[NL2-NL10] [NL2 Zoom SH] AJo SB (flop 3b with air)

• Optroot
      Optroot
      Bronze
      Playing LAG without a HUD.

I expect to get raised on dry boards with a lot of air and a lot of weak made hands. I expect most to flat with Kx, and sets. I also expect the small blind feels committed to bluff because they are in position, and called a loose players SB steal, and I CB this board 100% of the time. It's a perfect spot for them to bluff.

I'm confused whether I'm value betting or bluffing though. Sure villain can fold 2x,4x,and PP, but I have the best hand here a lot of the time. I think flatting and turning hand into a bluff catcher makes life too hard.

My line is super unbalanced, I'm never 3 betting this flop with made hands. But I don't think that matters to unknown on NL2. Needless to say I'm giving up OTT unimproved if called.

Is my reasoning good, or is this spew?

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools by CardRunners - Hand Details

BTN: $2.20 (110 bb)
      Hero (SB): $4.74 (237 bb)
      BB: $2.66 (133 bb)
      UTG: $1.50 (75 bb)
      MP: $3.79 (189.5 bb)
      CO: $4.86 (243 bb)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J A
      4 folds, Hero raises to $0.06, BB calls $0.04

Flop: ($0.12) 4 K 2 (2 players)
      Hero bets $0.06, BB raises to $0.16, Hero raises to $0.38, BB folds
  • 4 replies
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      Well this is pure bluff it doesn't make any senese with value betting. If you value bet that means that you would like to be called with worse and you have a plan to get some value. In that particular case what worse hand than yours is calling your 3 bet on flop. So this is pure bluffing.

I also would like to say you something about your own game in terms of tilting. If you do some hands like that i think you will eb very angry on yourself when you will be caught and you will know you didnt do the right thing. Those looses will affect your next hands and that could be even more costly than this mistake.

Flop is either b/f if you expect villain is folding enough cBets or check/fold. Check fold would not be a big mistake here either.

As played i think folding on flop would be correct option.
    • Optroot
      Optroot
      Bronze
      I have to admit b/f is standard, and should've been the line I took. I'm mix playing HUSNGs where resteals on this board are more common... Maybe that mentality doesn't translate for NL2...

I had a brain fart about the VBing, because I was thinking I'm ahead of villains range so it's a VB. But of course he only calls with better so its a bluff.

On closer thought, I don't know why, against unknown, I would think AJ is ahead here vs min-raise. He might raise here often in this spot, but most beat AJ.

I also would like to say you something about your own game in terms of tilting. If you do some hands like that i think you will eb very angry on yourself when you will be caught and you will know you didnt do the right thing. Those looses will affect your next hands and that could be even more costly than this mistake.

I have to admit, I'm not sure if getting called/raised here would tilt me (it might). I know for sure it would be distracting for the rest of the session, so you definitely have a point. I guess distraction is a form of tilt.

I appreciate your insight, Alan.
    • Alan883
      Alan883
      Bronze
      You are very welcome. I am also glad you read my thought with such a precision. I am very glad to share thoughts with people who want to learn and of course i am on the same way as you are....on our long long learning path so thank you to.
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Preflop raising is fine of course.

Don't really like your postflop play.
      I'm betting $0.08 on the flop and folding against a raise.
      In general, people on NL2 are tending to be rather passive so I don't really expect him to raise a lot as a bluff here in order to justify 3betting here.
      So just fold it without any further info.

Best,
      Plamen