This site uses cookies to improve your browsing experience. By continuing to browse the website, you accept such cookies. For more details and to change your settings, see our Cookie Policy and Privacy Policy. Close

[NL2-NL10] NL5 Zoom JJs on BB

• cheekopeh
      cheekopeh
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $5.65 (113 bb)
      SB: $5 (100 bb)
      Hero (BB): $10.99 (219.8 bb)
      UTG: $3.52 (70.4 bb)
      MP: $4.95 (99 bb)
      CO: $8.96 (179.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J J
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.17, SB folds, Hero calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.36) 9 4 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.76) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($0.76) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.45, Hero calls $0.45

Results:
      $1.66 pot ($0.07 rake)
      Final Board: 9 4 2 Q 3
      BTN showed 5 A and won $1.59 ($0.77 net)
      Hero mucked J J and lost (-$0.82 net)

Villain is unknown

PF: "Standard" play for me is to 3b with JJs. But have been thinking of ranges a lot recently. Remember coach evaluated one of my hand w AKs where I 3b on BB against BU's open and Sb's flat saying if I can't call a 4b, then I'm turning my hand into a bluff (somewhere along that line). So I decided to just flat, because I'm not going w my hand against a 4b here.

Flop: As played, I did considered a raise to protect, but since I've no idea about my opp's range I just call for pot control.

Turn: I don't think the Q changes much so I'm going for x/c, and also plan is to x/c blank river which is basically any non-heart, A or K.

River: Obv, I didn't follow up w my plan. At that moment, it was kinda gut feeling and instinct for me to call because I felt he was weak throughout the whole hand.

Going through this hand again now, I can't see any busted draws or worse hands that will bluff this river. Mid PPs that I beat like TTs, 55s-88s won't bet. Only hand I can think that I beat that might bluff is AK. So all in all, I thought I rushed through my River decision and made a wrong decision.
  • 2 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Preflop: That coach might have been me. I don't like 3-betting these close to premium hands and not having a plan if 4-bet (or having to fold) or not having a plan postflop.

3-betting is good versus people that call a lot and we have some info about postflop.

Flop: Can we raise for value? I wouldn't raise for simple protection unless I can also do it for value.

Turn: As played we can expect him to bluff a good portion of the time or bet Qx.

River: the draws complete but he rarely has any because he would bet the turn as well so I don't mind bluffcatching because his line doesn't make sense (only hands beating us are 33 and A5/56 that would play this way).
    • cheekopeh
      cheekopeh
      Bronze
      Yep indeed it was you!

3-betting PF is always gonna be a problematic area for beginner like me. I agree w you to not 3-bet if we don't have a plan what we want to do postflop or whether it's for bluff or value.

Thanks for e hand analysis!