[NL20-NL50] [SH] NL 50 play back vs donk 3 barrel with air

• DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      On Game, $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

Hero (BTN): $55.21 (110.4 bb)
      SB: $193.46 (386.9 bb)
      BB: $54.31 (108.6 bb)
      UTG: $65.49 (131 bb)
      MP: $50.75 (101.5 bb)
      CO: $47 (94 bb)

Preflop: Hero is BTN with A 6
      3 folds, Hero raises to $1, SB calls $0.75, BB folds

Flop: ($2.50) 2 5 7 (2 players)
      SB bets $2, Hero calls $2

Turn: ($6.50) 2 (2 players)
      SB bets $5, Hero calls $5

River: ($16.50) 8 (2 players)
      SB bets $12, Hero raises to $26, SB folds

I thought that no one is ever donking this flop with a strong hand as I am very likely to cbet myself with 100 of my range. As it turned out I was right but what's your opinion on this ?
  • 8 replies
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      mistake
    • getdotacom
      getdotacom
      Black
      I like raising the flop and then barreling much better. Your way he can just c/c river with 7x and we won't get our opportunity to raise. Also something like K can come on the turn and he will c/c 2 streets again.
      If u think u're good at sd and will check back when he checks, then I like ur play.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Originally posted by getdotacom
      I like raising the flop and then barreling much better. Your way he can just c/c river with 7x and we won't get our opportunity to raise. Also something like K can come on the turn and he will c/c 2 streets again.
      If u think u're good at sd and will check back when he checks, then I like ur play.
      So you raise flop cuz you never expect him to be strong, so you barrel. Problem with this is that we then represent nothing but I guess we can expect this kind of player to never play back?

I played it this way because i thought this is the way I would play something really strong, did not think about checking back river but it certainly makes sens as he is likely to be x/calling some stuff (though why would he? is not like he is expecting us to be double floating him imo)
    • imfromsweden007
      imfromsweden007
      Bronze
      We certainly represent a lot of hands by raising the flop! We could easily raise overpairs, sets, and respresent a bunch of different semibluffing hands on the turn and river!
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      Originally posted by imfromsweden007
      We certainly represent a lot of hands by raising the flop! We could easily raise overpairs, sets, and respresent a bunch of different semibluffing hands on the turn and river!
      Ok, I'm not getting a point here, if he is represent nothing by donking why would you raise a strong hand and take the bluffing opportunity away from him?
    • imfromsweden007
      imfromsweden007
      Bronze
      Because we do not have a hand we are happy to take to showdown with. If we had A5 here it would be a different story, but A6 is just too weak. Better to just win the pot right there on the flop.
    • DeMarcohsp
      DeMarcohsp
      Bronze
      My question was why raise strong hands as overpairs/sets if we think he has weak range?
    • imfromsweden007
      imfromsweden007
      Bronze
      I don't necessarily raise my strong hands, if I think he has a weak range I will only raise my bluffs :) I'm just saying that in his eyes we could easily be raising the flop with sets/overpairs/etc, but in reality we're exploiting him by for example raising mostly bluffs.

ifs