$23.90
      MP2:
      $97.37
      MP3:
      $32.27
      CO:
      $42.72

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q, Q.
      3 folds, BU raises to $0.50, Hero raises to $1.90, BB folds, BU calls $1.40.

Flop: ($4.05) 2, 9, A (2 players)
      Hero bets $2.00, BU calls $2.00.

Turn: ($8.05) J (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

River: ($8.05) 5 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BU checks.

Final Pot: $8.05.
      Results follow:

Hero shows a pair of queens(Q Q).
      BU shows high card ace(Q T).

Hero wins with a pair of queens(Q Q).

he is unknown, how should I play this hand in this board?
  • 4 replies
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      Vs unknown, I suppose c/f and bet Flop and give up later are both fine.
      We are not doing well vs any sort of decent hand from villain. Even a hand like 8s8h has 40% equity vs our hand.

With KsK or QsQ that would be more interesting. Check/Call now becomes an option, since we can continue on so many cards.

With a hand like AcKc (no spade), we could opt for c/c and go for delayed cbet if he checks back. Kind of a pot control play, since AK off suit is really a medium strength hand on this flop. Bet/folding on the Flop is also fine with AK.
    • TetraQuark
      TetraQuark
      Bronze
      Hi Galvin!

-How do you assert unknowns range in this spot?
      -Can we just assume strong aces, broadways and mid pp?

-If we go by this, why is c/f and bet & giveup later equivalent?

I do agree bet & giveup makes our life easier, and somehow we must protect our hand. But actually we can purely value bet this flop vs very small range (KsX, JJ, TT maybe?).

So combo wise we should be inclined to c/f but there is a chance villain will chase TsX, JsX, QsX also.

This hand confuses me a bit, so thnx for your help!
    • imfromsweden007
      imfromsweden007
      Bronze
      Hi,

I would just check/fold the flop. I assume an unkown range is going to contain a lot of aces (A2s+, AJo+), some PPs, broadways and random SCs. Versus this range we are not doing great and we will have no idea how to continue on further streets. By bet/folding we are just praying that our opponent folds. He might also check back a lot of the hands that we have beat anyway!, so def prefer check/folding!

As played I think trying to check it down and folding to a bet is your best plan on the turn and river.

ifs
    • mbml
      mbml
      Black
      @Gregor:

IFS sums it up pretty much. We definitely cannot go for value. You can just stove your range against a standard 3betcalling range and see how you are faring.

The reason why I argued for a c/f right away is because we lack info. If you think you know a little more about some of his tendencies, maybe just c/c once may be reasonable if he just stabs once and give up. Betting is primarily turning your hand into a bluff, but
      a) There are many worse hands to bluff with
      b) There's really not too much need to protect hands that are weak. If spades fall on future streets, I will fold without hesitation.