Disappointed with not so cheap tournaments

• Patapio
      Patapio
      Bronze
      No problem with maniac donks going all in every single hand in a cheap rebuy tourney. Actually I laugh a lot, fun poker, I don't mind.

But when I play a 11$ or 22$ tourney I don't consider it cheap. OK, one can call me poor but it's not the kind of tourney buy in that I expect to see bizarre stuff going on like huge coin flips with the most unexpected hands.

Poor guy shoved all in with Q's against a reraise and got called. What the other guy had?? J8 of spades. Both deepstack. J8 hit 4 runners for a straight and the guy says "lol" in the chat box. This same guy called another shove with JTo against AKo and again hits a straight. OK, you can say this happens, it's poker. I do agree, really. What is not real for me are these players. Another one shiped all in with no reason (early in the tourney, everybody deep) and got called by J's on the bb. What this guy had? 89o!!! Wow... hit two pairs. And this is just one exemple, there are tons of them... And that's why I'm posting this thread, not because just a couple of hands I saw.

I'm really disappointed. I don't have bankroll to play a 215$ buy in tournament. But these 11$/22$/28$ max. used to be pretty decent tournaments. What I am seeing now is people going crazy and stacking up earlier in the touney playing loosely like in those 99cents rebuys.
  • 11 replies
    • pucilpet
      pucilpet
      Bronze
      Go big or go home... :f_confused:

I don't understand why people keep complaining about bad players. Sure they suck out every now and then but more often than not they'll just end up giving up their tournament life.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Originally posted by pucilpet
      Go big or go home... :f_confused:

I don't understand why people keep complaining about bad players. Sure they suck out every now and then but more often than not they'll just end up giving up their tournament life.
      This!
      The bad players are the guys that spend the money that you want to earn. The more there are the happier you should be. There is no benefit in complaining about gamblers or even calling them fishes/donks/etc in the table chat. Be happy that they exist and try to get their stacks.

Actually you will find this kind of player in EVERY tournament available. That's what makes poker profitable.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • maythany
      maythany
      Bronze
      wow that's surprising. I guess some people just don't care about their money and will spew it off.
    • Patapio
      Patapio
      Bronze
      @pucilet Yep, go big or go home, I agree. But c'mon, you are in the first few hands of a tourney and ship it all with J8s ???

But I just want to add that my impression is that there's a new group of players in these tournaments that used to be in those small rebuy ones doing crazy stuff. Just an impression.

Best regards
    • pucilpet
      pucilpet
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Patapio
      @pucilet Yep, go big or go home, I agree. But c'mon, you are in the first few hands of a tourney and ship it all with J8s ???

But I just want to add that my impression is that there's a new group of players in these tournaments that used to be in those small rebuy ones doing crazy stuff. Just an impression.

Best regards
      I was trying to be sarcastic. :D
    • ThatGuyMatt
      ThatGuyMatt
      Bronze
      You'll find there are a huge amount of fish in MTT's all the way up to a few hundred $$$ and surprisingly enough, they'll also be several that'll make it very deep. Variance can work both ways, you can constantly lose when you have the goods and of course win when you get it in bad.

As for $11 MTT's being "not so cheap", remember that there are thousands of seats for winning $11 Tickets; Stars for example. There are also the many, many, many recreational players that play these limits as compared to other activities, you can get hours of enjoyment out of what would essential be a few pints at the pub, these players don't care so much about winning or losing, they're in for a laugh.
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      I don't want to be disrespectful, but what you're saying is plain stupid.

To be completely honest, I don't think you should be playing 11$/22$ if you don't even know where your winnings are coming from.

And if by "not cheap" you mean you don't have proper bankroll to back them up, than there you have another problem. And if you mean you don't like to risk that kind of money than again, you are looking at your roll and the limit you're playing all wrong.

Or if you can't handle the suckouts from those random allins that well than you should look into your mental approach.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      I deleted spam/single sentence postings. If you have something to add you should join the discussion and give us new perspectives and ideas. If you don't have anything to add, you simply shouldn't post.

Regards,
      Asaban
    • Patapio
      Patapio
      Bronze
      @Tarhonya

No, it's not the question my bankroll is enough. I'm commenting something that I've noticed and I've opened a thread in a forum where we are supposed to do that. I'm commenting that, let's say the starting chips are 5000 and the blinds are still 20/40 and the players are acting as if they are fighting to survive; That if you are in an early stage with these blinds and deepstack there's no sense at all defend your blind with a marginal hand and put everything in the middle; Finaly I would like to insist that I think that's a new public in these tounaments or at least that I'm watching a bigger number of players acting different that I used to see in the past.

If you are interested and want to discuss this or that, OK, but if you post a reply just to sound like "HEY WHY YOU POST THAT? EVERYTHING IS NORMAL AND THERE'S NOTHING TO SAY ABOUT THAT" please go take a look at other threads and find yourself one that interest you.
    • Tarhonya
      Tarhonya
      Bronze
      Again, I'm sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean to, you just seemed to be frustrated by these players instead of being happy that they even exist in the first place which would be the healthy reaction.

The type of player you're describing was always there, and I do think it's quite normal.
      These kind of players doesn't care about tournament life or strategy, they are only seeing the possibility of a big paycheck for winning a tournament but they lack both patience and knowledge so they just keep riding their luck and have some laughs in the meantime.
    • Asaban
      Asaban
      Deleted spam posts.
      Thread is now closed since it is outdated anyways.

Regards,
      Asaban