$500 Bankroll Management

• 24 replies
    • jonnyjm
      jonnyjm
      Silver
      Stick to original stakes and treat it as buffer unless you beat your current stakes in which case move up a limit. Or secondly cash out the winnings and pretend it never happened. Or if you don't care if you lose the money move up to what your BR allows.
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      id probably cash out 450 and play what u used to play with the initial $50 or move up 1 limit and grind there - it isnt a big difference between NL2/NL5/NL10 but def dont go higher yet imo

and if u see ur losing just go back and try to up your game :)
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Originally posted by jonnyjm
      Stick to original stakes and treat it as buffer unless you beat your current stakes in which case move up a limit. Or secondly cash out the winnings and pretend it never happened. Or if you don't care if you lose the money move up to what your BR allows.
      I'm inclined to agree with this. I'm guessing a lot of players have had big wins and then just assumed they should move up! DON'T!

The fact that you've asked this question is the perfect start.

Cash it out - treat yourself to a nice early xmas present :)

Congrats,
      Gary
    • abhi147
      abhi147
      Bronze
      Why don't you spend 100$ or so on private coaching
      Then move up 1 limit and see how it goes
    • gadget51
      gadget51
      Bronze
      The fact you have to ask the question is enough for me to suggest that you don't move up, at least not yet. It's all very well to jump up to No Limit X because you have the bankroll to do so, but then do you have the skill to take the shot? Without it - and don't forget the confidence and mindset to back these up - I wouldn't take a big leap. Yes I am a bit of a bankroll nit but it has served me well so far.

What about ringfencing a large portion of it, leaving yourself enough to play and learn without fear of going broke, this would allow a little more experimentation of the theory with less pressure if it doesn't work on any particular day?

Just my thoughts on it. Obviously if like me, you need to take some off for bills etc., then the above won't apply.

Lots of good advice in previous posts as well, but isn't it fun to be in a position to have a choice? :s_biggrin:

Best regards and have fun,

Mal.
    • MrS212i
      MrS212i
      Bronze
      I'm guessing a lot of players have had big wins and then just assumed they should move up! DON'T!
      Talking about this guy :D

"he broke even over low stakes sngs/tourneys for around 2,775 games before he luckboxed the sunday million.
      He then decided to take some shots at bigger sngs with rather disasterous results.
      Somehow, after donking away $140,000+ he finds it in himself to stop playing so high and books around $40k in profit.
      How he didn't donk it all away we'll never know."

This is the best thing you can do with the money you won. Spending it on some present for yourself will only bring you temporary joy. Where as if you invest it in at least a semi-decent coach, you should make alot more of it. Trying to learn on your own through books, and forums helps, but it wont make u a huge winner. Also dont look for "cheap" coaching, cause you will get 'cheap' advice. Get someone who is well known and charges min $50/hr. Take like $250 and book 5 x 1hr sessions or whatever you can get for that and keep the other $250 to play.
      I started getting coached in May, broke even in June, havent had a loosing month since July and am currently having my biggest month ever! :D

Edit:typo
    • ferdy81
      ferdy81
      Bronze
      Just invest part of your roll back in poker and you'll be good (coaching, poker software, etc.). Learn, learn and once again - learn!

After that you can slowly take shoots at one stake higher where you are now and check your progress. But from my experience, there is like no difference on NL2 or NL4 games. Beat your level first (mostly value bet) with your new knowledge like other suggested and progress up to the NL10 in a month or two.

BR and good luck.
    • zumpar
      zumpar
      Bronze
      Originally posted by darrenrudolph
      I'm guessing a lot of players have had big wins and then just assumed they should move up! DON'T!

"he broke even over low stakes sngs/tourneys for around 2,775 games before he luckboxed the sunday million.
      He then decided to take some shots at bigger sngs with rather disasterous results.
      Somehow, after donking away $140,000+ he finds it in himself to stop playing so high and books around $40k in profit.

lol this is hillarious
    • jules97
      jules97
      Bronze
      That can happen to anyone. Maybe not on that scale, but something to always watch out for after a good run.
    • RasTweet
      RasTweet
      Bronze
      I also use the rolls as 1 'big' roll.

Originally posted by jules97
      That can happen to anyone. Maybe not on that scale, but something to always watch out for after a good run.
      This is very important! Even if you had some good run be very careful and drop down in limits if you have to.

And I think everything is said. Don't jump to many limits, the micro's is meant to learn the game. But I don't think it's a mistake to go from nl2 to nl5. There isn't a big difference, if any!

Regards

RasTweet
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

@OP: How much experience do you have at your current stakes, how many hands? Are you winning over that sample? Also how much does that money mean to you? Can you easily re-load if you go bust? I like to recommend moving up the stakes as quickly as possible as long as you are winning and confident and prepared to move straight back down a level if you hit a downswing and gradually add buy-ins for each level you play. For example:

Take shots at 5NL with 15buy-ins and move back down to 2NL if you drop below 12buy-ins

Do the same for 10NL

When you reach 20 or 25NL take shots with 20 buy-ins and move down when as soon as you drop below 17BI's

Then add another 5-10BI's for 50NL where it might be wise to stay for a while and build up a decent roll before moving up anymore

Of course you will need to work really hard at your game this way and constantly practice the theory as well as playing. Also this way isn't for everyone if you are still relatively new to poker and don't have that much experience yet i definitely would NOT recommend it and if your mindset must be really strong and disciplined to be able to move up and down quickly. If you know your mindset isn't as strong as it could be then also don't go down this road.

I think there is nothing wrong with taking a shot at higher levels as long as you are sensible and know when you are beat and will be happy to return to playing whatever stakes you're at now

Hope i made some sense at least
      Carl
    • UPAY4DINNER
      UPAY4DINNER
      Silver
      Yeah I remember the SM guy mentioned above. He is back playing for cheeseburgers again :)
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      It was the guy who decided to play like $2k and $5k HUSNGs or whatever the top ones are on Stars right?

I remember there was a live ticker thread on 2+2 of what he was playing he turned into a bit of a hero when he went back on a bit of a heater but then blew it all again :facepalm:
    • pucilpet
      pucilpet
      Bronze
      :facepalm: :facepalm:

If I ever did won the Sunday Million, I'd cash out 99% of it right away.

About the topic:

I have to agree with the rest of you. I'd be inclined to cashout and continue playing the games you used to play.
    • Acespeci
      Acespeci
      Bronze
      Thanks for your advice everyone. Going to take the advice to move up 1 level on my $50 bankroll (what i had before the $450 winnings) and play the $1000Gtd price freezeout tornament ($1 buy-in). Hoping to win the $450 again in the freeroll torny again :D
    • crownster
      crownster
      Bronze

This is the best thing you can do with the money you won. Spending it on some present for yourself will only bring you temporary joy. Where as if you invest it in at least a semi-decent coach, you should make alot more of it. Trying to learn on your own through books, and forums helps, but it wont make u a huge winner. Also dont look for "cheap" coaching, cause you will get 'cheap' advice. Get someone who is well known and charges min $50/hr. Take like $250 and book 5 x 1hr sessions or whatever you can get for that and keep the other $250 to play.
      I started getting coached in May, broke even in June, havent had a loosing month since July and am currently having my biggest month ever! :D

Edit:typo
      Could you recommend me your coach? I would be highly interested! Thank you
    • Acespeci
      Acespeci
      Bronze
      Thanks for your advice but pokerstrategy is my coach for now. When i move out of micros i will hire a coach.
    • ExternalUseOnly
      ExternalUseOnly
      Bronze
      Originally posted by Acespeci
      Thanks for your advice but pokerstrategy is my coach for now. When i move out of micros i will hire a coach.
      Good idea :) whilst you could hire a coach at micros i think its better to just put that money towards moving up the stakes where a coach will benefit more
    • Saren113
      Saren113
      Gold
      I play with almost 300 bis at the 180 man 2.5$, I am beating the limit.