PLO or NLHE Present day?

• luckyme44
      luckyme44
      Bronze
      SO... Out of curiosity, Should I make the switch to PLO/ tailor my reading and learning towards PLO? Or is NLHE still worthy of investing play time and learning?

I ask this question bc I have become slightly confused as to where I should be best/ most profitably investing my time...

It seems that there is so much info on NLHE present day, and that every aspect of that particular game is taught somewhere or another and easily attainable with a little searching.

PLO on the other hand is a different monster.. variance isn't my concern as I always look towards the long term +EV decisions... I understand that the variance of this game is crazy at times, but is it more profitable?? I cant help but wonder if I'm wasting precious time developing my NLHE game further when I clearly see higher winrates being reached in the PLO variant of poker..

I am ready to make the switch and dedicate myself to PLO more than NLHE but want to hear what others think of present day games and which variant time is best to be invested. Thanks in advance for any response. GL at the tables
  • 8 replies
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      PLO PLO PLO

i have changed to plo $10 and $25 lots of fish and most of the Regs are bad, there are far more draw options for the fish to chase they over rate all starting hands and weak/non nut draws

PLO is defo the way to go
    • OZSA
      OZSA
      Bronze
      PLO has more fish, but you must have very good mindset and ability to not kill someone from tilt. in plo you can have the nuts and 30% equity at the same time :)
    • VorpalF2F
      VorpalF2F
      Super Moderator
      Super Moderator
      Originally posted by luckyme44
      PLO on the other hand is a different monster.. variance isn't my concern as I always look towards the long term +EV decisions... I understand that the variance of this game is crazy at times, but is it more profitable?? I cant help but wonder if I'm wasting precious time developing my NLHE game further when I clearly see higher winrates being reached in the PLO variant of poker..
      Higher winrates by whom?

Do you think your HE skillz will transfer to PLO?

The thing I find toughest about PLO is preflop hand selection.

The thing with variance is this:
      1.  Variance averages to 0 for all players (eventually)
      2.  Skill provides your only edge.

Therefore if skill is equal, you lose at the rake rate over time.
      Your skill in the beginning will be less than the average opponent.

I would encourage you to make the effort though.
      I like to dabble in other variants, and PLO is the one I did the 2nd worst at.

Good Luck!
    • Kyyberi
      Kyyberi
      Coach
      Coach
      There is money to be made in both. Neither is easy, nor neither is too hard. They both require hard work to make some $$$.

Don't choose your game according to "easyness", think which you like more. And then follow that path.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      PLOOOOOO.... I say that not because there are more fish or more money to be made but because it is more fun to me and that is what is keeping me wanting to improve.

You can make money in either game sure NLHE is a bit more full of tough regs right now but if you want it enough you will find ways to get ahead of the rest. Saying that PLO is certainly no easy ride you have a million more things to think about and it's easy at the beginning to fall into the fish category (i'm still there) and over play hands and remember PLO is mostly a postflop game so it wouldn't hurt to keep working on your post flop NLHE game if you are still winning and enjoying it.

Have a try at PLO see if you enjoy it. After you have tried it, you may struggle to go back to 2 cards though :)
    • nefarious26
      nefarious26
      Bronze
      also i find in PLO is that players tilt more thus make more mistakes and we make money from our opponents mistakes
    • luckyme44
      luckyme44
      Bronze
      Very insightful, useful feedback. Thank you all who have replied.. You've given me some food for thought.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Let us know what you decide to go for yeh? Maybe even start a blog if you haven't already?