[NL2-NL10] NL5 Zoom 33s Calling 3-bet

• cheekopeh
      cheekopeh
      Bronze
      Poker Stars, $0.02/$0.05 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
      Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

BTN: $2.86 (57.2 bb)
      SB: $3.87 (77.4 bb)
      BB: $4.73 (94.6 bb)
      UTG: $1.28 (25.6 bb)
      Hero (MP): $5 (100 bb)
      CO: $12.51 (250.2 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 3 3
      UTG folds, Hero raises to $0.20, CO raises to $0.45, BTN folds, SB calls $0.43, BB folds, Hero calls $0.25

Flop: ($1.40) 2 K J (3 players)
      SB checks, Hero checks, CO bets $1, 2 folds

Results:
      $1.40 pot ($0.06 rake)
      Final Board: 2 K J
      SB mucked and lost (-$0.45 net)
      Hero mucked 3 3 and lost (-$0.45 net)
      CO mucked and won $1.34 ($0.89 net)

As played, I called CO's 3-bet because Sb's call means I have a good chance to get value if I hit my set against 2 players. I also get 4.5:1 odds to set-mine.

a) What odds are considered good to play speculative hands profitably? I know implied odds should be considered, but for a start should we use call20 rule or more for suited connectors? Since we'll most likely only have a drawing hand on the flop, I guess it should be more?

b) In the instance Sb doesn't call. I have to call $0.25c into $0.77c pot which is 3:1 odds. The effective stack is $5, Call20 rule is fulfilled since $0.25c x 20 = $5 (if using stack left behind, it will then be $4.80 which is not Call20 but still very close). So will it be a profitable play for me to set-mine?

Sorry for the numerous questions and if they are little out of topic from the hand!
  • 2 replies
    • kymupa
      kymupa
      Bronze
      Hello,

Preflop raising is fine and against a small 3bet and call it's fine to overcall.

On the flop we don't hit and check/folding is the best option.

a) Well there is no exact formula of what odds should we have (or at least I don't know it).
      We have to what opponents we are playing - if for example we are against fishes it's much more likely that they would stack with TPNK for example so we can call even with worse odds.
      Also we should consider the stack sizes.

b) If SB didn't call we would have easy call as well.
      I guess that CO's range would be tight and considering the good odds that we have, we have an easy call.
      Also the hand plays relatively easy postflop and we won't have any hard decisions.

Do you have anything to ask or something was misunderstood?

Best,
      Plamen
    • cheekopeh
      cheekopeh
      Bronze
      Hi,

Everything was well explained in a) and b). I understood what you are getting at.

Thanks!