 2 players)
      Hero bets $2.90, BTN calls $2.76 (all-in), Uncalled bet of $0.14 returned to Hero

Villain: 30/20/0.75/42/66 [vpip/pfr/af/wts/# hands]
  • 5 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Pre: Is there really a need to raise so large? I might raise smaller to $1-$1.20. He's short after all. Do you even have a bluff 3bet range here? We want to be able to bluff 3bet at a cheaper price.

Flop: with a pot size bet left, I think when you shove, all better hands call and all worse hands fold. I prefer to check and let him shove his QJ or KQ himself. We are committed anyway.

I will keep checking and then call a bet at any point in time, unless board runs out nasty like Turn Jack River 9 or something.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      I'd 3 bet the mid stack higher pre flop so that my flop shove is more profitable as I'll need less equity.

Need 33% equity on flop for the shove which should be too bad.

However had you 3bet pre flop to 1.60 then you'd need 29% equity.

Against a non blocking pair hand like QT you have about 26% equity. Against a blocking pair hand like KT you have about 17% equity so shoving should be too bad as you'll obviously have some fold equity to go too if he hasn't hit a pair.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Just saw mbml already posted the complete opposite of what I did just a few mins before me :D . Any thoughts on my logic mbml?
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      @maheepsangari: Let me give you an example to illustrate the flaw in your logic.

You have 72o, and you raise to 99BB, leaving 1BB for yourself. Sure, you are always committed postflop, but is that a good play? Hope that helps you in understanding this.

I would go for a smaller size, cos I would want to be able to bluff 3bet here as well. I don't mind if he calls, and I don't mind if he jams over my 3bet.

If you 3bet to 1.60, you are clearly telling BU that you are committed and you are never folding. So if he was a perceptive player, he would know that you are never bluffing here so he wouldn't 4bet with such a wide range of hands.
    • maheepsangari
      maheepsangari
      Gold
      Ok, understood, thanks.