Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has Q:heart: K:heart:

UTG raises to $0.30, fold, fold, Hero calls $0.30, fold, fold

Flop: ($0.75, 2 players) T:diamond: K:diamond: 8:club:
      UTG bets $0.55, Hero calls $0.55

Turn: ($1.85, 2 players) Q:spade:
      UTG checks, Hero bets $1.40, UTG raises to $3.95, Hero calls $2.55

River: ($9.75, 2 players) 3:club:
      UTG checks, Hero checks

Hero shows Q:heart: K:heart: (Two Pair, Kings and Queens) (Pre 46%, Flop 89%, Turn 77%)
      UTG shows J:club: J:spade: (One Pair, Jacks) (Pre 54%, Flop 11%, Turn 23%)
      Hero wins $9.10

I thought this was a pretty interesting hand. Not entirely sure I played it right though.

Villain is largely unknown, but seemed pretty competent over the first 60 or so hands played with him (lol sample size, I know).

On the flop, I didn't see much value in raising. I would essentially only force out his bluffs. Yes, there can be plenty of bad cards on the turn, but I figured it would be better to evaluate than to essentially turn my hand into a bluff.

The turn was a pretty great card for me. The only draws that got there are J9, AJ and QQ. However, he probably doesn't raise J9 from UTG, and I don't see why he would ever check if he hit a straight or trips on this board. The same goes for if he had KK, TT or 88, really. There's absolutely no reason for him to check those hands. So I was pretty confident my two pair were good here. So I bet pretty big (could be bigger?) because of the wet board.

And he check-raised... Because of what I mentioned before, I don't expect him to ever have a hand that has me beat here, so he probably is still on some sort of draw here. So I called, to potentially let him bluff the river.

And on the river... :facepalm:

I should have bet. I really don't know why I didn't. As I said, I essentially had the nuts, imo.

Input? Is there anything I missed here?
  • 1 reply
    • BogdanPS
      Hi Tino,

Preflop: Looks fine. 3-betting turns our hand into a bluff + SB/BB seem fish.

Flop: Looks fine and I agree with your thoughts. Raising would not be good as not much worse will continue.

Turn: I like our bet size, and unless we've been in spots like this a lot, where he can assume we float a lot, I wouldn't give him much credit for the raise either. Most regs are thought to bet/bet/bet with strong hands without reads (and you can't really have many reads in 60 hands).

I can see him ck/raising hands like JJ, QJ, TJ and maybe AJdd since that's the pure nuts with huge redraw.

River: As played I wouldn't check the river. When we called the turn we looked like we had a draw, maybe weak made hand so I wouldn't mind betting $1-$2 to induce either a light call or raise (and I'm sure he'd have a hard time folding JJ to your small bet).