40bb players

• gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      If you had no other information on a player in a 6max NL100 or NL200 regular speed or fast tables other than the fact they were playing 9 tables, bought into all with 40 bb. Would you classify that player as: weak , strong or average while you were observing their play and gathering more info.

I would classify them as weak in lieu of any other info for the simple reason that they can't use their stack or position to any advantage. It's mostly all-in or fold.

I would really appreciate opinions on this.
      Thanks
  • 10 replies
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Hey moved this to relevant board :)

I wouldn't insta mark them as weak if they were 9 tabling@ 200 or 100nl the chances are they work on their MSS game. Would keep an eye on them for a while and decide from there. From my experience fish who play with 40bb soon make themselves known.

Carl
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Originally posted by ExternalUseOnly
      Hey moved this to relevant board :)

I wouldn't insta mark them as weak if they were 9 tabling@ 200 or 100nl the chances are they work on their MSS game. Would keep an eye on them for a while and decide from there. From my experience fish who play with 40bb soon make themselves known.

Carl
      Ah thank you was't sure where to post this.

I just watched this guy 12 tabling, not on auto top up, playing an aggro type style: raise from any position,get 3bet and shove with any two face cards plus, as soon as he went broke he reloaded and played the same style. So I looked at him on a couple of other tables and he was doing the same thing. It's not like he was playing every hand or even a lot of hands, but when he did play and got 3bet he almost always shoved or folded.

Then I watched this other 40bb player on another NL200 table. He played a very tight style in position, he was getting raised when he was in the blinds, and 3bet when he opened. If he shoved the other player would fold unless they had a really strong hand. I don't see how either of these players make any money.

I could see working on your MSS game if there were other MSS players at your table ( I never thought of that), but if you are the only one or there is just one other, I think there are better ways to work on your MSS game.
      '
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      There's very few fish who 9 tables so a 40bb stack that plays 6+ tables i auto tag pinky for a shortie. Even if true that most of them suck and just play 40bb cuz they suck to bad to play full stacked, some of them actually have a decent gameplan and know how to abuse their short stack with squeezing and using the correct betsizings in some spots.

Like a spot where you open on the CO, good full stack reg calls you on the BU and then there are 2 shorties on the blinds who both squeeze about 20%. Now if you hold something marginal like AJ-AQ,88-JJ your pretty much in a shitty spot since you want to get it in vs a shortie because you have some FE and your ahead of his range with those holdings, but you really can't just ship over him since the reg knows that they are squeezing almost 40% of the time combined so he will be trapping there all the time.

In general most of them aren't going to be big winners but even so i still wouldn't tag them as weak spots on the table since even if they mostly depend on rakeback they still have some evenish or 1bb winrate meaning even if they don't win a lot of money they don't lose it either.
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Originally posted by MatejM47
      There's very few fish who 9 tables so a 40bb stack that plays 6+ tables i auto tag pinky for a shortie. Even if true that most of them suck and just play 40bb cuz they suck to bad to play full stacked, some of them actually have a decent gameplan and know how to abuse their short stack with squeezing and using the correct betsizings in some spots.

Like a spot where you open on the CO, good full stack reg calls you on the BU and then there are 2 shorties on the blinds who both squeeze about 20%. Now if you hold something marginal like AJ-AQ,88-JJ your pretty much in a shitty spot since you want to get it in vs a shortie because you have some FE and your ahead of his range with those holdings, but you really can't just ship over him since the reg knows that they are squeezing almost 40% of the time combined so he will be trapping there all the time.

In general most of them aren't going to be big winners but even so i still wouldn't tag them as weak spots on the table since even if they mostly depend on rakeback they still have some evenish or 1bb winrate meaning even if they don't win a lot of money they don't lose it either.
      Great point: never considered the rack back and that would make sense. So would you classify them as exploitable while you're gathering more info?
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Originally posted by gp00053

Great point: never considered the rack back and that would make sense. So would you classify them as exploitable while you're gathering more info?
      Well i color code them to pink so that i know to adjust my betsizing vs them when 3betting/opening the BU but other then that i just consider them a shortie regular that i don't expect to be really good since most of them aren't. I also won't consider them a fish since i don't believe that there's a ton of money to be made off them(or not more so then vs other bad regs playing full stacked)

Basically they really don't matter to me with my game selection. What i look to when i table select is to have a fish that i have position on. It also matters what kind of fish since a fish playing 80% VPIP is going to donate me more money then a fish playing something like 25/5(still a fish but its 3 times harder to get his money since he plays 3 times less hands) but even so i'd prefer a bad fish over a bad shortie :)

Hope that makes some sense lol
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      Makes perfect sense. I do the same thing, only my color code is different.
      Thanks
    • MatejM47
      MatejM47
      Black
      Thanks
      Well it shouldn't be. Its commonly known that shorties are gay and therefor they rightfully deserve a pinky color :)
    • gp00053
      gp00053
      Bronze
      :P
    • MrMardyBum
      MrMardyBum
      Bronze
      Thanks
      Well it shouldn't be. Its commonly known that shorties are gay and therefor they rightfully deserve a pinky color :)
      :f_love: Made me chuckle to myself!
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Thanks
      hahaha it takes a real man to wear pink ;)