[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL 50 bdfd/bdsd vs strange guy

• DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      On Game, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $44.78 (89.6 bb)
      Hero (SB): $49.34 (98.7 bb)
      BB: $50 (100 bb)
      UTG: $98.08 (196.2 bb)
      MP: $54.32 (108.6 bb)
      CO: $93.20 (186.4 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 5 A
      UTG folds, MP raises to $1.25, 2 folds, Hero calls $1, BB folds

Flop: ($3) Q 4 8 (2 players)
      Hero bets $2, MP calls $2

Turn: ($7) 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $5.25, MP raises to $11.50, Hero calls $6.25

River: ($30) 3 (2 players)
      Hero bets $34.59 and is all-in, MP folds

How would you play it vs this strange guy?

I donk flop as his cbet is extremely low

I call his raise on the turn because he is very passive and I believe he has a strong hand.

I donk shove river as I think he likes his hand and I don't want to risk him checking it back (again because of his passivity)
  • 6 replies
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      I don't like ur preflop call. U could call this hand from BB, but no from SB. 3bet or fold it.

As played : donkbetting on this board vs MP isn't terrible, but I rather stick to checking 100% of our range. Ur reasoning about it is a little bit weird. U say u donkbet because he's checking back a lot. Do u really wan't him to bet when u have this hand ?!
      Calling turn is OK, we almost get direct odds to do that.
      I don't like ur river donkbet. If he has something really strong, he will never check it back on this river because it's a blank pretty much.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      I would lead all strong hands here, and I balance my range with this kind of hands with some backdoor equity. Checking 100% of our range looks pretty bad imo as he is cbetting so little (why would be checking 99 on this board be good if he is likely to check back and take a free card against our vulnerable hand?)

And did you notice his stats? He looks rather passive postflop and I don't think I can count on him here to bet with TP for example.
    • imfromsweden007
      imfromsweden007
      Bronze
      I don't neccesarely think it's bad to have a donking range on this flop, but with this hand I would just check. There is no reason for us to "balance" here since villain doesn't seem very good and almost certainly won't notice and adapt properly. People often overestimate the importance of balance in postflop spots in 6max, I really don't think it has enough of an impact for us to choose anything else than the most +ev line in a vaccum. Perhaps at higher stakes, but even then I can get away with almost anything.

So since we have no balance rules we have to obey, we can just take the most +ev line. In this case I think that is to check/fold flop, and donk turn if flop gets checked through.

As played I like how you played the turn, but I would just check the river. Anything strong enough to raise the turn will just bet river anyways, and you miss value versus his (unlikely but still possible?) bluff.

ifs
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      I'd me more tempted to check down all my weak sd hands vs this guy. A5 is a little bit weak for that, but still I rather c/f the flop and then bet turn and river vs him.

Betting something like AQ is OK vs him, but I really doubt we have to balance anything against him. He will call u down with TP anyways.

I don't like betting 99 here. It's very unlikely he will call by worse and this type of player won't float or bluffraise u as well. So u're turning 99 into a bluff. If u want some donking range on this board, I'd suggest something like AQ+ and some bluffs (If he folds too much to donks, then u can bluff all ur weak sd hands). And then check the rest - all ur pairs and some good Ahi's. U can start bluffing with those on the turn or maybe bet once with hand like 99 on the turn.
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      OK, I wrote almost the same as imfromsweden007 :f_cool:
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Double win for me, thanks for the input guys :f_grin: