A complete newbie wonders (SNG HUD)

• Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Hi folks,

As the thread states, I'm a complete newbie in SNG, I haven't even received my Bronze yet, so please be tolerant to my ignorance!

Although I've never played SNG before, I'm a bit familiar with PokerStrategy and I'm very very very happy to come to this awesome school again! Just wanted to begin by saying you thanks in advance :)

Now, I'll be short. HUD. I used Elephant when I was playing low limit NL-SSS, and I remember it being very useful. I have no idea though, whether it is equally important in 1 table SNGs. Does Elephant differentiate between different tournament stages and can provide relevant and useful stats for each?

If it is indeed a good tool for SNG (or at least own stats and hand posting), I can't seem to find it in the Poker Tools tab (my low rank?).

Finally, any other essential software? I have both ICM trainers...and this is my only guideline how to play SNG stage 3 so far :) Still, I already have managed to get all three winning places just by trying to copy ICM.

That's pretty much it. I'll save the rest of my questions until I actually get access to some theory articles.

Thanks!
  • 6 replies
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      I think Elephant development was stopped some time ago. So I would recommend to get HEM2.

SNG are focused on preflop quite much so basic HUD should have at least VPIP, PFR and steal stats. Other nice ones are things like 3bet, BB fold to steal, limp-fold and some postflop statistics like cbet and aggresion factor. Those take time to get enough sample though.

Good tools are also sng wizard (for push and call situations) and icm explorer (e.g. for situations where you get 3bet shoved after open raising). There are some others also, but those are more than enough for start :)
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Thanks ghaleon. I think I will have to move a bit higher that SNG 1$ buy-ins first to make investments like HM2 worth it :) But that is exactly what I was wondering and is indeed very helpful!
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      I have another quick question. SnG Wizard turned out to cost another hundred dollars. Can PS ICM Trainer substitute SnG Wizard at least for the beginning, at least for micro-limits?
    • kurrkabin
      kurrkabin
      Bronze
      I would say-yes. It wilk give you the basic ideas of how ICM works, so its helpful for begginers.
    • ghaleon
      ghaleon
      Black
      Sorry forgot to mention that those are not free. Well sng wizard does offer 30 day free trial. ICM explorer is free for games with (50/30/20) price structure. 20$ (or was it €) to open other games.

ICM trainer is fine for understanding ICM, but downside is that villains in micro games tend to be quite far from optimal play from ICM view. You could check some call spots with help of ICM explorer (to get how much equity you need from ICM view) and then check how your hand does versus range you expect villain to shove with free tool like equilab that can be found from poker tools section.
    • Th334
      Th334
      Bronze
      Thanks guys. Although technically I managed to figure out how to perform the test ghaleon was talking about, I'm still too far away from making any useful inferences from it :) Perhaps I will save this trick for later, when I (hopefully) know much more about ICM.

Very helpful indeed. I wouldn't even know about the existence of ICM explorer if I didn't ask you here :)