[NL2-NL10] NL5 Zoom JJs on BB

• cheekopeh
      cheekopeh
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $5.65 (113 bb)
      SB: $5 (100 bb)
      Hero (BB): $10.99 (219.8 bb)
      UTG: $3.52 (70.4 bb)
      MP: $4.95 (99 bb)
      CO: $8.96 (179.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J J
      3 folds, BTN raises to $0.17, SB folds, Hero calls $0.12

Flop: ($0.36) 9 4 2 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.76) Q (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN checks

River: ($0.76) 3 (2 players)
      Hero checks, BTN bets $0.45, Hero calls $0.45

Results:
      $1.66 pot ($0.07 rake)
      Final Board: 9 4 2 Q 3
      BTN showed 5 A and won $1.59 ($0.77 net)
      Hero mucked J J and lost (-$0.82 net)

Villain is unknown

PF: "Standard" play for me is to 3b with JJs. But have been thinking of ranges a lot recently. Remember coach evaluated one of my hand w AKs where I 3b on BB against BU's open and Sb's flat saying if I can't call a 4b, then I'm turning my hand into a bluff (somewhere along that line). So I decided to just flat, because I'm not going w my hand against a 4b here.

Flop: As played, I did considered a raise to protect, but since I've no idea about my opp's range I just call for pot control.

Turn: I don't think the Q changes much so I'm going for x/c, and also plan is to x/c blank river which is basically any non-heart, A or K.

River: Obv, I didn't follow up w my plan. At that moment, it was kinda gut feeling and instinct for me to call because I felt he was weak throughout the whole hand.

Going through this hand again now, I can't see any busted draws or worse hands that will bluff this river. Mid PPs that I beat like TTs, 55s-88s won't bet. Only hand I can think that I beat that might bluff is AK. So all in all, I thought I rushed through my River decision and made a wrong decision.
  • 2 replies
    • BogdanPS
      BogdanPS
      Basic
      Preflop: That coach might have been me. I don't like 3-betting these close to premium hands and not having a plan if 4-bet (or having to fold) or not having a plan postflop.

3-betting is good versus people that call a lot and we have some info about postflop.

Flop: Can we raise for value? I wouldn't raise for simple protection unless I can also do it for value.

Turn: As played we can expect him to bluff a good portion of the time or bet Qx.

River: the draws complete but he rarely has any because he would bet the turn as well so I don't mind bluffcatching because his line doesn't make sense (only hands beating us are 33 and A5/56 that would play this way).
    • cheekopeh
      cheekopeh
      Bronze
      Yep indeed it was you!

3-betting PF is always gonna be a problematic area for beginner like me. I agree w you to not 3-bet if we don't have a plan what we want to do postflop or whether it's for bluff or value.

Thanks for e hand analysis!