need help finding a good processor

• swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      hey,
      any computer experts out there? I haven't followed processor technology for ages, so I have no idea what's good nowadays, but I need a new one cause my computer is slow as fk with partypoker (java programming ftw)
      anyhoo, I have a socket AM2 mobo and I'd rather not buy too many new components since I need money for a couple UPS's as well T_T ...any recommendations?
  • 12 replies
    • brian997
      brian997
      Bronze
      whats your budget, where are you located (country), and what do you use it for (gaming or just basic, or a mix)?
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      Switzerland, let's say 300$ absolute maximum if it's just the processor (maybe 400 for processor+mobo if I have to change it) and I mainly play poker on party which is a huge load - my AM2 5000+ (brisbane chipset if I remember correctly) actually slows down to a halt, even with no other apps open and no graphical effects (ugly old theme for windows etc).
      My current one is more than enough for the games i play though, so I wouldn't worry about that (got a geforce 8600GT too)

btw swiss prices are often lower than the average in europe, so if you have any recommendations, don't worry about the prices, I'll check them. Thanks :)
    • brian997
      brian997
      Bronze
      I'd recommend the AMD 5600+ then, its a 2.8 GHz dual core... I have the 6000+ and it is really good for 16 tables at a time (on a 22inch monitor). My other computer has a 5600 and I know that is was flawless on about 8 tables, so I would imagine 16 to not be too bad either (maybe a little itty bit of lag if many tables are dealing at once).
      I can't imagine spending $300 on a cpu! is that really how much stuff is there, I'm confused... Here, the 5600+ is only about $110, I live in Canada.
      We use a site called ncix.com, I tried a quick google but couldn't find any online computer stores in europe... Do you not have any, or am I just ignorant to european ways haha??
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      they're actually surprisingly difficult to find online, but there's a price comparison site, http://www.toppreise.ch, which indexes dozens of retailers - and yeah I paid about 150chf ( chf = $) for my 5000+ in november last year, so I guess prices are about the same as yours

btw a 10% or even 20% increase in power won't be enough - but nevermind, I'll have a look on tomshardware and see if the AMD phenoms are any good - I think they're compatible with old AM2 boards

//edit: just saw the cheapest AMD quadcores are 200$, up to 290$, the triple-core versions start at 160$
    • brian997
      brian997
      Bronze
      you don't need anything more than a dual to play poker. Invest the money instead on getting extra ram, thats where it will help. How many screens/tables are you running? I've built quite a few gaming machines, and even the 5200+ can handle Crysis on max quality with 25-30 fps during the gun battles...
      The thing that would potentially be slowing down your poker playing is the cpu and the ram. How much ram do you have?

I'm not sure if you slipped that in by mistake, by AM2 boards aren't old haha they are still the most common type sold in new AMD machines
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      I just upgraded from 2gb to 4gb ram - that's not the problem. The CPU monitor is always close to 100% when i'm running too many tables (this is only with partypoker btw, other sites are actually well coded, so they're not too heavy). If I try running table selection software, or import hands while playing, it actually lags. I'm sure i could run crysis fine, but that's mostly handled by the graphics card, so the processor won't have a huge effect on that. I definitely need a much more powerful processor, I guess I'll go for a quad-core phenom 9500 or so - not the best, but I don't want to change my whole setup...unless someone can recommend anything better?

And I know AM2 are still used now, what I mean is I have a "normal" AM2 board, not AM2+ (which was developed for the phenom platform, but is still backward-compatible)
    • brian997
      brian997
      Bronze
      Oh okay I understand what you mean now :P
      The Phenom should work, but if you want to save yourself some money, just switch platforms :P But that probably wasn't the answer you were looking for :P
    • CMB
      CMB
      Bronze
      General Rules

1. Always change CPU, MB and RAM at the same time
      2. Intel Core 2Duo or Quad are perfect
      3. RAM so cheap, go for 4GB

Looking at PC prices, you might want to consider getting all this as a new PC, it is so cheap.

B.R.
      CMB

p.s. repeat all this within 2 years, throw away old PC.
    • brian997
      brian997
      Bronze
      Originally posted by CMB
      General Rules

1. Always change CPU, MB and RAM at the same time WRONG
      2. Intel Core 2Duo or Quad are perfect YES, except not Intel, he wants AMD
      3. RAM so cheap, go for 4GB Not neccessarily. 2GB of High Quality Ram > 4GB of Cheap RAM

Looking at PC prices, you might want to consider getting all this as a new PC, it is so cheap. Not in most places, especially not when getting top of the line components

fyp^^
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      yeah i would've been ok buying MB+CPU for intel, but I just got a phenom 9550 (Agena B3 stepping), cheaper and quicker option, i don't mind changing it in 1-2 years.. already have 4gb ram so that's ok
    • brian997
      brian997
      Bronze
      I'll bet it runs good now eh?
    • swissmoumout
      swissmoumout
      Bronze
      no lag anymore :)