Talent + Hard Work = Success! A Young Logician's Approach to Life and Poker.

• Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze

"And I'm losing my favourite game
      you're losing your mind again
      I'm losing my baby
      losing my favourite game..."

Well after a great weekend of celebrating a friend's birthday, I sadly came home to lose basically all my $100 bankroll. This is mostly due to my lack of sleep and therefore discipline since I've been stupidly playing NL10 without proper BRM for the past few sessions.

Ironically, I listened to this song for the first time in ages today and later I come to lose at my favourite game. I like to find the little positives in all grim situations, and to be honest I find this particular occurrence quite amusing.

I could sit and complain about what's happened, but what good what that do?

Instead, I've decided to create this blog, which I've been meaning to do for a while for a number of reasons including:
      • To monitor my improvement, not only as a poker player but as growing human being.
      • To become more social. I'd probably describe myself as cerebral since I really don't care much for emotions and would rather task my mind with intelligent activities. Recently, I've realised that to others this might come across as selfish, which I guess is true so I'd love to become accustomed to the art of communication to help combat this problem.
      • To gain other peoples insights, encouragements and techniques for how they tackle certain problems, in life and in poker. I also hope to share my own insights, techniques, etc. to help benefit others.

[U]A little about me[/u]
      I'm a 18, soon to be 19 year old from what I'd say is the party capital of the England, Newcastle upon Tyne. Like a lot of young folk these days, I found myself on the dole last year and it was really getting me down not having a job, though to be honest, I never really wanted a job, I just looked for a one to please my parents with whom I still live with.

I had a lot of potential in school, but back then I wasn't interested in getting good grades, I just assumed I was clever enough to make tons of money, oh how naive I once was. This led to mediocre GCSEs and I ended up dropping out of College twice, failing to complete my A-Levels due to sheer laziness, I just had no motivation to get out of bed in the morning.

After a while of looking for work, I realised I needed something which I could happily get out of bed for each day otherwise I'd end up sacked within a month. I then realised that there was no job which would be able to fulfil this wish due to me having no qualifications.

But maybe there was something already in my life that could keep me interested, motivated and my mind working every day, whilst earning some money.

My poker life so far...
      All my life, I've loved puzzles, maths, logic and consequently card games. When I was around 8 I used to go to my Dad's Aunt's house basically everyday to play cards with her. She ended up teaching me Gin Rummy and before long I was beating her at it.

I see myself as a care-free person, so when it comes to taking risks, I'm happy to gamble. Therefore, as soon as I found poker, it was an instant match made in heaven. I started playing online, I would say that my logic and reasoning abilities made me a winning player, but I'd say my tilt and bankroll management is what left me broke time and time again.

I've started taking poker extremely seriously since Oct, and I managed to beat NL2 and move up to NL5 for Nov but then I've neglected it recently which is the reason I nearly went busto.

My current goals
      • Gain enough confidence in your game and get to $75 in order to move up to NL5. (Aggressive BRM for the win!)
      • Play 10000 hands, being sure to use the process model to constantly improve.
      • Completely master all the fundamentals of NL Hold'em.
      • Save up $750 so I can withdraw some money to start playing live at the weekends.
      • Be able to make an average of over 2 buy-ins each day.
      • Keep going for early morning jogs.

More to be added, I'm feel extra frisky this morning so I'm going to go for a run, something which I never do. I hope to make this into a habit, as I have heard a lot of positive benefits of keeping a healthy mind and body.

To anybody who sees this message before I add the rest, I hope you will return after I have updated this. :)

Let's hope I don't pass out on this run! :f_biggrin:
  • 9 replies
    • MMPokerNab
      MMPokerNab
      Bronze
      in before busto!

err.. wait a sec. :f_biggrin:

j/k, hope you follow your BRM more wisely from now. :f_grin: it shouldn't be much of a problem since you described yourself pretty bot-like.

and running is awesome, just don't overdo it or you won't be able to walk much. i pretty much am struggling to introduce it as a steady habit myself too.

and yes, it's quite ironic. cosmic irony ftw.
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      Haha, not busto pal. I managed to tear myself away from my degenerative stage to save $13. Now is that lucky or unlucky? Cosmic irony FTW!

Even though I managed to lose all that money, I'm still proud of myself that I managed to save some. This is longest I haven't been broke for, roughly 7 weeks which is a major improvement on previous attempts at becoming a winning player.

I am going to be conservative with my bankroll management and follow a strict 25 buy-in rule. I would probably be confident moving up to NL5 with 20 buy-ins but I'm going to stick to my BRM as a test of discipline for later levels.

As for the run, I went outside and it was raining but not even the weather could put me off today, I'm a man with a mission. I managed to jog for 15 minutes, taking certain minutes out to either sprint or walk. I've got to admit that I'm absolutely knackered off it though, my bedroom is located up many stairs so I basically had to crawl up the last few.

I'm not sure if it's a placebo but I already see some benefits, I've been able to think that little bit clearer today and have been making sure to write down all my thoughts and goals into a notepad. Then I actually tidied my room to an excellent standard and had breakfast for once.

It's only 10:14am and even though I haven't really done much, I've accomplished more than I would on most days. Can't wait for the rest of today, going to do some poker stuff, update my blog and then spend most of the day with my family for my nephew's 1st birthday.
    • MMPokerNab
      MMPokerNab
      Bronze
      that's nice ^^ good job on following thru with running despite the rain.

and, $13 is great compared to busto. hope you have a little run good, so you get some breathing room, BR wise. remember tight is right. ;)

continue having a productive day then!

out of interest, what site do you play on?
    • meepwn
      meepwn
      Bronze
      thanks for the song :f_love:

gl on your quest
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      I play Zoom on Pokerstars, what about you?

I love that song also, I sent my friend a text thanking him for re-introducing me to it :)

Well this week is going great so far, I've already clocked in over 10 hours of poker work, making sure to spend a fair amount of time studying theory, playing and analysing tricky spots.

Also managed to find an hour to do some work through my Maths course which I never got to finish at College, I very much enjoy this so will definitely be doing some more.

Have also been continuing with my 5:00am jogs even though it's been raining, I told myself I could have today off but I think it'll be best if I just keep going for these jogs but I think I'll go a bit later today.

Having great success with my study group, did a sweat with another player which allowed me to highlight where I was making mistakes, mainly when to c-bet as well as overvaluing my opponents draws.

Feel like I've made great progress already and it's only Wednesday morning, don't know how I've managed to wake up at 03:00am instead of 05:00am though :f_o:
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      Well, I let my old habits get the better of me and I nearly lost my entire BR again though this time I was left with $25.

To some of you, this would count as a failure but to me it's a giant success. When I used to tilt off my bankroll, it would all go, every last cent but now I can quit before the dreaded $0.00. This means I haven't had to deposit in over 2 months, the longest time I can remember! Also, next time I think I should be able to quit after I reach my stop-loss tactics, from which I had stopped practicing.

Also, I only have to win $50 until I can take another shot at NL5. However, this time I must remind myself that it is of the uttermost importance that I drop back down to NL2 with $50 otherwise I'll end up in the same position.

At the moment, I'm trying to limit my volume to ensure that the quality of my hands still stays as high as it should be. Also been trying out usual cash games instead of Zoom and I've got to say these past 500 hands have been the most profitable (in terms of BB) of my whole poker career.

Even though this week hasn't went as great as I'd hoped, I have really saw great improvement in my game and how well I am able to handle making mistakes. I am more determined than ever to succeed and most importantly, I see where I have been making mistakes in my previous attempts.

Will try to remember to jot my interesting thoughts down so I can make my blog a bit more fun and also will post a blog of my graph and the most interesting hands I can find once I play another 500 or so.
    • Raknyo
      Raknyo
      Bronze
      First 1,000 hands have went brilliantly for the following reasons:
      • I practiced the process model for each session.
      • I didn't look at my bankroll during the game.
      • I gained maximum value from fish.
      • I saw improvement in my greatest weaknesses, bluffing fish and calling river bets too lightly.
      • I ran good! :f_biggrin:

Haven't went over the last 700 hands with a fine tooth-comb yet but here is one, moderately interesting hand:

PokerStars - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
      Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 215.5 BB
      Hero (BTN): 136.5 BB
      SB: 50 BB
      BB: 53 BB
      UTG: 102 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.03) Hero has 2:diamond: 2:heart:

fold, fold, Hero raises to 3 BB, fold, BB calls 2 BB

Flop: ($0.13, 2 players) T:club: 2:spade: 2:club:
      BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: ($0.13, 2 players) A:heart:
      BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($0.13, 2 players) 3:diamond:
      BB bets 4 BB, Hero raises to 15 BB, BB raises to 26 BB, Hero raises to 50 BB, BB calls 24 BB and is all-in

Hero shows 2:diamond: 2:heart: (Four of a Kind, Twos) (Pre 51%, Flop 100%, Turn 100%)
      BB shows 4:club: 5:heart: (Straight, Five High) (Pre 49%, Flop 0%, Turn 0%)
      Hero wins 103 BB

Slow-playing, like a BOSS! :)

Look forward to practicing the process model for the next 1,500 hands!

As for anyone who doesn't know what the process model is (go read Jared Tellers book NOW!), it is a simple concept which allows people to perform at their best most often. This is incredibly important for us poker players, who need to play their A-game as often as possible.

If your intrigued, click here!

Also, I recently found a great software which has greatly improved my motivation but more about that next time ;)
    • nokifpp
      nokifpp
      Bronze
      Nice graph :) will be following
    • TinoLaan
      TinoLaan
      Bronze
      Losing a big chunk of your BR twice really sucks. Hopefully you'll be able to get yourself out of this downward spiral. Like you said yourself, if you really enforce your BRM and the stop-loss limits you set up for yourself, this shouldn't be a problem. It's a bit of a mindset change, but I'm sure you'll be able to pull it off, based on the way you write about it :)

Also nh :f_biggrin: