SB opening

• JLeitmotiv
      JLeitmotiv
      Bronze
      Hey! I've been watching dats podcast about SB opening, and i have a question about it. I've isolated REQ from the equation, but i don't know how to consider position effects. As you say, it's about 4BB/100 difference, so it's about 1% of the pot we miss there.

How did you put that in your equation? You added to the REQ directly that 1%? Did you consider that it had a similar effect to rake, so you multiplied your equity by 0.99? I honestly don't know how to do this here
  • 1 reply
    • datsmahname
      datsmahname
      Global
      Hey JL, there are some corrections listed in the comments about calculating position. The average difference in winrate is not 4BB/100 is actually 4bb/100. I mistook bb for BB in the data I exported from Hm2.

If we compare this 4bb=2BB to the rake and I pay 3.3BB/100 at a 4% rake then:

2BB/3.3BB = .6
      4% * 0.6 = 2.4%

So given this, I estimate that position has a 2.4% advantage. Theres still room to improve this figure.

However, once we know what the effect of being in or out of position is, you're right its another problem to decide how to account for it. Again I think its similar to the rake.

If our opponent has position and it gives him an advantage of say 2.5% of the money wagered per hand then that money he stands to win comes from us in a HU pot.

If this money he stands to win by having position comes from us, then being OOP means we need to drive up our investment by 2.5% of the pot.

So to me when you adjust for being out or in position you increase or decrease your investment by that percentage of the pot. In other words,

Our adjusted investment is
      INVadj = Pot/2-SB + Pot*2.4%

And we plug that result into our equation for the variable Inv.